Brand New Compadre "falsing". Defective?

Nogil34

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys hoping to get some imput as Tesoro is closed. I just received this unit in the mail yesterday & it falses really bad in all-metal mode when shaken even the slightest bit. This is with a brand new Energizer 9v, it does the same with the Panasonic Tesoro sent. I am pretty far away from my house & all power lines in the video. Do you guys think this is a sensitivity issue or possibly a faulty coil/unit? Again this is brand new. Kinda sucks if I'm gonna have to pay to mail in a brand new unit. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try wrapping the cable a bit more snugly, but not too tight, especially the part within 10 inches or so of the coil. If you can determine there's no movement of the cable within range of the coil and it still does it, then I'd think it may be a bad connection between the cable and the coil.
luvsdux

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes things like radio towers can have a similar effect, but it sounding off when you tap it leads me to believe it's a detector issue. If you drive a few miles and get the same crazy behavior it is likely a problem with the unit. The coil being hardwired obviously means the whole thing has to go back... but these things happen and a good dealer should take care of you.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problems with the 10x12 that came with my outlaw as I was hunting today. Switched to the 8 in and it went away. Its all part of manufacturing and I like you will be making a call on tuesday. They do have great customer service and will fix everything I am sure.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Nogil34, I can't really tell from your video but does the coil have a cover on the bottom? If so take it off and make sure it is clean and dry as well as the bottom of the coil. Might be some lite condensation from shipping. You do need to secure the cable to the shaft- Velcro straps is best but duct tape works also. That is all I have for now- If you can't figure it out call Tesoro (Rusty) and I'm sure you will be well taken care of. HH yelnif

Hey guys hoping to get some imput as Tesoro is closed. I just received this unit in the mail yesterday & it falses really bad in all-metal mode when shaken even the slightest bit. This is with a brand new Energizer 9v, it does the same with the Panasonic Tesoro sent. I am pretty far away from my house & all power lines in the video. Do you guys think this is a sensitivity issue or possibly a faulty coil/unit? Again this is brand new. Kinda sucks if I'm gonna have to pay to mail in a brand new unit. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about your dealer? Did you call the dealer that sold it to you for advice? They should send you another machine or cover your shipping cost if the unit is defective.

OP
OP
N

Nogil34

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for the responses guys. I will secure the cable with some velcro wraps and try it a bit farther away from civilization to see if the problem persists. There is no coil cover on the unit.

What about your dealer? Did you call the dealer that sold it to you for advice? They should send you another machine or cover your shipping cost if the unit is defective.
I emailed, may try calling this afternoon. It is labor day weekend though so it may be Tues before I can get in touch with the dealer or Tosoro.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you wave the coil in the air you are waving an antenna and could be picking up EMI. Wireless routers or extenders, cell tower, radio tower etc. Does it do it well detecting with the coil being swept above the ground?

OP
OP
N

Nogil34

Aug 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you wave the coil in the air you are waving an antenna and could be picking up EMI. Wireless routers or extenders, cell tower, radio tower etc. Does it do it well detecting with the coil being swept above the ground?
Yesterday before I shot that vid it was basically unusable until the descrim was turned pretty far up. I actually used it some today & it was pretty ok actually. It seems EMI was/is definitely a factor but I'm still not sure the coil is exactly as it should be on this machine. I'll talk to Tesoro about it on Tues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread