How can Tesoro afford lifetime warranties?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its probably easier to do if the only diferrence in models are a button here or a switch there. Other companys have vast differences in there lineup. And come out with new models more frequently.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not here to knock any one brand but with soildstate or analog is lower TECH under the hood . I amost bought this brand but wanted the newest tech out .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its probably easier to do if the only diferrence in models are a button here or a switch there. Other companys have vast differences in there lineup. And come out with new models more frequently.

Sorta like different shades of lipstick on a pig, no?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The real question is, have the 'advances' made in MD'ing really surpassed anything in Tesoros current catalog?
There's a lot of 'hobbyist technology' where the 'advances' made by manufacturers are more marketing than true functional advances. For those times when I use my Tesoro, I have yet to feel undergunned.
.................. You are right the metal detectors made today do not go any deeper that they did ...10...20...30...years ago......... All they have are more bells & whistles ....And a lot fall for those bells & whistles........ And Tesoro is one of the best detectors out there ...At a lot less out of my pocket.....

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not here to knock any one brand but with soildstate or analog is lower TECH under the hood . I amost bought this brand but wanted the newest tech out .

With analog you hear what the detector hears. No need for the latest tech with approximated tones based on conductivity and a micro-processor program. I'' trust my ears!

Confederate Sailor

Aug 9, 2013
Athens, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, the reason why the companies who build and sell digital MDs offer 2-5 year warranties is because companies like Motorola who make the micro-circuits and digital displays only make them for a few years and then move on to the next version. Once the supply of parts is depleted, that's it. The MD manufacturer can't promise to warranty their product longer than parts are available. Motorola sells new widgets to said MD companies and then MDs come out with a new model with parts that will again be obsolete in a few years. It's good for business on both ends.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
quality made tough and simple products that seldom need repairs * in a nut shell --

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.................. You are right the metal detectors made today do not go any deeper that they did ...10...20...30...years ago......... All they have are more bells & whistles ....And a lot fall for those bells & whistles........ And Tesoro is one of the best detectors out there ...At a lot less out of my pocket.....

I have a coinmaster from late 1970s. My buddy has a new coinmaster gt. Guess which is deeper. Yep the NEW one. Not only are many machines deeper today, being able to ID a target by tones and ID is an advancement that makes detecting easier, more fun & more productive. If analog was the best way to go, I think other companies would have caught on by now. A rotary dial phone will allow you to call people just as easily as an iphone. Due to its advanced technology, I would much rather have the iphone though.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites Classic ll that's just as deep and separates old iron from silver as good as my Etrac :)

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
The digital detector just converts the analog signal to a digital signal which in turn can start to loose sensitivity as the signal is processed more.Like the audio people say an lp player sounds better than a disc player kind of deal.This is why most say a Tesoro is such a good small jewelry detector.Tesoro detectors are just unique.And if you try one you most likely will stay with it.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a lot of technology these days are just gizmos, sometimes I think some of it is counter-productive due to it lead to distraction

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not trust my ears, and would feel more confident digging in an area that I had to get permission, if the MD was identifying the target as treasure.

But I can not find another MD besides a Tesoro, that I can break down in a small bag, strap it to my MC, hit the trail to a remote site like a wildman, and not a worry about a trail mishap and having an unrepairable MD.

Loupe-It!

Aug 15, 2013
Just curious....How can Tesoro afford the lifetime warranties on their detectors? If they have to repair units that are 5, 10, 15 years old, how do they stay in business? You would think that would cut into profits. I have two Tesoros, but have always wondered how they can afford such a lifetime warranty. Garrett and Whites only have two years. Fisher once had the same lifetime warranty but their 5 year warranty is at least better than the previous mentioned. Not sure about Minelab. Does anyone know how they can do this and still stay afloat.

Hello All,

First post for me.

I found my wife's ex-husbands Tesoro in her attic, put batteries in and away I went! I believe it was a Silver Saber, any how, it was very sensitive and was subsequently used quite often, until the plastic part that connects the coil to the metal tube broke.

I had heard about their warranty and so called, thinking I would have to pay, but to my surprise there was no charge, and I was not the original purchaser! Great customer service, for a great product.

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they rarely break down...:)...I have had a Cutluss II Umax for over 14 yrs. and never had one problem with it. Love it and the finds it makes...

Last edited:

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great detectors. can't go wrong. There are others out there but they just do not compare

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread