5 1/2 inch widescan coil

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Cal G., I have been using the 5 3/4" concentric and to get good coverage with depth, you have to take baby steps so you get good swing overlap at depth. Tennis ball to golf ball target area at a depth of 8"-12" resp.. slow hunting.

For that reason I'm getting the 5 3/4" wide scan (DD)- I have seen on other posts that it has good depth and because of the coils design it looks at more of a 'slice' rather than a point. I have a "V" also and have not found any gold yet but I did bury a 14K nugget ring at 10" and couldn't find it-thank god I marked it. I did find it the next time I buried it but was only 4" deep this time.

Hopes this helps- HH yelnif

Last edited:

loneranger23

May 25, 2013
To be honest in my years of detecting never stray to far away from the original coil the machine was shipped with because alot of coils take the delecacy of a machine away

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I leaning toward the 5 3/4 wide scan myself. I really like the 8x9 for open areas and for quick hunting, but I would like a smaller coil to get around in areas with structure such as bushes, between rocks ect; Is the 5 3/4 a true size or is it closer to 6 inches? Thanks for your help! HH

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
Ranger I know what you mean. Sometimes changing equipment is expensive and worthless.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leaning toward the 5 3/4 wide scan myself. I really like the 8x9 for open areas and for quick hunting, but I would like a smaller coil to get around in areas with structure such as bushes, between rocks ect; Is the 5 3/4 a true size or is it closer to 6 inches? Thanks for your help! HH

Cal G., The 5 3/4" concentric actually measures 6" across without the scuff cover- with scuff cover, 6 3/16" dia. Wonder where they came up with 5 3/4"/ advert.
HH yelnif

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I'm glad you brought that up,yelnif. I was curious about the actual size. The 8x9 is a 8.5 in x 9.75 or close to that. I am guessing the 5 3/4 widescan is probably the same size as the concentric. Thanks of the Information. HH Cal

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest in my years of detecting never stray to far away from the original coil the machine was shipped with because alot of coils take the delecacy of a machine away
Delicacy? I have had many detectors, and none of them tasted good to me at all! Lol. Oh BTW, a different coil can sometimes turn it into a whole new machine! Once I put the 5.75 DD on my Vaq, I liked it so much better I never took it off.

loneranger23

May 25, 2013
Some coils do great things to machines not denying that but alot of them ruin the stability and sensitivity of a machine after 20 years detecting and and 15 machines under my belt most of which I still have coils are a topic of love/hate

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
If you plan to do any gold hunting at all the 5.75 DD is the way to go for sure.It would also be a get coil for trashed out areas.In any bad ground one should choose the smallest DD possible.

OP
OP
C

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
SpiritRelic, thanks for the advise. How do you think it would do in tot lots and gridding in trashy areas for gold jewelry? My nugget hunting would be limited to a occassional vacation in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions