Best discrimination Tesoro?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't used em all but the Outlaw has the best I've ever used out of any mfg!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a silver umax and the discrimination on it is unbelievable! I was skeptical at first, but once I started digging and found the coins under the discriminated targets, I became a believer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the Tesoro's disc very well. It just depends on what you need to tune out.

NRA.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very tough call! ??? Even the Lobo Super Traq (which really loves big, deep iron at 17.9kHz), has a discrimination mode that is better than several other brands I have used. The Cortes, Vaquero, Cibola, Silver - they are all superior discriminators with the fastest reciovery times on the market today. The Vaquero has pretty much become my "everyday" machine over the last few months because it speaks to me so "clearly," telling me if I want to dig or not, and if there is something good hiding under that squarehead nail!

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree. I picked a Tesoro for my first detector because of the discriminator. I can literally take $15 worth of common parts and build an ugly, little metal detector that will reach more than 6 inches. The only problem with that plan is the total lack of discrimination. So, when I decided to spend $250 on a metal detector, I was paying for the discriminator. All of the Tesoros have the edge on discrimination quality. The world is full of questionable signals, but good targets will almost always give good, strong hits. Tesoros are also quite light weight. They're just fun machines.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with all who have commented. I have owned 2 Tesoros, and in my opinion, they have the best disc. I have used, hands down. The Guys in Prescott know what there doing!

HH
PTP

OP
OP
C

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a Vaquero and I hunt old home sites and civil war sites most of the time so I pretty much dig every signal hoping for a cannon ball or a gun. My dad likes to come with me but he is a little more picky on what he digs. So I was hoping to get him something that can discriminate well. Digging deep is not a necessity because he doesn't like to do much work. I have heard the Silver µMax is the best but I want to hear what yall think.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Silver is a nice detector but it doesn't have a manual ground balance. You may not need that depending on where you live, but if your relic hunting, I always thought that was a nice feature. If you are looking for a good relic machine and you don't want a manual ground balance, I would look at the Cibola. It's a great detector that will hunt well, the coils are interchangeable with the Vaquero and the Tejon. Just a little something to think about.

HH
PTP

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Silver uMax has the ED-120 (older?) discrimination circuitry. My Silver uMax also loses more depth with the higher discrimination levels than does my Vaquero. For "set it and forget it, dig everything" detecting it doesn't make much difference which one you get. But if you want to play "dial my target ID" with your discrimination knob or cherry pick silver then the Silver uMax is not as good of a choice.

Personally, I don't recommend the "dial my target ID" approach to detecting but many people appear to want to do it. But perhaps that's a topic for another thread... :tongue3:

Last edited:

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I would have to answer the best discriminating Tesoro detector would have to be the golden umax.This is what makes the golden.It has a huge range of discriminating capabilities.Also combined with tone id,it's hard to beat.The golden has a notch disc setup.Meaning notch can reject pulltabs and still hit nickels.The detector has a narrow notch setting or a wide notch setting.If you do not want to use notch,leave it off and just use the notch width variable control to adjust the tones you want for different conductivity of metal.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had bandito2 umax,like an idiot i sold it.But i have a lobo supertraq and its my all time favorite machine period anf that's not an obama period,its for real.I have been doing this since.93 and owned owned every premium machine.Whited xlt and did not like,to weak with 4" being about max.Minelab explorer make you wanna just wanna scream with all the tones.I do love the fisher cz's and my t2 but lobo is #1...

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the Outlaw with its SUPER pinpoint and three coils would serve you well! Its really a very good machine! I can disc out a dime and only get quarters, and with the 5.75" coil you'll be picking coins likes cherries from a tree.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say the Outlaw does have a phenomenal discriminator. It's not my favorite Tesoro, but it does have a great disc. I'm just so infatuated with the Deleon right now that I can't bring myself to use anything else. I don't use the disc on the Deleon beyond foil. The audio hits on coins so sweetly that you don't even need to look at the screen. You can tell the coins from the crap most of the time just from the audio. The display is icing on the cake.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon has two discriminators and is twice as good!

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had bandito2 umax,like an idiot i sold it.But i have a lobo supertraq and its my all time favorite machine period anf that's not an obama period,its for real.I have been doing this since.93 and owned owned every premium machine.Whited xlt and did not like,to weak with 4" being about max.Minelab explorer make you wanna just wanna scream with all the tones.I do love the fisher cz's and my t2 but lobo is #1...

I bought a Bandito 2 Umax awhile back for the wife. Almost new condition. I was going to sell it because it has been sitting in the closet since I bought it. Maybe I better give it a run for myself.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the one that's caught my eye is the tejon.I had a fisher 1266x and it had two disc.Very good idea but but to noisy a machine.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the one that's caught my eye is the tejon.I had a fisher 1266x and it had two disc.Very good idea but but to noisy a machine.

I run my Tejon with sens well into the red and have not had a noise problem, at least not in my mild sandy ground. They can be noisy if the ground balance is set to negative. That is an operator issue. I have only had mine a short time, but have never had an EMI issue. I think that most of noisy complaints are just from people running the sens. too high.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing with the 1266x was that it did not have ground balance,if it did it would have wicked as it was a hyper machine with low freq.it would have been hard to beat as a silver hunter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread