Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8", Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys first post here. First let me say this is a great forum, lots of knowledge on here. Just received new Cibola got it all together and did some air tests to make sure everything was working, well I noticed with normal threshold and sens @ near max it would see a quarter about 6 1/2" a dime 6". I could turn threshold to max and get maybe 9" on quarter a dime about 8", does this sound right? I have read so much about the Cibola getting 13" on a quarter when super tuned I guess I am just a little disappointed. I know air tests don't mean much but my Silver Umax I had got about the same as the Cibola when not super tuned. I would appreciate any input, thanks again.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!

Enjoy the company and the knowledge. I too have a cibola and deleon, and others. But the cibola is my go to relic machine for depth and awesome pinpoint. Some detectors get you close, cibola gets you closer. Tesoro's do like iron though. Others members can give more fine points than I.

GOOD LUCK!

We like pictures, lots of pictures.

HI BOB!
RJGMC

bstover

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro outlaw, Tesoro Silver Umax, Minelab Safari, Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie as well. I really like Tesoro detectors. I would say build a test garden let it rest a few days where you dug it. Heck maybe something interferring in the house. cordless phone, wireless internet etc. I am sure when you get to swinging it for real you will like it although the little silver is a great machine.

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
My air tests... Conducted indoors.

Tesoro Cibola, 9x8 stock coil, sensitivity 10, normal threshold hum

Discrim @ Iron
Dime 6"
Penny 6.5"
Quarter 7"
Nickel 7.5"

Discrim @ 1 notch before nickel
Dime 5"
Penny 5.5"
Quarter 6"
Nickel 3"

Discrim @ 1 notch before MAX
Dime 5"
Penny 5"
Quarter 6"
Nickel <discriminated>

Keep in mind that these were solid, solid 100% always diggable hits. I was not noting clicks or pops, but solid round-sounding tones. My results are ultra-conservative. Super-tuning will add quite a bit more depth, with a dime jumping from 6" out to 9" and quarter going from 7" out to 10" or so.

I will also say that I probably need to move my tests to the outdoors. Evident or not, there is a lot of EMI inside a household.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back your sensitivity down a bit. These are the numbers you should be getting with a properly tuned coil - In my opinion. :occasion14:

Tesoro Cibola, 9x8 stock coil, Sensitivity 8, Threshold 3/4

Discrimination set just above Iron

Dime 7.5-8"
Penny 8"
Quarter 8"
Nickel 7.5-8"

Discrimination set just below nickel

Dime 7.5"
Penny 8"
Quarter 7.5"
Nickel 7"

Discrimination set just below maximum

Dime 6.5"
Penny 7.5"
Quarter 7"
Nickel <discriminated>

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry -

Those are numbers that I WANT to get :) I will try backing down the sensitivity. I will also move to an undisclosed outdoor location, just to remove household EMI from the equation.

OP
OP
T

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys, I just checked it again with the settings you recommended Terry and I got 6" on dime, 7" on quarter and 8" on nickle and yes I tried it inside and out with the same results. Not quite the results I have been seeing on videos, maybe needs to go back to Tesoro. I really wanted to like this detector but I guess you can get a bad one out of the bunch sometimes. Thanks again guys.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry -

Those are numbers that I WANT to get :) I will try backing down the sensitivity. I will also move to an undisclosed outdoor location, just to remove household EMI from the equation.

These numbers are IN GROUND numbers, not Air Tests! Just be patient, stop making yourself crazy, and when you can get out for some real swinging - then you'll have better results!

OP
OP
T

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry your ground numbers are better than my air tests, I know all about the halo effect but still, shouldn't the air test be greater than in ground?

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry your ground numbers are better than my air tests, I know all about the halo effect but still, shouldn't the air test be greater than in ground?

Mine goes much deeper than that supertuned in an airtest I am ranging 10.5 to 11 on a quarter, 8.5 on a dime, 12 on a nickel, and 8 on a penny. This is with Threshold maxed, sensitivity maxed but dropped just a hair to reduce chatter and discrimination just above Iron. It is possible a cordless phone or something transmitting wirelessly would be interfering with it. I bought a set of Sentry wireless headphones for my Fisher 1265x and a pair for my Cibola. When I outfitted them on the Fisher it actually helped it's depth a little bit, but when I attached it to the Cibola the depth dropped down dramatically. It was interfering with it bad.

OP
OP
T

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way I am getting those numbers, like I said I went outside, inside and different location and it didn't matter. 9" max on a quarter with threshold maxed and sens backed off a little, that is even on min disc.

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way I am getting those numbers, like I said I went outside, inside and different location and it didn't matter. 9" max on a quarter with threshold maxed and sens backed off a little, that is even on min disc.

I just don't understand it. :icon_scratch: I have heard that some run hotter than others but I own 2 of them and they air test the same measured. It is possible something in your area is interfering with it. I would try to air test it out in a field somewhere away from anything else electronic and see what you get. If not send it back and have them send you another one. If you send it in to Tesoro they will check it out and tune it up for you. I have heard of some getting deeper air tests after Tesoro adjust the trim pot inside for the ground balance. Don't really understand why that would help because it really shouldn't matter. But some say it do. Best of luck my friend. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
T

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dirtfisher, I will probably give them a call and see what they think, I know there is a Tesoro rep on here that will respond sometimes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NO.

bleaver

Greenie
Jun 10, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola (X2), Tesoro Golden Sabre, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sandshark, Fisher CZ-21 (X2), Garrett Pro Pointer, and 5, Yes thats 5, Stainless Steel Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The most I've gotten out of my Cibola is a silver dime that was 7 to 8 inches deep. That was without "super tuning". I think that's pretty respectable.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went through the same dilemma when I first got my Silver uMax. Don't plan on putting in a fresh test garden as it will not yield good results either. A test garden needs years to work properly. You need to be 100" plus away from your house if you have wireless internet or you will get interference. I solved my problem by simply forgetting the air test and just going out and using my detector. I would quit worrying about and got out and use that detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions