Just ordered new tesoro vaquero

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were missing a lot of fun. Try not to do the Happy Dance in front of people.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
I passed a ups truck coming home. And got excited and thought it was already delivered only to be disappointed when I got home to find no vaquero. I'm stoked about getting it I think it will be a step above everything else I've used

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Just got my vaquero in and assembled. And quickly I realized it is going to take a lot of practice. Seeing as this is my first manual gb machine and first machine that wasn't digital vdi. But I did some air tests and played around with it and have no worries. Seems like it's going to be an awesome machine once the user gets up to speed

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using a Vaquero for about a year. If you really take the time to learn it well and have a good spot for finding deep coins you will do good. The quality of the signal will tell you alot. Learn the different sounds When you get it down the good sounds will start to stand out. You will start noticing you are digging less and less treash. The only trash I dig is usually pull tabs, if I am not discriminating them out. good hunting. Michael

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Took it out this afternoon I had it supertuned I found some newer 22 caliber brass casings near the surface and a half of a horseshoe about 6" down. I need to find a good spot to detect now

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont regret your decision to buy the Vaquero!!

Just got my vaquero in and assembled. And quickly I realized it is going to take a lot of practice. Seeing as this is my first manual gb machine and first machine that wasn't digital vdi. But I did some air tests and played around with it and have no worries. Seems like it's going to be an awesome machine once the user gets up to speed

I sold off my Fisher 1280X to buy a new Vaquero and I will never look back. The only thing I wish the Vaquero had that it doesn't is waterproofness (is that a word? Well it is now!). Of course I sold a very waterproof Fisher to get the V but it was a weight issue with me as much as anything else. You will love the light weight aspect of the Vaquero and it is definitely a short learning curve. You will soon learn the Tesoro "language" and be digging up the good stuff in no time (if it is there to be found of course). Now after owning a Tesoro for only 6 months, I am seriously thinking about moving up to the Tejon. I can see no reason to use a VID type machine. I am starting to do more relic hunting now so I think the Teon is the machine to use.
Enjoy Southern Justice!
"Dtektor"

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Yeah I watched 53 silvers YouTube videos with the vaquero and he has some really good stuff on setting it up and also learning what the machine is trying to tell you. Very informative vids for learning a new machine.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like running my threshold right around the second O in tesoro. About the 2 oclock position. I like this setup better than supertuned because it lets me run a higher sensitivity setting ( usually max). It also lets me get a modulated audio, so I can tell the depth of a target. I can't tell that supertuned is any deeper than this setup.

OP
OP
Southern_Justice

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
I will keep that in mind and give it a try that would free up the pinpoint since you can't pinpoint when it's supertuned

bleaver

Greenie
Jun 10, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola (X2), Tesoro Golden Sabre, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sandshark, Fisher CZ-21 (X2), Garrett Pro Pointer, and 5, Yes thats 5, Stainless Steel Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The super tune is a great feature but I would recommend just tuning to normally to start. You get very good depth and normally no falsing "if you don't overdrive the sensitivity. I super tune occasionally but not all the time. When running in normal tune I will check a promising click in supertune momentarily.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold off my Fisher 1280X to buy a new Vaquero and I will never look back. The only thing I wish the Vaquero had that it doesn't is waterproofness (is that a word? Well it is now!). Of course I sold a very waterproof Fisher to get the V but it was a weight issue with me as much as anything else. You will love the light weight aspect of the Vaquero and it is definitely a short learning curve. You will soon learn the Tesoro "language" and be digging up the good stuff in no time (if it is there to be found of course). Now after owning a Tesoro for only 6 months, I am seriously thinking about moving up to the Tejon. I can see no reason to use a VID type machine. I am starting to do more relic hunting now so I think the Teon is the machine to use.
Enjoy Southern Justice!
"Dtektor"

what was so hot a bout 1280x any way

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just picked up a Vaquero myself. For the money, I don't think there is a detector out there that is as rugged and will go as deep. Now it's time to get all the accessories!

HH
PTP

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had luck with my Vaquero....found me quite a few good things. Heres a video I made with some of my finds with it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
522.gif
You were missing a lot of fun. Try not to do the Happy Dance in front of people.:icon_thumright:
Sandman ... You mean he should not do this happy dance.... 4399998250_c587a07c13_o.gif 4399998250_c587a07c13_o.gif

Last edited:

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what was so hot a bout 1280x any way

Well liftloop, it was a fathers day present from my daughter who heard me say something about being interested in metal detecting. The so called HOT thing about the 1280X was that you didn't have to worry about where you set it down, how far you walked into the water, just hose it down when you get home and dry it off. The Vaquero is: 1/2 the weight of the 1280X, deeper seeking, runs on (1) stinkin' 9 volt battery (vs 8 AAs), super easy to run, and hard to beat with any other detector for the money or even more money for that matter.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dtektor, love your avatar! Pirate flag sweet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread