First day out with Tesoro Golden Umax

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was a short hunt mostly wanted to learn the machine instead this is what I got... I still can not believe it.. the class ring will be going back to the young man to whom it belongs...it's got his name and jersey number on it..

ClassRing3-09-131a_zps0de0f5bd-1.jpg

Ring3-09-13ELHS_zps6cc5f30d.jpg

:headbang:

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
give us some details. . . where were you hunting? What were you doing? That's good stuff

Congrats!

HH
PTP

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The setting were exactly how 53silver shows on You-tube, except maybe the threshold , no discrimination,, notch width 12:00 position, mode in disc,, if you notice when I took the class ring picture they are not,, but I was adjusting the settings after I found the ring, just experimenting with it,, my phone died when I actually found the class ring and I had to go get my regular camera, I was hunting a play ground where I found the Avon ring and the class ring was at the practice field where the local schools football team practiceses
give us some details. . . where were you hunting? What were you doing? That's good stuff

Congrats!

HH
PTP

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CLASS RING UPDATE:

It just so happens a guy I work with,, has a son that Graduated the same year, he called the young man's Mom and she called me and was so excited, she said he lost it about 6months after he got the ring,, she could not believe it.. She's coming by after work today to pick it up... and I'm Glad...

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool!! Gotta Love the Tesoros!!!!:hello2:

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
My Golden umax hasn't given me any gold yet, but I love it all the same.

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the Golden umax. I can take it into trashy places and it is well behaved, fast, and accurate. I can push through areas at a solid, steady pace - there is little need for a second look or a pause for consideration; if it beeps, it is worth a look. If I come into the same area with another Tesoro detector, my swing time goes up and I slow down - I have to deal with more chirps, pops and clicks. At first I worried that I missing deeper targets, but I've recovered enough deep coins now to have developed an implicit trust that it will find pretty much anything coin-sized in the first seven inches or so. I don't understand how it can run this quiet and go that deep, but some how it does it.

Toss in a Tesoro warranty, a 2.2lb form factor, and a lovely selection of reasonably priced coils and I am one happy camper.

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you Topdecker,, talk about dynamite in small package, WOW, I may not find anything else this year, but I know if it's where I'm swinging the coil this thing will catch it,, I dug several hits of Can Slaw that gave the same tone as the rings and several pencil tops with erasers, I tried to use the notice width to give them a different tone but couldn't if I noticed it to much it would silents the gold ring tones (or goose sound),, but no more pulltabs and drink tops,, just dug the can slaw and pencil tops and in about 2hrs, I was heading home with 2 rings, I've never had a day like this before,, I think I could get use to it.....
My Golden umax hasn't given me any gold yet, but I love it all the same.

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the Golden umax. I can take it into trashy places and it is well behaved, fast, and accurate. I can push through areas at a solid, steady pace - there is little need for a second look or a pause for consideration; if it beeps, it is worth a look. If I come into the same area with another Tesoro detector, my swing time goes up and I slow down - I have to deal with more chirps, pops and clicks. At first I worried that I missing deeper targets, but I've recovered enough deep coins now to have developed an implicit trust that it will find pretty much anything coin-sized in the first seven inches or so. I don't understand how it can run this quiet and go that deep, but some how it does it.

Toss in a Tesoro warranty, a 2.2lb form factor, and a lovely selection of reasonably priced coils and I am one happy camper.

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
I was so busy singing praises to the Golden that I failed to congratulate for returning that ring. Thank you for being a good representative of our hobby - reconnecting people to the things that mark special events and times in their lives is both generous and compassionate.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Golden Sabre II in the mid 90's: it was one of the best detectors I've owned. I found more than one Indian Head at 8" plus. Halo effect or not, that ain't bed for auto ground balance. Just picked up a used one that cleaned up well that has the newer 10x12 on it. Gonna be like old times using this old friend again. Hunted one of my best sites ever in 95' found some great stuff. Love the notch too: a lot less trash dug...So what big differences are there between this older model and the Umax, looks aside?

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CLASS RING UPDATE:

It just so happens a guy I work with,, has a son that Graduated the same year, he called the young man's Mom and she called me and was so excited, she said he lost it about 6months after he got the ring,, she could not believe it.. She's coming by after work today to pick it up... and I'm Glad...

Nice ring finds, and congratulations you did the honest/ honorable thing. Good for you. HH. yelnif...

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man,, you got me,, this is the first Tesoro I've ever owned,, that would be a good question for some of the more experienced folks on here,, might start a new thread,concerning that . I'd like to know what others think about it.. HH with your ole lost friend...
I had a Golden Sabre II in the mid 90's: it was one of the best detectors I've owned. I found more than one Indian Head at 8" plus. Halo effect or not, that ain't bed for auto ground balance. Just picked up a used one that cleaned up well that has the newer 10x12 on it. Gonna be like old times using this old friend again. Hunted one of my best sites ever in 95' found some great stuff. Love the notch too: a lot less trash dug...So what big differences are there between this older model and the Umax, looks aside?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions