A Newbie and his Vaquero

RichK

May 22, 2013
Mercerville , NJ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my first metal detector the Tesoro Vaquero and am having a blast !
I'm slowly learning the language of my Vaquero and wanted to share my finds. After 6 weeks a little over $60.00 in clad and a bunch of other stuff. My favorite is what I think is a musketball.
Here are some pictures. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Wow...a Tesoro Vaquero as your first machine? Nice!!!! I mostly use my VAC at old homes, farms, ranches, or anyplace I'm going deep. And I usually use it with NO discrimination and supertuned or powerbalanced. It's a depth monster! Other times when my wife is using my ACE 250, I set the VAC for "cherry picking"...mostly silver by adjusting it as normal and then turning the "disc" knob ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT. You're going to learn to love that machine. Almost everyone I've read about who had one always regrets that they sold it!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite a collection of finds there, bet it took a while to setup for the photo shoot! Congrats!

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello RichK, nice finds with the "V". In your second pic, the item in the lower left looks to be a casting with machine work done to it- old rocker arm? Also the item to the right of your musket ball and above the 'HY KO' key looks interesting. Can you tell if it is 3 small coins (probably foreign) imbedded in something.
If you don't know you might take individual pics and post them in the 'what is it' forum. I'd be interested in what others think.

HH, yelnif

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome! The Vaquero is special, but it's not for everyone, no doubts you will do great with it

On the second pic, above the chromed key, what's that object? it looks pretty old

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations from another Tesoro Junkie! :occasion14:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! The Vaquero is special, but it's not for everyone, no doubts you will do great with it

On the second pic, above the chromed key, what's that object? it looks pretty old

I agree with chinchilla. Some newer detectorists become frustrated with it quickly. The Vaquero is a special detector for a special detectorist. I use mine strictly for woods, fields and old long gone homesites, and honestly it is like an extension of my body....I would feel naked without it. And, talk about deep, I honestly have found coins at a foot deep!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you are killing it with your V! Congrats, keep at it!

OP
OP
RichK

RichK

May 22, 2013
Mercerville , NJ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello RichK, nice finds with the "V". In your second pic, the item in the lower left looks to be a casting with machine work done to it- old rocker arm? Also the item to the right of your musket ball and above the 'HY KO' key looks interesting. Can you tell if it is 3 small coins (probably foreign) imbedded in something.
If you don't know you might take individual pics and post them in the 'what is it' forum. I'd be interested in what others think.

HH, yelnif

image-1226450503.jpg

I'm not sure what is . It could be the top to an old locket , it's concave on the underside

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread