& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Can give you a really good rundown on this, but I think I would say the Lobo is the way to go, but I'll let him answer that!

HH
PTP

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, this is a very good question and one that I have been wondering about also. Look forward to the opinions.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me too. I am looking at a used tesoro inca.
12 khz.
I have a groundhog running 15khz.
I am looking into another detector for nugget shooting. Gold shooting.
The Gb is at 19 khz,and the
GB-2 is at 71 khz.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
It seems to be believed that the GB2 is better with smaller targets closer to the surface with the LST being better on larger targets that are deeper.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldbug Pro and the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq are Same/Same. The Goldbug II finds smaller sub-gram gold that the other two machines, but may give up some depth to the LST and GB Pro.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 to 2 grams is not considered tiny here in SoCal! Do you mean 1-2 grains? Even the Vaquero with the DD sniper coil, will find 1-2 grainers down to about 3". The Lobo or GB Pro would work just great for that size.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1-2grain, would in fact be "Sub-gram" gold. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I mean grams,not grains,I;ll take anything I
can find,lol. Think I'go with the Gold Bug Pro.
Terry,don't know if you remember me. I took over Les Benders position at Weaver
when he pasted away. Turned it over to Julie Hunter to run,when I moved up here
to Nevada last summer.The BLM is sure beating up the clubs down your way.
Ray

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I mean grams,not grains,I;ll take anything I
Ray
True Terry,
That's not super tiny gold though. Alot of these nuggets found around here are a few grains!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray

RAY! Sure I remember. I hope all is well. I still think about Les often. He was really a mentor to me, well, me and hundreds of others! I miss those devious blue eyes and our Arrowhead poker games! You will love the Goldbug Pro. Ray Mills raves about it. Playing any poker up there in Nevada? :icon_thumright:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply also Terry.
Will be calling you about a membership.
Need to get away from these mountains over here by Superior.
Just keep getting skunked no matter what I do.
Sluicing,panning,or MD.
Got lots of black sand though.

Buy the way.I have a chance for a Tesoro Inca.
12khz.
How would this compare to my Garrett Groundhog, at 15khz,the Master Hunter.

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your saying that you have the orginal Lobo? The orginal Lobo has manual ground balance, which is better for nugget hunting. Almost all nugget hunters if given the choice will use manual over auto. You probably already know the orginal Lobo operates at 20 khz, so you can't use the Lobo Super Traq coils on it since they operate at 17.8 khz. One thing that is intresting, you can use coils from the older Tesoro gold machines on the orginal Lobo. I have a Diablo II (1993), it uses the coils as the orginal Lobo, so I'm always on the look out for coils since I only have the 10" elliptical fore the Diablo II. I will say one thing though, I would rather use the Diablo II over the GB Pro any day of the week. I think the Diablo II is much more sensitive. I hope that Tesoro would bring something like the Diablo II or the Diablo uMax back out to compliment the LST.

Hello, have an older model Lobo,but due to the fact that 99% of the gold I find
is 'tiny' (1 to 2 grams). Am thinking a Fisher Gold Bug would give me better depth
and pick up the small 'pickers' easier. Have heard the Gold Bug is great at this!!
Anyone have comments on the Gold Bug. Thanks

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scott, I remember you talking about useing the V for nugget hunting, have you been doing any good with it?

True Terry,
That's not super tiny gold though. Alot of these nuggets found around here are a few grains!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found any nuggets yet, but I do feel good that if it were there I could find it with the Vaq (as long as I'm checking GB quite often). I have found tiny lead shot that weighs about 1 grain or less, in fairly mineralized areas around some local gold mines. I've only been to the known hot spots around here a couple times. I just found new a spot where people are pulling nuggets left and right it seems. Time to take a 2.5 hr trip to the desert and see for myself. I agree about the manual GB. There is a reason Dave J. no longer uses tracking in his newer designs. A Lobo with a tracking/manual GB option would be a great idea though!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread