Cibola coil help?

likestojump

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to detecting and need a little help with buying a new coil, mainly looking for opinions from people who have actually used the different coils. I mainly relic hunt, just looking for something that will help me discriminate a little better, Im using the stock coil now. Im not sure if I should go with the Round Widescan, Round Concentric, 12x10" Widescan or 12x10" SEF (Butterfly).

Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
L

likestojump

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking the 5.75 round concentric or the 8" round concentric.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to detecting and need a little help with buying a new coil, mainly looking for opinions from people who have actually used the different coils. I mainly relic hunt, just looking for something that will help me discriminate a little better, Im using the stock coil now. Im not sure if I should go with the Round Widescan, Round Concentric, 12x10" Widescan or 12x10" SEF (Butterfly).

Thanks for any help.

WHERE do you hunt - What State? Is your soil red, black, or brown?

WHAT are you trying to discriminate? Iron? Foil?

If you are "Relic" hunting I must assume you would only discriminate iron. If the Cibola is working for you, I must also assume your soil has light to moderate mineralization. Larger coils will give better DEPTH, not better discrimination. A Double D coil will not help you in your soil so I would go with the Tesoro 12" x 10" Widescan (COIL-12x10W-SC-G; includes scuff) for some added depth. IMPORTANT - Since your machine has a preset ground balance you MUST send your machine back to Tesoro to have the new coil balanced and tuned to your machine for the best depth and results. - Good Luck! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
L

likestojump

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in SC near the coast, its mostly sand and black dirt. Mostly just trying to discriminate Iron and Aluminum, Im not sure exactly what is going on but the bigger older iron is hitting around gold and silver. Im not worried so much about depth, most of the stuff I dig is around 2-8".

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in SC near the coast, its mostly sand and black dirt. Mostly just trying to discriminate Iron and Aluminum, Im not sure exactly what is going on but the bigger older iron is hitting around gold and silver. Im not worried so much about depth, most of the stuff I dig is around 2-8".

You are pretty much goat penned in your soil. If you want to find gold, you have to leave aluminum in and knock out iron only, and that means big, deep iron is going to give you a ragged signal. You need to FOCUS on learning the ever-so-slight differences in signal tone when your machine tells you something is there. Deep iron has a distinct sound on the Cibola and Vaquero. It is not a clean "zip-zip," but more of a "rripp-rripp." Another 25-hours on the headphones and you will hear it clearly.

OH! and turn DOWN your sensitivity!!! Yes, you read me right. Turn your Sensitivity down to 6-7, Threshold at 2:30pm, Discrimination just a hair below Nickel - and run that for a week. Just trust me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

likestojump

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill give that a try, I normally run with the threshold wide open and sensitivity around 10-11, I normally run discrimination on the line between nickel and iron. I have probably run it this way for the past 20-30 hrs.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ill give that a try, I normally run with the threshold wide open and sensitivity around 10-11, I normally run discrimination on the line between nickel and iron. I have probably run it this way for the past 20-30 hrs.

I figured that was how you were running the machine. Try my settings for a week, me and let me know what you think.

OP
OP
L

likestojump

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any downside to running it like I was? Do you think I was passing over anything?

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious about this too... Are you telling him to run those settings because of his soil? Idk how running the sensitivity at 6-7 can be beneficial for the deeper stuff at least

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I know a bunch of Cibola hunters that do not send the detector in to use another coil.It will do fine if you change coils.I do it all the time on my golden umax with no trouble. :-D

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious about this too... Are you telling him to run those settings because of his soil? Idk how running the sensitivity at 6-7 can be beneficial for the deeper stuff at least

EVERY newbie hears about "Super tuning" and automatically thinks this will work all the time in every soil - it does not. Sensitivity is misunderstood by most new hunters. I'll break it down like this - If it is a foggy night, can you see further with your bright light on, or your dimmed light on? You can actually CUT your depth by using too much sensitivity in some soil situations. Too much gain, too much volume, and you lose the ability to hear the small or deeper targets. Do you turn your stereo speakers up to 10, or run them around 7, so you can hear the individual instruments? The settings I am telling you to use are a “Base” setting. Once you see the depth and stability you are getting, THEN you can adjust up or down for your soil conditions.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a bunch of Cibola hunters that do not send the detector in to use another coil.It will do fine if you change coils.I do it all the time on my golden umax with no trouble. :-D

Once again, if you DO send the machine and coil in to be tuned and phased, you WILL get much better depth and discrimination. Your choice, my opinion.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there any downside to running it like I was? Do you think I was passing over anything?

Yes, and yes. You have already found one bad aspect of running your settings too hot - depth instability and decreased discrimination abilities. These problems have you looking for a different coil, rather than trying to adjust your settings. Classic new hobbyist mistake. LEARN your machine. That takes at LEAST 50-75 hours on the headphones. That usually adds up to 12-20 detecting sessions. The three “P’s” -Patience, Practice, Persistence.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Once again, if you DO send the machine and coil in to be tuned and phased, you WILL get much better depth and discrimination. Your choice, my opinion.
The way you describe it with all the drama saying you have to send it and the coil in to be retuned to that coil.Why don't you add to it that it will work just fine in most cases? As i stated before with the golden umax i have used five different coils with no noticeable lose in performance,and it has preset ground balance.I think you are misleading users saying you have to do something,when in fact in most cases you do not.And,you are not telling the whole story.If you want top performance you get the coil and detector turned to the sample of dirt you are hunting.I say you MUST put the coil you want on the Cibola and go hunt treasure! :-D

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way you describe it with all the drama saying you have to send it and the coil in to be retuned to that coil.Why don't you add to it that it will work just fine in most cases? As i stated before with the golden umax i have used five different coils with no noticeable lose in performance,and it has preset ground balance.I think you are misleading users saying you have to do something,when in fact in most cases you do not.And,you are not telling the whole story.If you want top performance you get the coil and detector turned to the sample of dirt you are hunting.I say you MUST put the coil you want on the Cibola and go hunt treasure! :-D

You are free Spiritrelic to do and say as you please - so am I. If you want to miss a silver coin by 1/2"-1" because your coil was not tuned to your machine so be it. Call Nathan Jaeger at Tesoro, and see what his advice is for optimum results.

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiosity, if I send in my cibola to have it tuned to say a 5.75 concentric coil does that mean my stock coil is not going to be tuned "properly" or any other coils I may have for the unit. Do they tune the unit or the coil? Why I ask is if I decide to upgrade my detector to a higher end model tesoro and decide to keep the cibola, will I be able swap coils from one unit to the other?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiosity, if I send in my cibola to have it tuned to say a 5.75 concentric coil does that mean my stock coil is not going to be tuned "properly" or any other coils I may have for the unit. Do they tune the unit or the coil? Why I ask is if I decide to upgrade my detector to a higher end model tesoro and decide to keep the cibola, will I be able swap coils from one unit to the other?

Your stock coil is ALREADY tuned to your machine, nothing changes when you buy more coils and have them tuned to it as well. When you move up to a Vaquero with manual ground balancing, then you can use all of your Cibola coils on it as well without tuning, because you can do the ground balancing manually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread