How can Tesoro afford lifetime warranties?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious....How can Tesoro afford the lifetime warranties on their detectors? If they have to repair units that are 5, 10, 15 years old, how do they stay in business? You would think that would cut into profits. I have two Tesoros, but have always wondered how they can afford such a lifetime warranty. Garrett and Whites only have two years. Fisher once had the same lifetime warranty but their 5 year warranty is at least better than the previous mentioned. Not sure about Minelab. Does anyone know how they can do this and still stay afloat.

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The warranty is for the original owner, so I am sure many get sold. Their detectors are of the up most quality.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you build your machines to last a lifetime it is easy. American made, by Arizonan's that CARE about the product and take pride in their work. American made, Arizona stong!

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drought many break down as they are of solid state construction....if it works for a year it should work for 20....(I'm sure they don't cover wear and tear) and the cost of the internals is only a fraction of their material costs that go into a MD.
Most any MD manufacture could offer lifetime warrantee without too much worry but I guess they don't see a long future or want the hassle...My Teknetics has a 5 year warranty....

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The warranty is for the original owner, so I am sure many get sold. Their detectors are of the up most quality.
I've had plenty of second hand tesoros and they still back up their lifetime warranty. Great company.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is a Limited Warranty and to the Original purchaser only. Tesoro detectors are extremely reliable.
I read somewhere many years ago that Tesoro warranty repaired a detector that the owner had runover with her car :icon_thumright:

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry. Additionally, backing a product that you know is quality through and through doesn't "cost" you - it actually makes you money. I am sure they know their failure rates as well as their customer loyalty.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great company, I like the way they think about metal detectors

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Me love Tesoro.:notworthy:

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What Terry said, you get what you pay for! Tesoro all the way

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious....How can Tesoro afford the lifetime warranties on their detectors? If they have to repair units that are 5, 10, 15 years old, how do they stay in business? You would think that would cut into profits. I have two Tesoros, but have always wondered how they can afford such a lifetime warranty. Garrett and Whites only have two years. Fisher once had the same lifetime warranty but their 5 year warranty is at least better than the previous mentioned. Not sure about Minelab. Does anyone know how they can do this and still stay afloat.

Analog circuitry is much cheaper to repair. The analog potentiometers and other parts are 'off the shelf' items and are not proprietory to Tesoro. The free return shipping for Tesoro owners who want a 'tune-up' and no repairs are needed, has got to be expensive eventually. I would knock the warranty down to 10 years, they would still have the best warranty available, and wouldnt have to eat costs fixing a 30 year old machine.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the Lifetime Warranty, would they be able to continue to only come out with a new detector every 10 yrs and still survive?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the Lifetime Warranty, would they be able to continue to only come out with a new detector every 10 yrs and still survive?

Hmmm....interesting question! I guess we will never know. Spirit, I dont think there is any real evidence that digital detectors break more than analog though!

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012

They are very light.Some do not care for digital detectors.Tesoro is most likely in a transition phase right now.They may be working on a whole new lineup.I say most likely a digital type new lineup.In the next year,will be announced.I think they are planning something new.I have been a fan since 1989.I know they have to have something planned.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The warranty is for the original purchaser.

The consumer goodwill engendered by the warranty makes them $50 for every $1 it costs them. It's really no different than Craftsman tools. You want to see Warranty abuse? It's unreal with Craftsmen tools- people deliberately breaking old tools so they can get a new, packaged tool to sell on ebay- but knowing you can drive to the local Sears when a wrench breaks and get a new one in return is what keeps people buying those tool sets and to this point, the business math has been favorable.

They've tweaked the warranty in recent years- for example, reneging on the no BS lifetime warranty on garden tools- reports are that some stores refuse to take in tools with rust but overall, that warranty makes them a TON of money.

What's one of the first 'pros' people always mention about Tesoro?
Their warranty. That is why they do it.

The real question is, have the 'advances' made in MD'ing really surpassed anything in Tesoros current catalog?
There's a lot of 'hobbyist technology' where the 'advances' made by manufacturers are more marketing than true functional advances. For those times when I use my Tesoro, I have yet to feel undergunned.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
When a company makes the best product, then you can have a lifetime warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread