Which coil should I get?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought the 12x10" Widescan (includes scuff). The 5.75" on the Tejon (in my opinion) isn't going to be that much more effective at trash elimination than the standard 9" x 8". Might as well go for more depth.

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got ya. i'll cross that one out. will be aiming for the widescan, whats the say on the elliptical coil?

thanks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the 12x10" Widescan (includes scuff). The 5.75" on the Tejon (in my opinion) isn't going to be that much more effective at trash elimination than the standard 9" x 8". Might as well go for more depth.

Hey Terry, I've just bought a 5.75 widescan a couple weeks ago. Only been able to run in my yard in a real trashy area and have picked several pieces of clad. I'm really liking it so far. I had hit area with my Vaq and Tejon with stock coil. Maybe I was just hunting slower! I've also bought 12 x 10 widescan but don't see much difference in depth and don't like the balance of either machine with larger coil.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
The elliptical on the Tejon is awesome.My stock concentric got stolen so i just use the 10x5elliptical or 12x10 DD and these two coils do everything for me anyway.Get the elliptical! Trust me.

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the advice fellas. great to hear some good reviews about them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should look into reading test reports on the 3"X18" Clean Sweep Coil. It covers lots of ground and pinpoints off the tip or heel very quickly even without using the pinpoint mode. Comes with 3 ft. or 8 Ft. cable.

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice, i didn't know about that one. looks like its up to the task for trashy areas, I'm going to put that one on the back burner for now

thanks

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just bought the 5.75 widescan with coil cover, this should be good for some trashy areas i know of and that are full of old nails. i know there are buttons there too!

Thank you for the advice. I will probably purchase the others in the future

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you like the Tejon for relic hunting? I'm really considering buying one but haven't made up my mind yet.

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think you can go wrong with it. I would highly recommend its durability and performance. its a great machine i love mine.

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Tejon. It looks like a great machine.

I don't think you can go wrong with it. I would highly recommend its durability and performance. its a great machine i love mine.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000

I'm getting one over the winter as well as a Tiger shark. Tesoro's are just awesome.

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You wont be disappointed and the warranty covers everything just about. Funny thing, i got lost detecting a few days ago and either the ghost took my two battery packs or i leaned it on a tree to take a breath and they popped out, i plan on fixing that problem by sticky stretch wrap around the compartment so they have less chance of doing so. I would go with the Tejon its a great relic detector. and SUPER light. Remember one of these days -- and im thinking about probably the fall we should meet up and do some hunting together with me and my dad. I usually just like spending the time with him while hes around. Hope you go with the a Tesoro, you really cannot go wrong!

(planning a trip to maine to find some colonial stuff this coming month after labor day!)

Last edited:

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd definitely like to meet up and do some relic hunting. Maybe I'll have my Tejon by then! The Maine trip sounds awesome. Hope you find some good stuff.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont be disappointed and the warranty covers everything just about. Funny thing, i got lost detecting a few days ago and either the ghost took my two battery packs or i leaned it on a tree to take a breath and they popped out, i plan on fixing that problem by sticky stretch wrap around the compartment so they have less chance of doing so. I would go with the Tejon its a great relic detector. and SUPER light. Remember one of these days -- and im thinking about probably the fall we should meet up and do some hunting together with me and my dad. I usually just like spending the time with him while hes around. Hope you go with the a Tesoro, you really cannot go wrong!

(planning a trip to maine to find some colonial stuff this coming month after labor day!)

What part of maine will you be in?

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What part of maine will you be in?

Southern Maine, around Berwick and Lebanon. where are you located i would love to meet someone to show me the ropes around there for detecting.

Last edited:

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This person seems to really know his Tejon, I enjoy watching his video's, and he seems to do very well with the 5.75 widescan.

Digger Gear - YouTube

OP
OP
goldnrelics

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! Thanks! I've been loving my widescan, going to probably get the elliptical next month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread