Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter found this with her Compadre yesterday:

gold.jpg

14K gold, 8 grams.

Yeah, get her the Compadre. You won't regret it.

Dan

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I'm really wanting to get my wife a Compadre but just curious what you think about this machine. I like the fact that it's a high frequency machine because we love looking for jewelry and nuggets. Any advice or success stories? Thanks

Have no idea about nuggets, but everything else that I do know it can find is...

Coins...check
Silver jewelry...check
Gold jewelry...check
Chains of all kinds...the best I have ever seen
Pretty much everything else...get your coil over it, it will tell you.

Attachments

• comp stuff.jpg
    comp stuff.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 121

Odds

Greenie
Aug 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger shark.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to use it on the beach I would get the silver umax over the compadre. I found that the compadre is not the best in wet sand (fresh) dont get me wrong it works, but not as much depth as the Silver umax. Searching the beach in the rain was less than optimal for me and silver did better job.

Now if your doing tot lots and Parks, I like the compadre with 5.25" coil better than the silver with its 8" but thats just me. especially if its one of them trashy parks.

OP
OP
piratebooty

piratebooty

Oct 6, 2013
Hi odds, yea it's back to that money thing. Lol. I'm really thinking of going with the original plan of getting the compadre and 350. Seems like a great set of inexpensive detectors

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started detecting about a week ago and decidedto pick up the compadre. After only 4 hours of detecting I had this thing figured out and it is a coin KILLER! Also a set of earrings,ring,coal tag,well over $3 in change not counting 20 plus coins pre 64. I keep hearing that this is an entry level detector but seriously,How much better can they get?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Don't even come close to even trying to hunt with an F2, then, you will just have your mind blown.
The Compadre is a fantastic entry level detector and extremely productive, but those who know what it is capable of know that entry level is not where it should be categorized...it is really in a class by itself and does some things effortlessly that others only dream about.
Rusty at Tesoro told one Tesoro owner that the good folks at that great company consider the Compadre a mistake.
They now believe they made it TOO good and it actually does cut into sales of higher end products.
To their credit they did not kill it or cheapen it like most companies will do when they realize this, they actually came out with another larger coil model instead.
Being in sales most of my life it just boggles my mind that this larger coil came out at the exact same price as the smaller coil version...again something not normal for most companies to do.

A starter unit with a screen?
I consider the F2 in that same category.
Not just a cheaper unit that pales in comparison to its up-line and more expensive brothers, but more like a detector that thinks it is a top shelf unit and that behaves that way but is just missing a whistle or two and a couple of bells.

I am lucky enough to own and hunt with both, have a great time using either kind, cannot imagine not having both in my arsenal and have found enough with each to pay for themselves many times over.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre- simple, inexpensive, super sensitive, lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that. On the findmall forum there is a dedicated group of Compadre users. They call it the Church of the Compadre. It is flat out an excellent detector for any skill level user.

Pirate booty, well you are figuring out that 250 your wife is gonna be diggin the goods! You should consider a Silver uMax or Cibola over the 250. Others may disagree, but is hard to go wrong with simple and effective.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compadre- simple, inexpensive, super sensitive, lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that. On the findmall forum there is a dedicated group of Compadre users. They call it the Church of the Compadre. It is flat out an excellent detector for any skill level user.

Pirate booty, well you are figuring out that 250 your wife is gonna be diggin the goods! You should consider a Silver uMax or Cibola over the 250. Others may disagree, but is hard to go wrong with simple and effective.

rainyday101, I agree completely.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Garrett Man....but for the money, i would go with Cibola over ace anyday.....And you save enough in a year or two in batteries to pay for the Compadre.....lol

OP
OP
piratebooty

piratebooty

Oct 6, 2013
Lol. The battery thing might be right. Haha. Well I found a great deal already on a Ace350 that a guy bought and tried to use it and couldn't figure it out. Never detected in his life and thought he was going to find millions. Lol. This 350 is in MINT condition with the box, phones, un filled out warranty card (he only had it a week or so), and he gave me a brand new long handle beach scoop. All for $200 on Craigslist. Couldn't pass it up. Now my wife says " where's my compadre?" Lol. She's just teasing me, but she's really excited to get one. So I think I'm going to order a new one next week.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be happy with the Ace...Garrett is very good to deal with if u ever have problems. Not the lifetime warranty of the Tesoro machines but probably the next best thing. Good luck!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a Compradre for others to use especially my girls. The Silver Umax is a good one also, but unless I can get it for the price of the Compradre, I just wouldn't spend the extra for an entry level machine. You can't beat either for a beginner to use. Simple, fast and lightweight. Great for the competitions.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I keep a Compradre for others to use especially my girls. The Silver Umax is a good one also, but unless I can get it for the price of the Compradre, I just wouldn't spend the extra for an entry level machine. You can't beat either for a beginner to use. Simple, fast and lightweight. Great for the competitions.

I have enterd a few competition hunts at our clubs annual end of the year activities and the Compadre is my tool of choice.

To date I have found enough silver coins to pay for the next years entry fees, and enough tokens to gather prizes that have added up to several hundreds of dollars if I bought all that stuff new.

Also I never had had a problem with frequency interference cross talk hunting next to any other machines so far.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have enterd a few competition hunts at our clubs annual end of the year activities and the Compadre is my tool of choice. To date I have found enough silver coins to pay for the next years entry fees, and enough tokens to gather prizes that have added up to several hundreds of dollars if I bought all that stuff new. Also I never had had a problem with frequency interference cross talk hunting next to any other machines so far.

Don't let others tell you that that's toy it's a perfectly good machine.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to use it on the beach I would get the silver umax over the compadre. I found that the compadre is not the best in wet sand (fresh) dont get me wrong it works, but not as much depth as the Silver umax. Searching the beach in the rain was less than optimal for me and silver did better job.

Now if your doing tot lots and Parks, I like the compadre with 5.25" coil better than the silver with its 8" but thats just me. especially if its one of them trashy parks.

Is there a reason the Umax is a better machine at the beach? Looking to get my lil one his first real detector but since we live in Florida Im sure the beach would be in the near future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread