Experts opinion

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York! First, make your own comparisons:

TESORO VAQUERO [TESORO VAQUERO] - $446.25 : New England Detectors USA, Discover the Detectorist in you

Tesoro Outlaw with 3 Coils Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

The main differences are operating frequency - Outlaw 10.6 kHz; Vaquero 14.3kHz-14.5kHz-14.7kHz and the number of coils that come with the machine (Vaquero 1; Outlaw 3). There are some other differences, but these are the major ones.

The positives and negatives, depend entirely on what you are hunting! Good Luck!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey Terry,

Would you say that the Vaquero was a better detector if it had the same coils? Or would you say they are equally good but actually do slightly different things to accomplish the same thing, find treasure?

Thanks,

PTP

OP
OP
kjb1769

kjb1769

Greenie
Jan 26, 2013
I'm planning a purchase of one of the Tesoro detectors. My primary expected use would be dry land coin hunting. Old iron is neat but old silver is neater. Public parks with clad coins would just be to fill in time and learn the machine so I have leaned away from the TID screens and and depth prediction bells & whistles. The Outlaw with three coils is obviously an enticement, and I understand they that in certain situations a particular coil is probably more ideal than the other two but you can still only use one at a time. The Vaquero is a proven workhorse.
What would be the ideal situation to take the Outlaw and leave the Vaquero or vice versa?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know more about the Tesoro detectors.
What is the difference between the Vaquero and the Outlaw?
What would be the pros and cons between the two?
Thanks
Geez guys, can't you visit the Tesoro site and look it up yourself?

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other

Not today. Their website is down again. It seems like the website has been down a lot since the new year.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey Terry,

Would you say that the Vaquero was a better detector if it had the same coils? Or would you say they are equally good but actually do slightly different things to accomplish the same thing, find treasure?

Thanks,

PTP

I will be honest and say that in my opinion, the Vaquero will do everything the Outlaw will do - If - you buy the additional coils :headbang:

12" x 10" Widescan (COIL-12x10W-SC-G; includes scuff)(S) $169
5¾" Round Concentric (COIL-5.75RC-SC-G; includes scuff)(S) $129

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm planning a purchase of one of the Tesoro detectors. My primary expected use would be dry land coin hunting. Old iron is neat but old silver is neater. Public parks with clad coins would just be to fill in time and learn the machine so I have leaned away from the TID screens and and depth prediction bells & whistles. The Outlaw with three coils is obviously an enticement, and I understand they that in certain situations a particular coil is probably more ideal than the other two but you can still only use one at a time. The Vaquero is a proven workhorse.
What would be the ideal situation to take the Outlaw and leave the Vaquero or vice versa?

Again, this goes back to, "What are you hunting?" if you're going after Silver dimes at 8" - 11" I might choose the Outlaw (10.6kHz) and the 8" round. If I was looking for gold rings at the same depth, I would choose the Vaquero (14.7khz) with the 9" stock coil.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Again, this goes back to, "What are you hunting?" if you're going after Silver dimes at 8" - 11" I might choose the Outlaw (10.6kHz) and the 8" round. If I was looking for gold rings at the same depth, I would choose the Vaquero (14.7khz) with the 9" stock coil.

Terry, what coil would you use on the Vaquero if you were trying to get silver dimes at the 8"-11"?or is that hard to accomplish with any coil for the Vaquero?

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Topdecker said:
Not today. Their website is down again. It seems like the website has been down a lot since the new year.

I don't understand. I haven't had any problems accessing their website but I keep hearing a lot of people say that.

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand. I haven't had any problems accessing their website but I keep hearing a lot of people say that.

Its up for me now. They've had problems - you've just been lucky enough not to see it. I've been building a coil collection from used coils and keep dropping in to see what I am missing :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, what coil would you use on the Vaquero if you were trying to get silver dimes at the 8"-11"?or is that hard to accomplish with any coil for the Vaquero?

I would slap on the 10" Elliptical Widescan and start gridding.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would slap on the 10" Elliptical Widescan and start gridding.
That's the one I'm planning on getting, but what advantage does it have at finding silver coins at those depths compared to the stock? Would it be that much better at finding quarters at those depths as well?

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I live in NY so mineralization doesn't seem to be too bad. Would it still be worth it to get a DD in that case?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the one I'm planning on getting, but what advantage does it have at finding silver coins at those depths compared to the stock? Would it be that much better at finding quarters at those depths as well?

First, it is slightly larger than the stock coil and, second, it has a slightly different search field. The key here is gaining depth on silver dime sized objects. At that size you do not need extreme sensitivity (which cuts your depth), but you do need the transmission power of a larger coil. I use the more powerful 10" eliptical with a narrow search field to precisely grid 10' x 10' squares if I hit old coins deep. After that I bring in a larger coil or PI machine to clean it up.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it still be worth having even if I don't have much mineralization where I hunt. Also what if I'm also looking for silver quarters/halves?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would it still be worth having even if I don't have much mineralization where I hunt. Also what if I'm also looking for silver quarters/halves?

Sorry Bobby, only you can answer that question. Best of luck!

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think they are more interested in the real world capabilities of the two detectors rather than the differences in technical specification. I own the Outlaw and my neighbour has the Vaquero so I get to mess with both of them pretty regularly. In general, I would have to agree that the Vaquero is deeper than the Outlaw and I would for sure agree with Terry, the Vaquero will go deeper for gold while the Outlaw is better with Silver. Interestingly (and I am not sure why) the depth decreases in both as you get closer to 24 karat gold.

In spite of these differences, I still prefer my Outlaw with the big coil. The more I get used to the ground balance and the retune button, the better I like it.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question. Why is the 10" elliptical the cheapest coil tesoro makes?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions