Confused about the 2 disc knobs...

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious about dual discrimination as well.Maybe it is disc on two different frequencies.
I'm planning to upgrade from my Cibola to a Tejon, but I've never used a machine with 2 seperate discrimination knobs. Can somebody please explain to my what the purpose of 2 is and how it works?
Thank you

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You set disc *1* to say "iron" and disc 2 to like foil or pull tab

(this means that in disc 1 you have iron/nails blocked and in disc 2 you have foil or pulltabs or whatever blocked)

but

while hunting - your hunting in disc one

and so when you come across a target and get a beep - you can push the trigger forward and click into disc 2 to check the target to make sure it's something you're looking for (or see if it's something you're not looking for)

it's a pretty cool feature

disc 1 at iron and disc 2 just below nickel and you'll be able to find everything at nickel and higher by switching back and forth as you check targets

or say you're hunting for gold rings and coins

you set disc 1 at iron and disc 2 right at foil - this will allow the machine to see most gold but block everything below and when you get a beep - you check to see if it's something above foil by pushing the trigger forward into disc 2 and if it still sounds off - you know it's something higher than iron & foil

Last edited:

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one of those features that I consider to be a gimmick. Yeah, it's not a bad feature, but all you would have to do to get the same effect without it is turn the discriminator knob. Tesoro does put a lot of thought into usability and often they have really good ideas. This is just one of those that looks a lot better on paper than in the final build. (I have ideas like that all the time.) It's an extension of the "separate knob" concept.

Note that the Compadre has only one knob: Off - All Metal - Discrimination Spectrum. The MicroMax Silver is very close to being the same machine, except that it has a sensitivity knob and they moved the All Metal setting to a toggle switch. Why have the All Metal setting on toggle, rather than a knob? So that you can hunt in All Metal, find a target, and then just flip a switch instead of fiddling with a knob. That actually is helpful and a good idea, but I think that having dual discriminator knobs on a single discriminator circuit might overstep utilitarian usefulness and enter into the realm of clutter. I'm sure there are other people who love the idea. It's just a matter of whether or not you think the extra convenience is worth the control panel real estate.

Edit: Read my next post for corrections. Some machines actually have two discrimination circuits.

Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound very much like notch...what am I missing?
You set disc *1* to say "iron" and disc 2 to like foil or pull tab

(this means that in disc 1 you have iron/nails blocked and in disc 2 you have foil or pulltabs or whatever blocked)

but

while hunting - your hunting in disc one

and so when you come across a target and get a beep - you can push the trigger forward and click into disc 2 to check the target to make sure it's something you're looking for (or see if it's something you're not looking for)

it's a pretty cool feature

disc 1 at iron and disc 2 just below nickel and you'll be able to find everything at nickel and higher by switching back and forth as you check targets

or say you're hunting for gold rings and coins

you set disc 1 at iron and disc 2 right at foil - this will allow the machine to see most gold but block everything below and when you get a beep - you check to see if it's something above foil by pushing the trigger forward into disc 2 and if it still sounds off - you know it's something higher than iron & foil

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upon further reading, I have discovered that some machines, like the Tejon, actually have two discrimination circuits built in, not just two knobs. Dual discriminators give you the ability to switch back and forth between discrimination settings by flipping a trigger switch. The Tejon is also able to run one circuit in all metal mode and the other at an user-defined discrimination setting, so you can "set the trigger" to toggle between all metal and discrimination modes. I don't think I would pay extra for that feature, but it's not a bad idea. I'm sure somebody here already loves it.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Actually if you really think about the dual discrimination hard enough it is a very useful feature.Think about this one.With the dual discrimination you can isolate the nickel.The first disc is set right were a nickel comes in,the second right were the nickel drops out.This method can identify nickel's with hardly any trash.If a target stands out along the scale by itself you can isolate this small range with dual discrimination. :-D

HALO12

Greenie
Feb 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LoneWolfe and SpiritRelic - Good explanations. I really like the dual discrimination circuits for the very facts you state. If I want to set Disc 1 - which is the base operating (full time discriminator) at "foil" and Disc 2 on, or near, the limit of its maximum discrimination (so it detects mostly silver) I have effectively set up a detection "window" with a range between foil and silver. I let Disc 1 send its signal, push the switch forward for Disc 2 and if I still get a signal I know I have a silver target (or a large overload target). If Disc 2 is silent I know my target is foil or above but below what I have shut out on Disc 2. This is a very fast way to check targets and make a decision whether to dig or not.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoneWolfe and SpiritRelic - Good explanations. I really like the dual discrimination circuits for the very facts you state. If I want to set Disc 1 - which is the base operating (full time discriminator) at "foil" and Disc 2 on, or near, the limit of its maximum discrimination (so it detects mostly silver) I have effectively set up a detection "window" with a range between foil and silver. I let Disc 1 send its signal, push the switch forward for Disc 2 and if I still get a signal I know I have a silver target (or a large overload target). If Disc 2 is silent I know my target is foil or above but below what I have shut out on Disc 2. This is a very fast way to check targets and make a decision whether to dig or not.

Exactly ;-)

The Tejon is an overlooked underestimated machine. Mainly because it doesn't have a "screen/readout" and I'll tell you another thing - the depth a Tejon gets on targets in the nickel/gold range is unmatched by ANY machine out there except maybe a PI machine in bad soil/sand (but the PI's can't pick up on the tiny gold targets like the Tejon) so there again - it's "underestimated"!

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Olfacere's point about just turning the disc knob is well taken. I do that much of the time. However, I can see that one would gain some time by knowing just from switching a trigger whether a target was in the zone you did or didn't want. Seems like a nice feature to me if one makes it work.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread