Gman-26

Jul 2, 2013
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello peoples....

I'm pretty new to the hobby and bought a old but pristine Whites 5900 Di Pro last spring. I been able to get out about a dozen times with no great finds.
Many coins but no silver yet. I do know I need to do more homework and hit some different parks and places but I have this itch for another detector and it's a bad one.
I've poked around this forum and others and every time I think I've got a new detector picked out it seems there is always another brand that looks and sounds better.
Many MDers swear by their brand of detector which makes for a difficult choice and this is understandable. Ford vs Chevy thing.
So far I've considered the, F4, Coinmaster gt or a used M6.
But now I'm considering the Outlaw based on everything ive read here (great site btw) and seen on You Tube. I'm not really worried about not having a screen and relying on sound actually sounds good and simple to me and fits my budget too.
Questions.....
1) Out of the machines Ive listed are they all pretty solid and comparable machines?
2) How will the Outlaw stack up in this pack?
3) Will the Outlaw be a big improvement over my 5900 and hit more?
4) Should I just ignore my craving for a new machine and keep hunting for the rest of the year with my 5900 and keep learning?

Thanks in advance,

Gman-26
FYI.....I'm in Connecticut but will soon to be moving to Tennessee possibly Florida.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5900 is a heck of good detector! I think the main improvement you will be making is in weight to carry, very little improvement to your finds. IT's more about learning YOUR machine than changing machines.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello peoples....

I'm pretty new to the hobby and bought a old but pristine Whites 5900 Di Pro last spring. I been able to get out about a dozen times with no great finds.
Many coins but no silver yet. I do know I need to do more homework and hit some different parks and places but I have this itch for another detector and it's a bad one.
I've poked around this forum and others and every time I think I've got a new detector picked out it seems there is always another brand that looks and sounds better.
Many MDers swear by their brand of detector which makes for a difficult choice and this is understandable. Ford vs Chevy thing.
So far I've considered the, F4, Coinmaster gt or a used M6.
But now I'm considering the Outlaw based on everything ive read here (great site btw) and seen on You Tube. I'm not really worried about not having a screen and relying on sound actually sounds good and simple to me and fits my budget too.
Questions.....
1) Out of the machines Ive listed are they all pretty solid and comparable machines?
2) How will the Outlaw stack up in this pack?
3) Will the Outlaw be a big improvement over my 5900 and hit more?
4) Should I just ignore my craving for a new machine and keep hunting for the rest of the year with my 5900 and keep learning?

Thanks in advance,

Gman-26
FYI.....I'm in Connecticut but will soon to be moving to Tennessee possibly Florida.

There's always gonna b another machine we all want just happens once in a while I to get that itch to get another machine & try it out if u do end up wanting to get a m6 buddy of mine is selling one he has 2 doesn't need both I can give u his # if ud like to talk to him it only has 15 minutes on it but anyways just let me know & good luck

OP
OP
Gman-26

Gman-26

Jul 2, 2013
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Staying put with my Whites is and learning more about it makes the most sense. just in my few outings Ive had Ive learned a lot about it.
The weight of the 5900 does not bother me at my young age of 52 but I think I would like to try the Outlaw or Vaquero. Wish I could rent one around here.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good decision at this point. In the future you might watch for a good buy on an MXT or M6, but the Outlaw is considerably lighter and very capable other than no screen. All three will find lots of goodies.
luvsdux

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of us would like to get a new detector just so we could learn it and thinking we will find more goodies. The truth of the matter is we get excited playing with a new MD when the older one works just fine. NRA2.JPG

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true sandman

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
when i first got my machine a low end detector for christmas i started looking at and upgrade machine right away thinking what i had wasnt good enough now 6 months later ive learned and become one with my machine and love it we find lots of cool stuff together. location is probaly the biggest factor when finding good stuff.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like some guys on here buy a new detector every 6 months or less. They are always looking for better instead of just learning what they have. Yep, I have the itch too, I think we all do. I hunt on land with a Silver uMax and have become very proficient with it. When there is silver under the coil it finds it and the key to that is getting silver under the coil. As far as clad goes, it is a coin vacuum. I know it's tone well and dig very little trash, even found a couple of rings. It is simple, light weight, and effective. I keep asking myself why I need another detector when I am so good with the one I have. We all think are detector might be missing the deep silver because we aren't finding any so we need a better detector. The truth is that new detector probably won't find any more silver, but we will never know unless we get it and try. It will probably be an expensive lesson.

For now, I might suggest to do what I do. Buy some itch creme and rub it on when you get the itch. Learn what you have really well and learn it's limitations before deciding to buy another, unless you have an excess of cash. Instead get gear to make what you have more effective- coils, quality headphones, and most importantly a Garrett Pro Pointer to aid in quick recovery. Good luck and good hunting!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
well said rainday my next detector is going to be one that excells where my current machine lack this way i will have two machines each one good in a different area

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well said rainday my next detector is going to be one that excells where my current machine lack this way i will have two machines each one good in a different area

And thats the best way yo have it if ur gonna have more then 1 try & get ones that have something the other one doesnt

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Personally having owned 4 machines and my uncle going through 2 new machines recently, about the only ones im interested in are the garrett at pro/gold.
Supposed to be deep and sensative. Hes finding stuff hes never found before in searched areas that the top of the line whites and the fisher f5 cant even detect.
Im about to scrap my xlt, it just cant handle mineralized ground. Ive heard tesoros have the same problems.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally having owned 4 machines and my uncle going through 2 new machines recently, about the only ones im interested in are the garrett at pro/gold.
Supposed to be deep and sensative. Hes finding stuff hes never found before in searched areas that the top of the line whites and the fisher f5 cant even detect.
Im about to scrap my xlt, it just cant handle mineralized ground. Ive heard tesoros have the same problems.

Not sure about all that I have a Atpro & a whites v3i the Atpro will keep up to the v3i to a point but the v3i does excell over it I have no issues in mineralized áreas at all & it goes very deep, but the pro will excell over the v in water by far, my 2 are just not in same leagues to compare bit both very capable of fondo.g great ítems very deep

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd keep learning the White's but when your ready its worth the money for a Tesoro. I got the same version of whites you do (slightly different) and get equal results if not better with a tesoro. really depends on where you go hunting i think. You got a great white's right now so i'd stick with that for a while.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant go wrong with whites great customer service great machines very reliable tons of extras to add on to it I mean for my v3i it seems almost endless on its capabilities

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
u should look on u tube for gunner mn also goes by kaoilinwasher he has vids of the new outlaw operating in very mineralized iron ground and the machine works quite well some of the vids he runs a magnet through the dirt to show how much iron is in his soil. imho tesoro doesent have a problem running in mineralized ground.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions