Cibola head phones

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Widow headphones.jpg The Detector Pro Black Widow headphones are excellent for hearing those deep whispers and block outside noise. Other good ones are Grey Ghost, Killr Bee's.

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola / Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After looking at both brands mentioned in this thread, thanks for the info guys.... I dont have a budget for black widow headphones and I would like to know if the Calrad headphones will help me pick up those low tones on deep targets? I dont hunt noisy places so noise cancelling isnt a need I dont think... What would you do?

«JDS»

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calrads will work for you just fine. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola / Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks alot I was hoping so, they are more in my budget range

«JDS»

x#1

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
cherokee county,al.
Detector(s) used
jetco huntmaster gtx ,garrett treasure ace 100, and a tesoro cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy H81. I just bought,about month or so ago,a cibola new never used in the box from a lady.the package had a pair,also brand new,of Calrad 15-135B headphones.These headphones have stereo/mono switch and adjustable volume on each ear.I researched them and they sell for just under $20 to $34.99. Thus far they seem quite capable and well made and the 10.5 cord certainly seems heavy duty and is not even stretched as of yet.

I would give maybe $25 for them if i were to have to buy a set and i am on a budget-

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can spend $80+/- I recommend the Jolly Rogers by DetectorPro. I love mine and I hunt with a Tesoro Vaquero. Check 'em out!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are gonna spend $80 plus, skip the Jolly Rodgers because the speaker impedance is to low. If you want to get the whispers you will need higher speaker impedance, something higher than 75 ohms. For a few bucks more you can get 150 ohm impedance from any of the major manufacturers of detector headphones. Not knocking the Jolly Rodgers, I am sure the sound great, but in my opinion the impedance is too low for that kind of money.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not familiar with the Cibola but I recently purchased the Garrett 1612500 Treasure Sound Headphone for use with the Golden, which work well for me. But when I tried them with the Lobo they are unusable, blow your eardrums out loud. I would recommend a set with volume control.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of Jolly Roger and Killer B's. I have used both on Cibola, Vaquero, Tejon, Sov GT and Etrac. The Jollys sound much better to me and pick up faint threshold breaks just as well in tests I've conducted. The JR's are more comfortable also (for me). Anyone want to trade for my Killer B's I would be interested. Like new condition. (Yes I'm a charter member)

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay Fletch, I stand corrected. If you have used them and compared them on several machines, it is hard to argue the impedance issue. I have never tried them so I based my opinion of what I have read and the speaker impedance specs.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any reasonably decent headphone is a great improvement over no headphones IMHO.
luvsdux

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I've used $25 & $220 headphones, personally for metal detecting I find you don't need high end.
Home stereo, now that's a different story.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have tried different brands but always come back to Killer Bee's. They have worked great on all my detectors and they work just fine on Tesoro detectors. I just like the volume controls better on the Killer Bee's than Detector Pro brand headphones, Jolly Rogers, Grey Ghost & so on ( Don't get me wrong Detector Pro phones are top quality like the Killer Bee's) both detector pro and Killer Bee use the same style headphone but put in there own electronics. The Killer bee's have padded leather ear muffs and the Detector Pro's are a padded plastic or vinyl material ( I personally like the leather ear muffs better) The key thing for me is the Killer Bee's just have a more finite 42/46 segment volume control and the same lifetime guarantee as the Jolly Rogers and others mentioned. I prefer the single volume units over the duel volume units myself but again this is a personal choice for each person to make on there own depending on there likes and needs.

At the end of the day any good decent headphone that has volume control that is comfy to wear will be fine and do you a good job.
Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread