Frustrated with my new Tejon

Houston1852

Greenie
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I think I have it ground balanced, but I really don't know for sure if I did it right. I keep it raised a few inches off the ground and raise/lower it an inch or 2 and I have a steady hum that way. If I go any higher while raising it, the humming stops completely.

So, I took it out to a field today. I'd get a decent signal and start digging. This is what's frustrating, with my cibola I'd dig a pile of dirt and set it aside. I'd check that dirt and if no signal I'd dig deeper until my signal is in my dirt pile or I find the relic in the hole. Tonight with the Tejon I'd get a signal, dig a hole and get chatter on my pile of dirt and still a signal in the hole. So, I'd dig more and spread the dirt out, still chatter on the dirt I dug out and a signal in the hole. I left the field with about six 2 foot wide holes and no dug items. Why do I get so much chatter. I had sensitivity at 7-9, discrimination set to foil. It didn't seem to make much difference what my discrimination was at. I guess I'm just used to the cibola either signaling in the hole or in the pile of dirt. I'm very frustrated because I spent alot on this thing and I really want to like it. This should be fun! What am I doing wrong?!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch This. The Tejon ground balances in the same exact way!

OP
OP
H

Houston1852

Greenie
Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry, I worked with the ground balance a little more before watching this video tonight. I think I have it set a little better, but I'm still having issues. With my Cibola the detector would be quiet until it gets a signal, then it beeps at the signal. I didn't know if I'd like it humming steady. Does it make a difference either way? Also, I'm still concerned with how it was behaving tonight. I'd dig a hole then spread my shovelful out on the ground. It would beep over the hole AND pretty much everywhere over the dirt I spread out. The beep over the hole was usually a little more solid, but still not really easy to distinguish between the beeps it was giving me over the hole and the spread out dirt. Is this still a ground balance issue?

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Any chance your dealing with hot rocks in and out of the hole? I don't have a tejon so I don't know if they get ignored or not. Cibola hits em for sure

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry, I worked with the ground balance a little more before watching this video tonight. I think I have it set a little better, but I'm still having issues. With my Cibola the detector would be quiet until it gets a signal, then it beeps at the signal. I didn't know if I'd like it humming steady. Does it make a difference either way? Also, I'm still concerned with how it was behaving tonight. I'd dig a hole then spread my shovelful out on the ground. It would beep over the hole AND pretty much everywhere over the dirt I spread out. The beep over the hole was usually a little more solid, but still not really easy to distinguish between the beeps it was giving me over the hole and the spread out dirt. Is this still a ground balance issue?

Call Rusty Henry at Tesoro 928-771-2646 and explain the problems you are having. He'll get you on the right track, or know if there is a problem. Let us know how it works out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread