Tesoro for Field hunting

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I want to buy a Tesoro for Field hunting rather than lugging my Excalibur around. Its great at the beach but seems to get heavy fast when I'm starting out on a large field.

So, I want something Light while searching for Coins/Jewelry/Relics.

I don't really care for lots of settings, except to be able to discriminate Iron when needed, but I do care about depth.

For "simple to operate" I like the Compadre but for "depth" it looks like the Tejon is the one to get. Are one of the in-between models more in line with what I want to do?

I also see some posts about something new from Tesoro in a couple months. Any hints about what that might be?

Your comments are welcome to help me figure out what to do.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just curious,have u considered the Atpro at all I was just wondering I read ur post & u said u wanted to do feild hunting & wanted something light ,& good on iron all great capabilities of the pro.thats also my opinion, u may only like the tesoro line which is just y im askin curious

OP
OP
O

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be wrong since I've never even seen a Tesoro but something about what I read makes me want one. Im just not sure which one.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where ur coming from I havent used one but things I here about them i do wish to at least try one out

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want simplicity you might want to reconsider the Tejon...it's an awesome machine but has a bit of a learning curve to it. From what you describe I can almost bet you would like the Vaquero. It has everything you need without to many controls. If you dont even want ground balance then you might look into the Cibola. Both have good depth. I have used all three listed above. I currently own and use the Sidewinder, Outlaw and Troy's Shadow X2, which is a Tesoro built machine.
The thing I like most about Tesoros is the recovery speed. These machines can pick through the trash like a champ!

You would probably like the Outlaw too. Its not any better than the other Tesoros but its a good deal since it comes with 3 coils. I bought mine when I found a good buy on a used one....but since you mentioned depth you may want to take a closer look at the Cibola or Vaquero...or if your not in a hurry, shop for a used Shadow X2 which also has good depth.

Thats my take on Tesoros...hope it helps

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im not sure if u r refering to me if u r I think.If I can handle the v3i with all its settings id have no issues with the tesoro line

OP
OP
O

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want simplicity you might want to reconsider the Tejon...it's an awesome machine but has a bit of a learning curve to it. From what you describe I can almost bet you would like the Vaquero. It has everything you need without to many controls. If you dont even want ground balance then you might look into the Cibola. Both have good depth. I have used all three listed above. I currently own and use the Sidewinder, Outlaw and Troy's Shadow X2, which is a Tesoro built machine.
The thing I like most about Tesoros is the recovery speed. These machines can pick through the trash like a champ!

You would probably like the Outlaw too. Its not any better than the other Tesoros but its a good deal since it comes with 3 coils. I bought mine when I found a good buy on a used one....but since you mentioned depth you may want to take a closer look at the Cibola or Vaquero...or if your not in a hurry, shop for a used Shadow X2 which also has good depth.

Thats my take on Tesoros...hope it helps

Thanks. How much different is the expected depth between the Vaquero and the Tejon? How would an older unit like Eldorado compare?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some great deals on the tesoro line threw eBay do u have any time with the cortés or the deleon they look pretty good

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Tejon borrowed from a friend. I took it on a 3 day hunt to see if I liked it. It seems on par with the depth of the Vaquero. My friend didn't like it for hunting average sites with moderate to heavy trash. It worked great on relic hunts in Virginia and it worked great for me because I took it to an area that was relatively clean. Its geared to be a relic machine. Incidentally the same friend had owned an Eldorado and wished he still had it. I've never used one but I can imagine it has the depth of the other 5 pin umax detectors like my Sidewinder and the Outlaw. I think the 4 pin Tesoros like the Vaquero, Cibola or Tejon with the H.O.T. circuits go a little deeper.

Im not the best person to give results on depth. My main concern is recovery speed because I usually find myself in super trashy sites. Thats when I use the Sidewinder with 4" coil. When I want depth I reach for the Shadow. I've contemplated hunting down a used Cibola or Vaquero to add to my collection. :)

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some great deals on the tesoro line threw eBay do u have any time with the cortés or the deleon they look pretty good

I haven't used either of those. But I know a fellow treasure hunter who claims his Cortes was exceptionally deep....like Vaquero deep.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for ur reply it may just b my next to ad to the arsenal lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I want to buy a Tesoro for Field hunting rather than lugging my Excalibur around. Its great at the beach but seems to get heavy fast when I'm starting out on a large field.

So, I want something Light while searching for Coins/Jewelry/Relics.

I don't really care for lots of settings, except to be able to discriminate Iron when needed, but I do care about depth.

For "simple to operate" I like the Compadre but for "depth" it looks like the Tejon is the one to get. Are one of the in-between models more in line with what I want to do?

I also see some posts about something new from Tesoro in a couple months. Any hints about what that might be?

Your comments are welcome to help me figure out what to do.

Love my Vaquero! Super light and great depth! Very smooth running with great audio through headphones!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Vaquero or Tejon (I prefer the Tejon) would be perfect. I own and use both, but since I got the Tejon, I don't use the Vaquero as much. There is NO "learning curve" on either machine - none. You ground balance them, set your discrimination and go. The Tejon is a couple of inches deeper than the Vaquero. PM me if you want more info on either machine

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I got a Vaquero because it was so much lighter(2.2lbs) than and very easy to use. It has very good depth, good discrimination, and like most Tesoro's hot on jewelry. These machines are addicting and are a pleasure to use. Life time warranty what a deal! HH

OP
OP
O

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts. Its between the Tejon and the Vaquero and I would probably buy the Tejon except for the rumors of something new from Tesoro in a couple months. Any hints about what that might be? I could stand to wait a couple months if I had to.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't believe everything you hear! :occasion14:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way ur gonna learn is to just do it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions