Bad Tesoro Test

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been reading some positive post on Tesoro's in general and the Compardre in particular. Thinking of picking one up as a 2nd machine to go over previously covered ground. I don't know what the uniqueness is of the Compardre with its 12k operating range, kinda in the middle rather than low for silver, high for gold. Anyway, went on Youtube an checked out some clips and there are at least 3 bad tests for this machine. Some guy uses a gold cross, a gold earring and a clad dime and the machine does not seem to see these items very well. I'm sure Tesoro users here have seen these on Youtube. What am I missing here. Is it a scam video or is the
Compadre not so hot.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Compadre is a fantastic machine. It is also an "Entry Level" machine. It is VERY sensitive to shallow (2"-6"), small gold jewelry. If your budget allows, why not get a machine with manual ground balance like a Vaquero?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, anyone can post a video showing any detector not working. Just because its on YouTube doesn't mean its true. You never really know what his motives are or his settings. Neck, he can have a large washer taped to the bottom of the coil. They could be trying to get you to buy another brand. The Compadre is a fine entry level coin grabber, an by entry level I mean lacking $$$ features and just have power.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Foiler, I have yet to read anything bad about the Compadre, and I have done tons of research on Tesoro detectors. I suppose the test you saw on the tube were done indoors. Lights, both incandescent and fluorescent emit a fair amount of EMI. Also wireless routers are good EMI noise sources. Those are just the obvious sources. Just testing it outside doesn't mean anything if they have wireless internet as you must be at least 100' to get free of interference. Also a cell phone close to the detector can cause problems. Search Compadre on forums and see what actual users have to say. I don't think you will find anyone that has something bad to say. Who else makes a detector that low priced that performs great and has a lifetime warranty? NOBODY! Sandman is right, it is an entry level detector with big performance for the dollar.

OP
OP
F

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a Youtube vid by "Treasure Barrel.com" titled "Tesoro Compadre Depth Test" There where 2 or 3 different ones. I also saw a positive one done by "Hoahnasi" titled "Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector Review".

EMF

Dec 3, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Compadre 5.75" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one I've seen was the video posted by Terry and the Compadre wouldn't pick up the gold chain at any depth on the beach. Maybe it just doesn't work well in the sand.

I wonder if it would have found it with the 8" coil?

mills27989

Apr 8, 2013
That video is prefaced by his test bed being very mineralized soil, the other machines he tested don't do well either. Even the etrac had serious depth reduction....

OP
OP
F

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detectors work well in heavily mineralized soil? I have an old coinmaster machine from the 70's I used in Nevada and Arizona. Soil there is considered heavily mineralized and that old analog machine did OK. I would think 40 years of technology would have improved modern digital machines in mineralized soil. If an E-trac doesn't do well in that test what does?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coinmaster was a much more expensive machine in it's day (considering inflation of course). For 160 bucks, you can't expect the Comp to work well in all areas. It does rock though! It will find small lead shot 2-3" deep. If it finds lead this small it should work just as well on very small gold. For general hunting in parks and schools, I used my Compadre more than My Vaquero.

OP
OP
F

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info atomicscottt, thanks And your correct about the cost of my old coinmaster. It Cost $395, call it 400 with tax. There was only one model above this at $595 that Whites made. I think its was call the goldmaster. It had a longer box, with batteries it weigh around 7 or 8 pounds. To put that money in perspective a brand new chevy or ford cost around $2800 about or about 7 times my coinmaster. Multiply a top of the line $1500 detector today by 7 and see how much of a new car you can buy. Prices of detectors have come down while the technology has gone way up.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one I've seen was the video posted by Terry and the Compadre wouldn't pick up the gold chain at any depth on the beach. Maybe it just doesn't work well in the sand.

I wonder if it would have found it with the 8" coil?

There are very VERY few machines that can actually pick up a small gold chain -

test it for yourself

stick a small gold chain on your detectors coil - - chances are you won't even get a peep even though it's sitting directly ON the coil!

Even a small thin cross or the like - most machines won't hit them (try that test too)!

There are a couple that will but I'm not telling!

EMF

Dec 3, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Compadre 5.75" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are very VERY few machines that can actually pick up a small gold chain -

test it for yourself

stick a small gold chain on your detectors coil - - chances are you won't even get a peep even though it's sitting directly ON the coil!

Even a small thin cross or the like - most machines won't hit them (try that test too)!

There are a couple that will but I'm not telling!

If my machine is a Deeptech Vista Gold or a Tesoro Vaquero it will pick up that Gold chain no problem at all. I think the video proved that pretty well already.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only been here a few months, but I'm already starting to feel like I've seen this problem 100 times. In those videos that showed the Compadre "failing," did they all involve a freshly dug test bed? The video that was posted to this thread doesn't make a good example unless the goal is to build a near impossible test for regular VLF machines. They dug a hole in highly-mineralised, moist soil and just covered it back over with no other preparations. This very thing has been known to make targets "disappear."

As rain water drains through the soil, the dipolar nature of the water molecule (positive charge on one side, negative charge on the other), combined with the temporary liquifaction effect of heavy drainage, causes the minerals in the soil to all line up with each other. Natural ground will give you results that are similar to an air test. When you dig a hole and backfill it, you scramble the orderliness of the minerals, so, while natural ground acts like a conductor for the detector's EM field, freshly dug (scrambled) ground disrupts the field and prevents penetration. So, you should expect to lose several inches of potential detection depth in disturbed ground and this applies to all detectors.

Small, gold chains are notoriously hard to hit in the first place. If you bury such a difficult target even two inches into scrambled earth, you might lose it entirely. This isn't a weakness in the detector, but in the detectorist. Bury that chain at two inches, come back a couple of days after a good rain (or just water-in your test bed and wait 24 hours), and the chain will magically reappear.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the compadre is a great gold hitter, but as any ground preset machine, it falls on highly mineralized soils

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread