New Compadre with 8" coil GOOD or BAD idea - First Detector

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the 8", that will give you a little more coverage and still give you a decent amount of separation. That is actually a good fit, I would think.

give it a shot,

HH
PTP

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would also pick the 8 inch coil. If you want to discriminate well in super-trashy areas, get the smaller one. If you want to sweep larger areas quicker, still doing pretty well in trashy areas, then get the bigger one. I have an 8 inch coil on my MicroMax Silver and it works quite well for me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also pick the 8 inch coil. If you want to discriminate well in super-trashy areas, get the smaller one. If you want to sweep larger areas quicker, still doing pretty well in trashy areas, then get the bigger one. I have an 8 inch coil on my MicroMax Silver and it works quite well for me.
The 8 inch coil is the best choice for most hunts except very trashy areas.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Tesoro. The Compradre is a good basic detector to use. The 8" coil will do most things that you would be initially interested in and you wouldn't have to work as hard covering an area with more sweeps versus a smaller coil.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be an excellent machine especially with the 8 inch coil.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go 8". You will get a little more depth on a great machine that already has top notch discrimination. The 5.75 will get a little less depth but be better at target separation in trashy areas. The 8" will still have decent separation, but the extra depth is worth it. You will love this detector for it's simplicity and effectiveness. It will pay for itself in no time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread