Why dont dealers carry Tesoro?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Why don't dealers carry Tesoro?

I've decided to buy the Tiger Shark after much research. This weekend I tried to find one at a local dealer. He said that most dealers don't carry them b/c Tesoro is "run by a bunch of ****holes." He said that they don't use small dealers anymore. If true, why? I just went on Kellyco and they don't seem to carry Tesoro either? Anyone know the scoop? I'll still buy one, I'm just curious.

ian

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: Why don't dealers carry Tesoro?

Saginaw,

I don't know why KellyCo does not carry Tesoro, I have wondered the same thing. Here is a list of dealer from Michigan. It is from the Tesoro website. Hope it helps.

Michigan "Gold Star" Dealers
Tesoro Authorized Dealers who have exceeded sales and service goals.

Plainwell

Pro/Stock Detectors - (269) 685-1776
Email: [email protected]

St. Ignace

Sit-N-Bull - (906) 643-6672

Wyoming

DM Outstanding Bargain XChange - (616) 531-7571
Email: [email protected]

If you need it, the number to Tesoro is (928) 771-2646. Usually when you call, one of the owners will answer. That has been the case when I would call. That's funny, to the best of my knowledge, my local dealer is still in business and he sells Tesoro's
Hope it helps

Hope it helps

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X

I recently bought a Tiger Shark and I LOVE it! But, the place I bought it from is not a 'Gold Star' dealer (whatever that means). I don't know about Tesoro but the guy at the 'store' was a d!@&. Now I am wondering if the warranty card they said would be sent ever was. I am hoping so but haven't heard from Tesoro yet. I like the idea of buying locally, kind of give a 'face' to the whole transaction. Let us know how you fare with this and Good Luck. Kevin

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5

I have heard (second hand) that an issue arose between Kellyco and Tesoro over some Kellyco advertising. Tesoro said to stop, Kellyco said no, Tesoro said pack up all the Tesoro's and send them back.

As far as Tesoro's dealer situation, I had no luck finding one to see about a year and a half ago, very frustrating. Just two weeks ago my friend went through the same issues, no machines in stock. If we didn't presently own and like them I could see alot of sales being lost with this no stock situation. He ended up ordering his machine from a good guy who helps sponsor the forems. But, people want to hold a machine before they buy and Kellyco has them to see and hold, wish Tesoro had places like that.

In reference: Whites had there catalogue and a personal letter from the area dealer in his hands four days after he called for information. Tesoro didn't have there catalogue at his house till 3 days after his detector arrived .. so about 3 1/2 weeks to respond.
Tesoro has good warranty and most people are very happy with it. As for the Owners comment, I have never heard anything like that before, it is a family business with a good reputation.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear it is more of a business thing and not a quality thing. I figured that maybe the dealer I talked to just had a bad experience or something. Also glad to hear that the lifetime warranty actually means LIFETIME warranty w/o the small print and loopholes. I'm going to purchase the Tiger Shark soon from one of the places that you guys suggested. Thanks again,

ian

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tesoro is a family owned company. I have had little experience with them, but my emails and phone calls were fast in response and professional. Don't believe what people tell you, that is THEIR experience and not yours. I have been reading a lot about Tesoro, and it all seems good. The fact that you don't see a lot of used Tesoro's on Ebay says something, as there are lots of units out there. Plus even the older models still command a high price for used ones.

Tesoro's philosophy is putting exceptional electronics in the detection principle and not into "bells and whistles". You have to work a little harder to learn Tesoro's, but it's worth it.

ernie

Jun 11, 2004

tesoro would not let kellyco sell their detectors because they were selling far below what the small dealer could and driving them out of business thats when tesoro changed it marketing and would not let big companies sell their detectors.also kelleyco was selling repaired detectors as new.at least thats what i was told.i have six tesoros and a few other brands and tesoro has the best warranty and they stand buy it.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT

I am a Gold Star Tesoro dealer and they cater to the smaller dealers. Kellyco does not sell them because Tesoro does not sell to Kellyco. Kellyco will not follow Tesoro's dealership rules so they are not a dealer. I can sell you a Tiger Shark no problem. Tesoro is a great company and always has been. :) They are for the treasure hunter and run by treasure hunters. Any dealer that doesn't sell their products but bashes them with vulgarities is not a dealer I would ever want to do business with. Le tme know if I can help you out.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used most of the major brands and Tesoro is second to none, in quality, warranty and customer service, before and after the sale. There are many small dealers who sell Tesoro, Kellyco not carrying them is more of a testament for Tesoro than against them.

Gearhead

Greenie
Apr 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
White Matrix 6, Tiger Shark

Ian did you find your Tiger Shark? If not let me know. You may want to try Rick at R,J's TV repair in Goodrich he handles tesoro and I just got a Tiger Shark from him. Let me know how you make out

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro

Ian I have been a Tesoro dealer for 25 years call me at 1-800-777-1799 ill be glad to help you. Allan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I bought my Tejon off ebay from detectorelectronics.

He's a good seller and fast shipping.

Also, you can often get extras if you ask for them before buying a machine.

I got a nice set of headphones and coil cover free.

Tesoro dumped KellyCo years ago over some issue. The last I knew they favored the small dealers but they have rules and if a dealer violates those rules they're history.

Badger

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Tesoro is second to none in the customer service field after the sale. The warranty says for original purchaser, but they repaired my DeLeon, which was used, free of charge. I have owned 4 Tesoro's, 3 new and one used and they are always great about repairs, response, and quick to fix problems. The "only" thing I don't think the warranty covers is user abuse, and the cable on coils, but even then, they gave me a BRAND new 4 inch coil (slimline at that), when my old fatty 4 inch quit working. I even had electricians tape wrapped around the cable where the plastic rubbed through. Don't worry about Tesoro. They are one of the good guys. As far as Kellyco, they sell LRL's....enough said.

phantomx6

Greenie
Feb 16, 2006
Kansas City, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTA 500, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Explorer SE, White DFX

I do most of my shopping at a place called Clevenger's in Kansas City. He carriers a full selection of all detectors except Minelab -- incliding Tesoros. He is also a mail order dealer, and I have had really good luck with him. His number is 816-436-0697. I have bought both a Vaquero and a Tiger Shark from him, and the prices are really competitive. Good Luck!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

phantomx6 said:
I do most of my shopping at a place called Clevenger's in Kansas City. He carriers a full selection of all detectors except Minelab -- incliding Tesoros. He is also a mail order dealer, and I have had really good luck with him. His number is 816-436-0697. I have bought both a Vaquero and a Tiger Shark from him, and the prices are really competitive. Good Luck!

I see you own a Minelab SE, how do you like it?

Badger

phantomx6

Greenie
Feb 16, 2006
Kansas City, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTA 500, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Explorer SE, White DFX

Hey Badger --
I like the Minelab SE alot. However, I'm still getting used to the various tones. Everything else is pretty straight forward, and it does go deep! Are you thinking about getting one?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

phantomx6 said:
Hey Badger --
I like the Minelab SE alot. However, I'm still getting used to the various tones. Everything else is pretty straight forward, and it does go deep! Are you thinking about getting one?

I like buying and trying all machines. The Ex II and SE are two I haven't tried yet. I know they must be good because there are so many using them today. If a machine is junk they don't go far.

Maybe some day I'll get a used SE off ebay. I've found that most of the top machines are good to great once one learns them. The problem many times is the new owner panics before he has time to learn the machine.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread