How Long Does A 9 Volt Battery Last?

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
A hell of a long time.
Got my Outlaw almost 3 weeks ago and I'm still on my first Panasonic battery that came with it. As my wife says, I'm a stats guy, so I keep track of battery life, target depth, soil conditions in different parts of my area along with a bunch of other things.
The manual says 10-20 hours. Well I've got 35 hours on it and it's still going.
I know people will say your probably not getting full power. But yesterday I dug my first gold ring of the year at 7"-8" and also got a small gold chain at 3". Along with more old deep coins. Turn on battery test is just as strong as the beginning.
I've been carrying a spare for a while now and decided to see just how far it will go. My GTI got 25 hours max on 8 AA's, but it took more juice with a screen.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got an arsenal of Tesoros that use the 9 volt. My observation isn't scientific at all, but using headphones, the batteries last so long that I'm usually shocked when one fails. Most of my hunts are just a few hours (if that) at a time, so the battery definitely gets a rest between hunts. I haven't felt that battery life is an issue at all for me.
luvdux

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems my Tesoro's last a longtime on any batteries.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just long enough to get 1/2 mile from truck in a ghost town and it die completely. And you know the spares were not in my pocket where they were supposed to be! The propointer battery comes in handy.

Last edited:

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope Ronzie, you are getting full power. The battery voltage will be higher than the circuitry regulator voltage/s. When it gets to low you will have more than one noticeable problem. Today's batteries are pretty good quality and when using headphones the battery life is even longer. My best guess is that I am getting 30 to 40 hours plus on a battery. I have changed twice so far this year.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen the 9 volt but hoping that its made but Energizer batteries came out with the platinum 9...lasts 9times longer than normal. They make a 6 and now a 9 in double and triple A and I've used a set of the 9s in my ATP for I don't know how long, I've lost count and its still at full when I use an external battery tester. Way I figure if a detector states it will use a set every 20-25 hours well times that by 9,that's the math energizer is using and claims. Trying to find it in 9 volt,would be nice

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of Energizer Platinum 9, and a Google search did not turn anything up either?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL wow I typed it on Bing and found it no issue..called energizer platinum lithium and they have some that last 6 or 9 times as long as your normal battery. I bought mine in home depot. After all the hours used they still show full charge on the meter. They're not cheap, $9 for a pack of 4 but they last so long they pay for themselves.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

Hit the 45 hour mark and still have full power. :headbang:

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no platinum lithium from Energizer, its called the Ultimate Lithium and it only comes in AA or AAA not 9V, the 9V is called Advanced Lithium. I run both these batteries in my Garret detector and Minelab Pin Pointer, and they have surpassed anything Ive run so far. While I will admit that the Pani Evolta is an excellent choice, I like the Bunny a lil better.

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

48 hours and still full power.:thumbsup:

OP
OP