monolithic coil

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vaquero comes with a monolithic (carbon fiber) coil and the additional coils are listed as concentric. Is the mono_(means one)- lithic coil a new technology made out of/ or sealed in 'carbon fiber'? I believe the concentric and dd coils all have 2 coils- 1 for transmit and the other to receive. Is the monolithic coil replacing the others? better/worse? yelnif...???:dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to use a monolithic or carbon fiber coil and think it is only a marketing ploy to make the coil lighter.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, don't take my word for it, but monolithic usually means that something is made out of one solid piece, although it could also refer to the way the coil is driven (if its function is driven directly by a single chip that hosts all other functions as well). As a description, it's terribly vague. I would assume that there are three basic ways to make a search coil: wound wire, stamped sheet, and ceramic. There are probably lots of other ways, but these three seem to be the most economical. A search coil can be made out of any conductive thing that is organised to provide suitable field characteristics. These considerations go hand in hand with coil shape (concentric, elliptical, double-D, butterfly, et cetera). It would be nice to know just what they mean by "monolithic."

OP
OP
yelnif

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sandman,olfacere for the reply- I just sent e-mail to Tesoro tech support. It will be interesting to see what they have to say. HH. yelnif...
olfacere- 'monolithic' means; mono(one/single), lithic(stone)- I guess a singlestone detector coil? LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yelnif

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it has been a week now- no answer from Tesoro. May call them tomorrow, as the better half thinks my e-mail might have gone to thier spam because we don't use microsoft outlook as our default mail. teohno crap. I did post another ? in the tech. forum about tuning the coil to the electronics. yelnif...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions