Does it matter that Tesoro detectors dont have a screen?

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does it matter that Tesoro detectors don't have a screen?

Hey guys!
Right now, I own the Fisher F2 metal detector. Don't get me wrong, I love it dearly, but I have begun to realize its capabilities and I have started to look for an upgrade to it. As of now, the Tesoro vaquero is leading the pack, and I was just wondering: Does it really matter that it doesn't have a display? I mean, I dig just about every target that's above the foil mark, so I don't think it would make a huge difference. Also, if you think there is a detector that's superior to the vaquero (and less than $750) feel free to recommend it, because I'm open to suggestions. Thank in advance!
crazy4coins

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter about if a MD has a screen or not. It is nice if you only want to dig quarters for instance and you have a choice in kneeling down for another pull tab which can also be a wedding ring. The Vaquero is a fine up grade from the AT Pro which only pro is it can be dunked in the water. The down side is the screen lies to you if you believe what it is telling you and it has trouble with false signals and being unstable for users that try to run it with more than 3 bars sens in most locations. Add to this that the Tesoro has a lifetime warranty and you can't go wrong.:icon_thumleft: NRA3.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to me..

Attachments

• silver 004.jpg
    silver 004.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 91
  • coins 014.jpg
    coins 014.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 88
  • coins 009.jpg
    coins 009.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 96
  • hawthorn 016.jpg
    hawthorn 016.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 94
  • tchest.jpg
    tchest.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 101
  • G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 81
  • SixRings.jpg
    SixRings.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 93
  • summer2011.jpg
    summer2011.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 100
  • R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 90

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!!! Better get a screen Terry, looks like you've had a hard time digging treasure!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need for a screen. You can see what it is after you dig it. If you don't dig it, you just left a diamond ring in the ground or a pop top. Why take a chance. LIFETIME WARRANTY !!!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats your budget, look at the T2, it just kills the Jewlrey and relics. Friend of mine hunts with it, and it is a great machine. The Vaquero is also on my radar, I dont like leaving my detecting up to a program. Even with my screen on the F75, I always go by sound anyway. You have to have ideal conditions for a screen to help. Dig all good signals. I try to spend a hour a day or more detecting. I dont hunt with the screen, not sure why anyone would? I do use the screen to confirm a good target. But some targets, you just dig and take a chance. The F75 is fast, and will read several targets and the display the best signal. But the sound does not lie, I know when I have something in pull tab range. The opposite is true with the screen, if it says dime or quarter range, or iron, it is 99% correct. I would love to try the Vaquero in some of the more challenging places I detect.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging from sound is the most important part of detecting.
I find most screens to jumpy anyways and if you trust the screen probably will miss most deep good targets.
Learn the tones and use Sizing when pin pointing and you will be a better Metal Detector than most using them.
Most of my best finds where from a Golden Saber (no Screen) I could tell every time I hit silver and my wife would laugh like it was a magic trick.
But best bang for the buck with a screen right now I think is the garret AT PRO. If I was on a budget and wanted in on the Hobby that is what I would be buying that or the AT Gold.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As of now, the Tesoro vaquero is leading the pack, and I was just wondering: Does it really matter that it doesn't have a display?
Nope doesn't matter at all. You can either listen to multi tones & glance down at a number on a screen or you can stand over a hole turning your knob listening to one tone.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had numerous machines with meters hardly looked at them. Still use a sovereign that has only had the meter on it twice since I bought it. Even with programs etc etc tones will tell you enough after you've learned what your machine is telling you. I pretty much dig everything because I hate wondering if the last one was a ring or a tab about half way to the car. Your brain & ears are your best tools!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totaly agree screens r nice but learn ur tones. Tones will give alot of info as of screens, my whites v3i has many screens & I find them to b wonders in knowing for sure whats down there theres stuff that can trick u but a little from ur machine in anylize mode gives u a leg up, I also been using the deus xp not as many tones as the v3i a hole different set up really on that i like just poping off the power pad putting in my pocket & just listening to the tones these on this machine r perfect & if ur wondering on a tone that mayb a little scratchy take a look it also has soñé great anylizing info to help

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woops sorry hit wrong button anyways back to the tesoro these machines r bulit well enough that the tones r basically a screen great machines dead on performance

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't matter about if a MD has a screen or not. It is nice if you only want to dig quarters for instance and you have a choice in kneeling down for another pull tab which can also be a wedding ring.
Sooooo you can't do the same with say a Vaquero? Interesting!

The down side is the screen lies to you if you believe what it is telling you
Ahh yes, enter the magic Tesoro discrimination knob. If it's turned to say a nickel it has to be a nickel? Or if to tab it must be a tab! Because the conductivity of the target has nothing to do with anything.

and it has trouble with false signals and being unstable for users that try to run it with more than 3 bars sens in most locations.
Really? At most locations? Or at most locations you hunt at? Most...lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sooooo you can't do the same with say a Vaquero? Interesting!

Ahh yes, enter the magic Tesoro discrimination knob. If it's turned to say a nickel it has to be a nickel? Or if to tab it must be a tab! Because the conductivity of the target has nothing to do with anything.

Really? At most locations? Or at most locations you hunt at? Most...lol

The discrimination on the Vaquero is dead on. If you set it at Nickel you'll find nickels, pulltabs and gold. If you set it just over Pulltab, you'll only find silver, clad and the occassional aluminum Screw top.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you set it just over Pulltab, you'll only find silver, clad and the occassional aluminum Screw top.

Fascinating. The Vaq can knock out ALL the other stuff that falls into same conductivity range. Magic even!

Poof!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A screen is a personal preference. 10 years ago I had one, now I don't. Personally with a Tesoro I don't need one. Soloman is right the disc. is accurate but can be fooled by the right target. I set disc. past pulltab and just short of zinc and never dig pulltabs. I am looking for silver and don't care about nickels or digging hundreds of pulltabs to get one ring. I will leave the rings and take the silver and the clad that comes with it. I am very seldom fooled on coins, but once in a while a twist off bottle cap that is bent just right can mimic a coin.

My opinion - In the long run you will become better at detecting without one, but to each his own.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A screen is a personal preference. 10 years ago I had one, now I don't. Personally with a Tesoro I don't need one. Soloman is right the disc. is accurate but can be fooled by the right target. I set disc. past pulltab and just short of zinc and never dig pulltabs. I am looking for silver and don't care about nickels or digging hundreds of pulltabs to get one ring. I will leave the rings and take the silver and the clad that comes with it. I am very seldom fooled on coins, but once in a while a twist off bottle cap that is bent just right can mimic a coin.

My opinion - In the long run you will become better at detecting without one, but to each his own.

If u rely on it ya

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would look at the Minelab Xterra 705. As far as a screen goes it is important to me mainly because I just love gadgets! I don't trust any numbers any machine gives me 100% I tend to dig everything unless I am on a nice lawn. The Tesoro machines look dated to me but the lifetime warranty is really appealing!! I am going to buy a water machine soon and the Tesoro Sandshark is very high on the list of candidates!!! Again Warranty!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I dont get about those tesoros yes they r known to b a power house. But lifetime warrenty really who is gonna keep a machine a lifetime. Second is tesoro still goin to be able to get parts for it 15 years after they stop making that model ? From machines Ive seen when the company discontinues a detector a year or to ur on ur own no parta available seen it from minelabe,whites,even garret. Third ok u sell the machine 10 years from when u get it & they stopped makin it someone else buys it has to be fixed first where they gonna get parts from? Im not bashin or talking it down its just something thing I think about when I here lifetime warrenty, there are a couple tesoros id like to own & ad to my arsenal so dont think I dont like them I do, matter of fact I like just about every single detector out there

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats what I dont get about those tesoros yes they r known to b a power house. But lifetime warrenty really who is gonna keep a machine a lifetime. Second is tesoro still goin to be able to get parts for it 15 years after they stop making that model ? From machines Ive seen when the company discontinues a detector a year or to ur on ur own no parta available seen it from minelabe,whites,even garret. Third ok u sell the machine 10 years from when u get it & they stopped makin it someone else buys it has to be fixed first where they gonna get parts from? Im not bashin or talking it down its just something thing I think about when I here lifetime warrenty, there are a couple tesoros id like to own & ad to my arsenal so dont think I dont like them I do, matter of fact I like just about every single detector out there

I would probably be one to keep it a lifetime, heck I still have some tshirts from high school and that was quite a few years ago! But that's just me as I tend to keep things for very long periods of time. My old 1994 Dodge diesel has over 403,000 miles for example...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions