Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
I've spent about 10 hours with the Golden µmax, but I have some experience with metal detectors in general.

As I worked, I've collected all of the trash that I've dug and looked it over before pitching it. I find that the types of trash and the frequency at which I recover trash targets is useful information and acts as an indicator of what to expect in the future.

Anyhow, I noticed that the smallest piece of trash that I recovered was a pulltab tail that somehow had been cut in half - probably by a lawn mower. That is not really all that small. I know from using another detector that I should have run into at least a handful of micro-trash targets by now, but I am just not getting them with the Golden and stock coil.

Is it possible that the Golden has been given a much higher threshold before it responds to a target than other Tesoro's? That would explain why it bottoms out on depth earlier than comparably priced units from Tesoro and it would also help make it much more effective for plowing through trashier sites.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Top,i have picked up small pieces of aluminum with my Golden,even in wide notch mode.I really like wide notch mode.The signal on a nickel really gets better in wide notch.Have you noticed this?Over on another forum,Findmall~tesoro,a bulletin is up saying golden umax sales are halted.I hope it is not a technical issue.I bet Tesoro is out right now.So you are lucky you got one.This golden is my favorite detector for standard park hunting.I have got some silver with this thing.I really enjoy the tones.Never had a tone detector before.And really like the notch also.Because of these features is why the depth lags.All detectors will have the depth effected when features such as tones,notch,etc..are added.Stay around and let me know how you are doing with the golden,because not many hunt with one,they do not know what they are missing. o_O

OP
OP
T

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
Spirit, half of the end of a beaver-tail is pretty smallish, but I find stuff less than half that size with another unit. I should also flatly state that I am not really concerned about my bottom end depth - this is my park raider and 6-8" on quarters is plenty.

I just like to understand how or why a metal detector does what it does. For my intended use of the Golden, if it takes a blind eye towards odorous little micro pieces of metal waste, I see that as a positive.

I generally am not using the notches yet, but the last time that I was out I decided that I wanted to cherry pick because I only had about 50 minutes. So I tossed the notch to wide and in that 50 minutes I recovered 11 quarters, 2 pennies, and a single nickel while digging just 3 pieces of trash. Zero zinc, though I could hear the Golden pop and click when I went over one. Anyhow, $2.82 in clad in 50 minutes isn't too bad, especially since I was making the recoveries in frozen ground and could have done even better with normal ground conditions.

I agree, I was pretty fortunate to have gotten a Golden. Supposedly the missing piece that is holding up production comes from parts used for the new tones. Anyhow, I got the golden because I wanted a cleansweep first. I thought that the Golden would be the best detector in Tesoro's line-up to pair with that coil. I haven't yet gotten the cleansweep - but the Golden has been so pleasant to use that you might consider me a Tesoro loyalist at this time :).

I've been using a Coinstrike for the last decade and it is a 4-tone detector. So I am completely at home with the Golden - really love it for sites where the targets will be in the top six inches. The pin point sometimes makes me wonder why I bought a probe. The all metal audio is good enough where I am starting to accurately gauge the depth based on how loud the return is. It is just an outstanding piece of engineering and I find myself wanting to get a broader range of coils so I can make better use of it. So yeah, I will stay around :)

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Ok,that is a nice take for 50mins! I know were you are going i think with the original question.Look at the khz rating of the other detector of yours that hits the smaller stuff.The golden runs at 10khz.Designed mostly as a coin machine,which it does make a great jewelry detector also.If your other detector runs any higher than 10khz,this is your answer.You see the lower the khz the better for coins.The higher end of khz the better the detector will hit on smaller lower conductivity stuff.That is why all gold detectors run real high khz such as 18-20khz.I bet this is your answer.Look at the rating of the other detector,i bet it is around 14khz.You talk of wanting a good coil for the golden?.I got the Outlaw this past summer and the 12x10 DD that came with it and put it on the golden,man it is great.I think they can be had if you call the dealer and ask to order one.I have a pretty good collection of coils going even though two got stolen out of my apartment last month.I am now getting ready to get the 8.5DD.I also want the 12x10 concentric for more open areas to get the depth on deep coins.The 12x10 concentric will give the most depth on the golden out of any other coil offered.Get back if you check the khz of your other detector. :-D

OP
OP
T

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, a 12x10 is on the list. But I will hold out for the DD version of it - I'd want it more for coverage than depth.

The Coinstrike runs at 7khz, but it is a pretty odd detector - it's Fisher's answer to the QXT. :tongue3: I am going to get a Cibola in part to have something running at a higher frequency.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread