_2.temp.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! :hello2: I love mine! :skullflag:

Attachments

• Smallshark.png
    Smallshark.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 301

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very impressive!

Are you using the 8" or the 10.5" coil?

And are you mostly finding stuff in wet sand,
shallow salt water, deeper salt water, or what?

I'm thinking seriously of getting one with the 10.5" coil.
Any thoughts on which coil might work better in wet So. Calif.
beach sand at low tide?

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
TallTom said:
Very impressive!

Are you using the 8" or the 10.5" coil?

And are you mostly finding stuff in wet sand,
shallow salt water, deeper salt water, or what?

I'm thinking seriously of getting one with the 10.5" coil.
Any thoughts on which coil might work better in wet So. Calif.
beach sand at low tide?

I had the 8" coil and I now have the 10.5.
One thing I've been told is the 8" is more sensitive to smaller gold and silver jewelry and I've found a lot with the 8 and my buddy has the 8 as well and he does ridiculously well. If I told you what he's found in 6 months you would definitely think I was a liar! He seems to miss nothing but maybe that's because he grids when hitting a target patch. The ten is said to cover more area because of the larger coil, said to be 2" deeper but with adjusting the pulse with I don't think that's an issue. definitely still finds smalls too. They say it may lose sensitivity to smaller jewelry but I don't think that's the case fore sure. 8" looks super small but I miss it and in VCO mode it's still finds what I think the 10.5" will find. One thing for sure is the 8" is nice and light and didn't flop around in the heavy surf line.
10.5" is a bit heavier and started to feel uncomfortable on my shoulder during swings, it made me miss the 8".
Either way they are both lighter then other detectors.
If I had to recommend one I would suggest the 8" and honestly feel it covers a great amount of hunting area and if it's lighter then you can hunt longer in a sense still covering more ground.
The reason I started with the eight was my whites df pi coil could not pick up a 14k gold hoop earing that my buddies 8" sand shark found.
So I'm going back to the 8" as soon as possible.
I hunt wet sand and find a lot there, if nothing there I go up into the drier sand and found a lot of greenies and even jewelry that has been corroded from being lost in the water and blown up onto the dry sand by ruff surf and storms.
If you want the good stuff get in the water at waist and chest deep and wait to you here your targets. Good luck

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
SpiritRelic said:
I'm speechless.This is unreal :-!

Seriously? I've been bummed out because the beach wasn't huntable for a while. Should be finding lots more.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the 8" coil and I now have the 10.5.
One thing I've been told is the 8" is more sensitive to smaller gold and silver jewelry and I've found a lot with the 8 and my buddy has the 8 as well and he does ridiculously well. If I told you what he's found in 6 months you would definitely think I was a liar! He seems to miss nothing but maybe that's because he grids when hitting a target patch. The ten is said to cover more area because of the larger coil, said to be 2" deeper but with adjusting the pulse with I don't think that's an issue. definitely still finds smalls too. They say it may lose sensitivity to smaller jewelry but I don't think that's the case fore sure. 8" looks super small but I miss it and in VCO mode it's still finds what I think the 10.5" will find. One thing for sure is the 8" is nice and light and didn't flop around in the heavy surf line.
10.5" is a bit heavier and started to feel uncomfortable on my shoulder during swings, it made me miss the 8".
Either way they are both lighter then other detectors.
If I had to recommend one I would suggest the 8" and honestly feel it covers a great amount of hunting area and if it's lighter then you can hunt longer in a sense still covering more ground.
The reason I started with the eight was my whites df pi coil could not pick up a 14k gold hoop earing that my buddies 8" sand shark found.
So I'm going back to the 8" as soon as possible.
I hunt wet sand and find a lot there, if nothing there I go up into the drier sand and found a lot of greenies and even jewelry that has been corroded from being lost in the water and blown up onto the dry sand by ruff surf and storms.
If you want the good stuff get in the water at waist and chest deep and wait to you here your targets. Good luck

Thanks for all the feedback! You have been very helpful.
I'll be making a decision soon. Looking forward to getting my
feet wet after all the time I've spent on dry sand.

Tom

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been thinking about going to the 8" coil also. What is the process, do I send it in the the factory or due I just buy the 8" coil and swap it myself? What will I be looking at in cost?

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's a newer machine it's hard wired in and you cannot change the coil yourself. If you did manage to do it anyway you would void your lifetime warranty and possibly cause a leak which would most likely ruin your machine. Either way if you tamper with it you will not be covered. I would strongly recommend sending it in to Tesoro. You can call them and get advice on your options.
I would hate to see such a great machine get damaged.
They are pretty awesome people and value there customers and their satisfaction. Good luck!

DirtyTrinkitDigger

Nov 6, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
SE Explorer Pro, Excalibur 1000, Pro Find 25, BlissTool LTC64X v.3, Tesoro Tiger Shark, ATPro, Pro Pinpointer,
White's Beach Hunter ID 300 and Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that an Anderson shaft setup you have on your Sand Shark? Super finds by the way.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
DirtyTrinkitDigger said:
Is that an Anderson shaft setup you have on your Sand Shark? Super finds by the way.

No not an Anderson. I would never pay for that over priced shaft! Made one myself for under $20.
Home depot plus a little thinking saves you.....$150 if I'm not mistaken. Bought a car wash soap pole handle (aluminum) by the way and a set of bar end handle grips cut off the weird twist like bend to it and extended it with a small piece of aluminum pipe, drilled and popped a rivet and covered it with the grip from my sand sharks shaft. Oh and it had a 90 degree Angle so I heated it with a propane torch and bent it downward.
I made my shaft 4" longer than the original so now I get a super wide swing. Covers a nice 6-8' path allowing for more coverage area being hunted.
I actually think this shaft is lighter than the original one and plenty strong! There are videos on you tube on how to do this.
Why waste money on a simple specialty item that you could make yourself.
Straight shaft is so much more comfortable to detect with.
If you choose to go at it and need help, let me know.

DirtyTrinkitDigger

Nov 6, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
SE Explorer Pro, Excalibur 1000, Pro Find 25, BlissTool LTC64X v.3, Tesoro Tiger Shark, ATPro, Pro Pinpointer,
White's Beach Hunter ID 300 and Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response on the shaft. I will check YouTube for info.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread. I have a Garrett AT Pro but am looking for something better in the saltwater. Does anyone know the diffrences between the Sandshark and the Tigershark? Thanks!

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimendave said:
Great thread. I have a Garrett AT Pro but am looking for something better in the saltwater. Does anyone know the diffrences between the Sandshark and the Tigershark? Thanks!

Tiger shark is for fresh water, sand shark is made for salt water.

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just replaced my Excal II with a Sand Shark. Im a big Minelab fan but was having too many problems with this unit . My old Excal 1000 ran just fine.

A friend who uses a Sand Shark would find finer gold necklaces that I would swing right over. Im real excited about this machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions