Is it wise?

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my new cibola detector and I am liking it at this point. Today was my first day away from the my own back yard. I notice a lot of people set there disc at iron or just above iron. I was doing the same. But for places like a park or a overrun place with a lot of trash and If I didn't care about trying to get rings, would it be wise to just set the disc at 3/4 just past tab and run with the unit. I did that today on my last run because I was picking up so many pull tabs on the previous runs and no coins. The last run produced me 27 cents. 1 quarter and 2 pennies(one was a wheatie too). I do notice if you start off above iron you get a better tone on coins but end up spending the time discriminating the tone to find out its trash. ???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coins are more conductive than pull tabs. You could set down a pull tab and turn disc knob till it just sounds funny and hunt that way. You won't get any gold rings except the huge ones this way unless you decide to dig the "funny sound." It just depends on how much fun you want to have. Even having a screen won't really help you and this hurts many hunters cause they leave things in the ground, like a tilted coin.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that if I'm hunting a trashy park, I will run the detector just above pull tab. I know this cuts down on my ability to hit gold unless its good size, but for me, I find it incredibly frustrating to dig continuously and have 4lbs of aluminum to show for it. Now, if I'm searching a field (soccer, football etc) I will run it just above Iron and dig everything that sounds good regardless of the disc. I guess it just all depends upon how much time you want to invest doing squats. :laughing7:

HH
PTP

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one thing weird about this cibola, i am finding out is that a nickle will disappear off the disc one line below 5c mark.

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey aluminum is 50 cents a lb now, that's 2 bucks in clad. LMAO.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's easy to loosen the knob and turn it to where in matched the nickle mark if you wish. I generally throw a nickel on the ground when I start hunting and turn the disc to where it crackles out, then turn it back to where the nickle just gets a solid acceptance. That way you know exactly what you have rather than depend on an arbitrary mark.
luvsdux

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my new cibola detector and I am liking it at this point. Today was my first day away from the my own back yard. I notice a lot of people set there disc at iron or just above iron. I was doing the same. But for places like a park or a overrun place with a lot of trash and If I didn't care about trying to get rings, would it be wise to just set the disc at 3/4 just past tab and run with the unit. I did that today on my last run because I was picking up so many pull tabs on the previous runs and no coins. The last run produced me 27 cents. 1 quarter and 2 pennies(one was a wheatie too). I do notice if you start off above iron you get a better tone on coins but end up spending the time discriminating the tone to find out its trash. ???

Just so you know; When a coin is deep and close to the edge of the detection range and you turn up the disc to check for coins, it will become trash also i.e., you will disc it out.
You gain up to 2 inches of depth when you turn the disc down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread