Tejon set up/air test?

Houston1852

Greenie
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just bought a Tejon because I wanted something to go a little deeper. I just started setting it up and tried the air test. I was using a dime. I started by waving it about a foot or so out and gradually got closer. I didn't get a signal on it until I was about 5 or 6 inches out. I set the dime on the ground and moved the coil back and forth above it and again, no signal until I was about 6 inches above it. Is there an issue I'm missing here? I thought if I waved the dime about a foot away it would have given me a signal. I had it in the disc mode on all metal, with the sensitivity set to about 7 or 8. I'd appreciate any help on this.
Thank you
Ryan

OP
OP
H

Houston1852

Greenie
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this is where I'm at now. I read up a little more on ground balancing (because I've never had to do it manually). So, I think I got it set. Here's my test, in All Metal Disc mode, sensitivity at 9 or 10, I waved a musket ball in front of it starting at 20". I got a faint signal at 8 or 9" but didnt really get a decent strong signal until 6". I did the same with a coin with same results. I tried my cell phone in front of it and got a signal at 20". I don't expect the musket ball and coin to give that strong of a signal at 20", but shouldn't I be getting a signal further away than 6"??

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests are for nothing more than seeing if the detector responds. Its in the ground where it counts. If you bought it used, try a different frequency and clean out the coil cover of any dirt. Make sure the coil bolt is not brass and should be nylon or fiberglass.

OP
OP
H

Houston1852

Greenie
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought it new a few weeks ago but the ground is just starting to thaw. So, if I place a coin on the ground and only get a signal 6" up from it, that doesn't necessarily mean its only gonna detect the coin if its buried no more than 6"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread