New member needing some advice..

fun2dig

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm a new member on treasurenet. I live in se kansas and i'm thinking about buying a couple of compadre's so my kids and i can start a new hobby together. We will prolly hunt in parks,homesites,fields ect. I was just wondering if we can hunt together using the same detectors without them interfering with each other? Which size coil is better on the compadre? Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and HH!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the compadre, though you just have to stay away from each other, not too far - 10 feet would suffice.
Welcome to TN - Good Luck!!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG The standard coil is good. You won't be able to get too close to each other without the detectors talking to each other.

Last edited:

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a Compadre either, but from what I have read, the 8" would be better for open fields and the 5.75" better for trashy areas. If I were to get just one, I would probably lean towards the 8". If buying 2, I would probably consider one of each.

Good luck, and HH!

OP
OP
F

fun2dig

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone! I'm brand new to this hobby and on a budget. I've read alot of good things about Tesoro's and I feel the Compadre will be a good detector to start out with. i was thinking the same as you Scanman, just get one of each since I'm planning on buying two, lol. Thanks again everyone for the replies and good luck to you too!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
Hello all, I'm a new member on treasurenet. I live in se kansas and i'm thinking about buying a couple of compadre's so my kids and i can start a new hobby together. We will prolly hunt in parks,homesites,fields ect. I was just wondering if we can hunt together using the same detectors without them interfering with each other? Which size coil is better on the compadre? Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and HH!

welcome to treasurenet. As a father myself i can deffinitely say that haveing 2 detectors that interfere with one another is problematic to say the least. yes u can move away from each other but both my kids have the same detector and they of course interfere. the problem is that there kids and just starting out so they will be excited and both need help alot every time someone has found something the other come rushing over to see what the other has found causing the detector to go crazy. being only one person ur deffinitely going to be busy lol . and that kinda take away some of the fun. what i would do is either A buy one only one detector and just take turns swinging it and dig the target together or B buy 2 cibolas they have freq shift so u can have everyone close together.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They will be very happy campers with the Compadre. Go for it.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadres are the best "bang for the buck" IMHO. And easy to learn and use.
luvsdux

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You won't go wrong with Compadre.

I have kids also that go hunting with me on occasion and are often distracted at parks by play sets. In my opinion- get one Compadre with the 8" coil and a Garret Pro Pointer for pin pointing. Start out by you doing the detecting and them doing the pin pointing with the pro pointer. Doing the pin pointing keeps them happy and when they run off for the swings and slides you don't have to run back to the car to put their detector away. Another thing the Garrett pro pointer will make target recovery easier and faster. When digging in a public place you want to attract as little attention as possible. The Garrett pro pointer makes quick work of the target recovery and you have cleaner holes. Practice pin pointing targets in your own yard with the detector and pro pointer before heading out to public land. Bury a coin one inch deep in your yard if you have to. Practice clean target recovery so that nobody can tell where you dug. A good thing to do is to place any removed dirt on a drop cloth so that it can be placed back into your hole leaving no sign it was on the turf. Learn how to cut a u-shaped plug to cleanly remove the target. If your kids ran a second detector your main responsibility would be to make sure they dig clean holes and leave no sign of target recovery. This keeps us all from getting booted out the park and detecting banned. When my kids want to detect I give them the detector and help them pin point and recover the target cleanly. If let them pin point alone and dig, the park would be a mess and that would be the end of metal detecting there.

At my two main parks the park employees and county park rangers only stop to say hi and don't bother me because they said they can never tell where I dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread