After looking. . .is the Outlaw basically a Golden umax?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey all,

Just been comparing detectors (because I can't decide) and it seems to me that the Outlaw is pretty similar to the Golden umax (minus the 4 tone ID). Em I missing something or are they very similar in their abilities and function?

Thanks for the input,

HH
PTP

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Outlaw has two all metal types, 180 or close to... ED so the disc range goes lower, no notch, has ground balance, perhaps goes deeper, retune (whatever that is), that's about it.

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
The Golden also has notch discrimination pre-set to knock out a bunch of the common trash items - even zinc pennies. It will cost you some good targets, too, but if you are just there to cherry pick, the Golden will get it done.

I don't own an Outlaw and cannot expand upon it's virtues.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Golden has Ground Balance in Disc. mode. Depending on your soil and method of hunting this could be a slight disadvantage.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Golden has Ground Balance in Disc. mode. Depending on your soil and method of hunting this could be a slight disadvantage.
Right,the golden does not have manual ground balance as the outlaw does.The golden has tone id, the outlaw does not.The golden has notch discrimination,the outlaw does not.The outlaw is similar to the bandiddo which was very well liked as one of the old favorites.The outlaw has true no motion all metal.

bleaver

Greenie
Jun 10, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola (X2), Tesoro Golden Sabre, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sandshark, Fisher CZ-21 (X2), Garrett Pro Pointer, and 5, Yes thats 5, Stainless Steel Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hey all,

Just been comparing detectors (because I can't decide) and it seems to me that the Outlaw is pretty similar to the Golden umax (minus the 4 tone ID). Em I missing something or are they very similar in their abilities and function?

Thanks for the input,

HH
PTP

The above responses are right on. I'd just add that the Outlaw is more an all around general purpose machine.
The Golden uMax is a specialty machine designed for increasing chances of finding gold jewelery. It can be used for general hunting but because it is a specialized it is more limited and has decreased effectiveness in some areas. That said, I do love the Golden and use it probably 75% of my time hunting.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not the same. The outlaw is more powerful. The Golden was designed as a coin machine. However, using the notch feature can help with gold jewelry.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
They are not the same. The outlaw is more powerful. The Golden was designed as a coin machine. However, using the notch feature can help with gold jewelry.

Would you say that the Outlaw is the most "powerful" of uMax detectors? People also talk about the Silver uMax being deep/powerful.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Right,the golden does not have manual ground balance as the outlaw does.The golden has tone id, the outlaw does not.The golden has notch discrimination,the outlaw does not.The outlaw is similar to the bandiddo which was very well liked as one of the old favorites.The outlaw has true no motion all metal.
Your right the Golden has no manual ground balance......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions