Compadre or silver umax and why?

drewpeacock44

Greenie
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been sold on the Tesoro compadre for a while now but whenever I tell someone that they always recommend I get the silver umax instead. Other than having a sensitivity know and interchangeabe coils what is better about the silver umax? Keep in mind that iI would be getting the 8" coil model of the compadre. The compadre operates at a higher frequency so wouldn't the compadre be able to find smaller targets at a deeper depth? I could really use some expert opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance :-)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More options

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cibola or Vaquero. Great detectors!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't say AT Pro. They've become a cliche' in my opinion. This is a Tesoro forum!

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha true very true i myself went for something different deus xp crazy detector

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big jump up the ladder!

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre or Silver uMax...Silver uMax for one simple reason. Sensitivity adjustment!

A couple of places I've been the Compadre won't work properly because the EMI is too strong. With the Silver you can adjust for it.

OP
OP
D

drewpeacock44

Greenie
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you guys think of the Tejon? i found one at a local shop for a good price. i saw on tesoro's website that its more suited for relic hunting which im not really going to be doing alot of. im pretty much going to be coin shooting...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you guys think of the Tejon? i found one at a local shop for a good price. i saw on tesoro's website that its more suited for relic hunting which im not really going to be doing alot of. im pretty much going to be coin shooting...

It's a coin killer. I love the coin check toggle switch. It's deep too! Read Tesoro's website again. It says designed for the relic hunter /coinshooter. I've only had it for 3 weeks now and haven't used Vaquero since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drewpeacock44

Greenie
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uuuggghhh i just cant bring myself to spend that much on a detector yet. i wanna be hooked on the hobby but i dont think im there quite yet. i havent found anything good yet. just some copper penies and no wheats....... i think im gonna go with the silver umax. i hope letting that tejon go wont bite me in the butt. theyre selling if for $400. but im really wanting to get a deal with silver umax and a garrett propointer but kellyco wouldnt budge on the pricing and i tried calling millermdz but no one answered. ill try big boy hobbies but i didnt see any tesoro's on their site....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco has somesort of deal goin in if u buy a certain detector u get a minelab pro find pin oointer free

OP
OP
D

drewpeacock44

Greenie
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i checked all of the ones in my price range and it was with any of those. whats wrong with the AT pro? seems like a real solid contender...

OP
OP
D

drewpeacock44

Greenie
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH and i did just purchase the silver umax from miller mdz!!! I CANT WAIT!!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Good luck hunting!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did good getting the Silver uMax. I have one and swear by it. Tom at Miller MDZ is a great person to deal with. He uses most of the detectors he sells and is very knowledgeable.

My opinion- Start hunting with disc. setting just short of penny. This knocks out pulltabs, most bottle caps, nickels, and of course rings. BUT it will be easier to learn because you will be cherry picking coins. This is good because you will experience success right away. Also you will know beyond the shadow of a doubt what a good target sounds like. Good target= nice clean short tone on both edges of the coin when you pass over it. Turn 90 degrees, get the same thing, dig, it's a coin. If you get double blips or crackling on one edge it is most likely a bottle cap or trash. Crushed bottle caps can fool ya. X over the spot and note the tone. A coin is relatively small and should give a short tone. If you move the detector coil 2-3" and get a tone it is a bigger target like large iron or aluminum can. Pinpointing is easy. Check from both directions with short sweeps and when silent the target is right in the middle of the coil. Practice this with your eyes closed and a penny on the ground. When detecting with disc set as I stated you will get pops, clicks, clipped signals. This is good as you are in a trashy area picking up short hits on items that are partially discriminated out. Slow the swing speed down at this point and sweep this area real good and slow. If you do this when you pass over a coin you will get a nice clean target sound. The Silver uMax is an expert at picking coins out of trash as it has great target separation and fast recovery speed. Place a penny on the ground and pull tab 1" to one side a nail 1" to the other side. The Silver will find the coin no problem with a slow swing speed. Take it a step further and litter a small area with trash and few coins to practice. I find my best finds in trashy areas. I think others just miss the coins in the trash. This is where the silver coins are in my opinion provided the age of the hunted area is older.

As you get confident on the use of your detector with the cherry picking high disc setting you can lower the disc. and dig more. I hunt silver and trashy areas so my disc setting is usually higher.

MOST IMPORTANT. When you are in a public area like a park or playground dig smartly. Cut a small U shaped plug flip the sod back, and most important, place any removed soil on a drop cloth. Once your target is retrieved lift the drop cloth and dump the soil back in, push the plug in and stamp down firmly. When you are done there will be no sign of your presence. I recommend the drop cloth because all the dirt gets back into the hole and leaves no evidence of your excavation. Park employees that have seen me do this are most impressed and I sure that is why the never bother me except to shoot the breeze once in a while. Get a Garrett Pro Pointer AS SOON AS YOU CAN AFFORD IT. This will keep your digging to a minimum and keep your holes neat and clean. With a pinpointer before digging check the surface for the coin. If the pinpointer hits on it you can just make a small slice or shallow 2" plug, pop the coin, push the cut closed or the shallow plug back down and keep going. If you don't get a surface hit with the pinpointer cut a normal sized 4-5" plug flip the plug back, check the plug, if nothing check the hole. If nothing in the hole take some dirt out and check until you find it. Your pinpointer will also allow you to size a target in the hole up to determine it is a coin or larger piece of trash such as aluminum can.

Good luck and if you have questions please ask!

OP
OP
D

drewpeacock44

Greenie
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks to everyone for all of the advice and tips. I will be buying a Garrett pro pointer in a few weeks from miller mdz as soon as he gets his shipment in. I have a pin pointer no but it's just the cheapo one from harbor freight but it will do for now. Next purchase will be a Sampson t handle shovel and a good tool / finds pouch. I'm looking for something to put my digging tool in, my finds, my trash, and possibly my pin pointer. Any suggestions on one? I've seen some in you tube videos that I like but the ones that I like are one of a kind things. I haven't really found one I like that I can just order. Thanks in advance :-)

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not EVER recommend carrying a shovel with you while metal detecting on any public land- PERIOD! If a park employee or school principal saw you with a metal detector and a shovel you would be asked to leave. That may just put that hunting spot of limits for good for everyone! THERE IS NO NEED WHATSOEVER for a shovel when a digging trowel, Lesche or whatever will do fine and not draw attention to yourself. Practice pinpointing and you do not need to cut a very big plug. Most my plugs are u-shape and 3-5 inches across. Remember you are cutting a small u-shaped plug and flipping the sod back, not cutting and removing a plug. I am not trying to scold you, but if I saw you at one of my favorite hunting spots with a shovel you get an ear full from me, because your indiscretion would ruin it for me.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks to everyone for all of the advice and tips. I will be buying a Garrett pro pointer in a few weeks from miller mdz as soon as he gets his shipment in. I have a pin pointer no but it's just the cheapo one from harbor freight but it will do for now. Next purchase will be a Sampson t handle shovel and a good tool / finds pouch. I'm looking for something to put my digging tool in, my finds, my trash, and possibly my pin pointer. Any suggestions on one? I've seen some in you tube videos that I like but the ones that I like are one of a kind things. I haven't really found one I like that I can just order. Thanks in advance :-)

Ya bomb sheaths I got 2 made from buzz awesome peices

ForumRunner_20130705_063321.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130705_063344.png
    ForumRunner_20130705_063344.png
    206.3 KB · Views: 96

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been sold on the Tesoro compadre for a while now but whenever I tell someone that they always recommend I get the silver umax instead. Other than having a sensitivity know and interchangeabe coils what is better about the silver umax? Keep in mind that iI would be getting the 8" coil model of the compadre. The compadre operates at a higher frequency so wouldn't the compadre be able to find smaller targets at a deeper depth? I could really use some expert opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance :-)
I don't know about the silver umax, but I really liked the Compadre. I don't think there is a better option for the price. Very fast, very sensitive, great disc, very good separation, & light as a feather. I actually liked using it more than my Vaquero! Good luck! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread