Question for Tesoro owners......

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend 50 hours learning the 'nuances' of 1 tone, or spend 10 hours learning a multi tone machine and spend the other 40 hours digging up treasure (and avoiding trash). Sure the VDI may lie sometimes but why would a SINGLE tone be more effective than multi tones? My back is too sore to dig every rusty bolt that ID's as a quarter (very common occurrence with my Vaquero). With multi tones, I can EASILY hear the difference between a quarter and rusty iron bolt. Some like to spend time learning, some like to spend time recovering treasure.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't take 50 hours.
I would love to see a (honest) video of someone running NO disc and still be able to tell iron from a silver dime. I spent over 80 hours trying to learn it and still dug up way more trash (mostly iron) than treasure. Too bad they don't explain how to use the single tone to discriminate in the owners manual. In fact they don't even mention any nuances, or differences in the single tone in the Vaquero manual. If it were such a viable concept, they would probably mention it instead of saying to set the disc knob where the unwanted targets drop out. I can hear/see all the different metals in the ground (less trash masking) even when in all metal mode with my Minelab. Try using all metal to hunt in a trashy site with any Tesoro.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I would love to see a (honest) video of someone running NO disc and still be able to tell iron from a silver dime. I spent over 80 hours trying to learn it and still dug up way more trash (mostly iron) than treasure. Too bad they don't explain how to use the single tone to discriminate in the owners manual. In fact they don't even mention any nuances, or differences in the single tone in the Vaquero manual. If it were such a viable concept, they would probably mention it instead of saying to set the disc knob where the unwanted targets drop out. I can hear/see all the different metals in the ground (less trash masking) even when in all metal mode with my Minelab. Try using all metal to hunt in a trashy site with any Tesoro.

I would never hunt in no disc and not thumb that knob to figure out the difference between a dime and iron.
I hunt trashy sites 98% of the time with all my detectors including my Tesoros...real trashy sites, sometimes, but I would never consider hunting in all metal unless I was relic hunting.
That is just not how you do it when using these types of units.

They don't mention a ton of things in those manuals like how it is more accurate to turn past the target and then down instead of going up to the fade out point, anything about any nuances in the tones, scratchy sounds, sharp ends or anything else and never have.
That doesn't mean these things aren't real and true, it is just that Tesoro doesn't tell you about them.
Luckily, all this stuff and more has been talked about on all the forums for years, and most Tesoro owners know that it is all true and it works.
I do dig up lots of trash because I can figure out a lot of it but not all of it.
I also dig a ton of trash with my detector with a screen and I choose to on both kinds because I am always looking for gold.
Maybe a bit more trash with the Tesoros but between the two kinds I am about even.

Some people get into the Tesoro way of hunting and really get to understand those tones and nuances, actually grow to love hunting this way, and some don't.

Hey, you gave it a great shot and 80 hours...but hunting with Tesoros is not your thing and that is evident...using screens is much more logical and better for a guy like you and that is fine and it is great that you know this.

I actually love doing it both ways and love that I have the opportunity to change when I get the whim or urge, and if I do say so myself I got pretty good at both styles of hunting.
Still learning to do both better, though...that will never end.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never hunt in no disc and not thumb that knob to figure out the difference between a dime and iron.
I hunt trashy sites 98% of the time with all my detectors including my Tesoros...real trashy sites, sometimes, but I would never consider hunting in all metal unless I was relic hunting.
That is just not how you do it when using these types of units.

They don't mention a ton of things in those manuals like how it is more accurate to turn past the target and then down instead of going up to the fade out point, anything about any nuances in the tones, scratchy sounds, sharp ends or anything else and never have.
That doesn't mean these things aren't real and true, it is just that Tesoro doesn't tell you about them.
Luckily, all this stuff and more has been talked about on all the forums for years, and most Tesoro owners know that it is all true and it works.
I do dig up lots of trash because I can figure out a lot of it but not all of it.
I also dig a ton of trash with my detector with a screen and I choose to on both kinds because I am always looking for gold.
Maybe a bit more trash with the Tesoros but between the two kinds I am about even.

Some people get into the Tesoro way of hunting and really get to understand those tones and nuances, actually grow to love hunting this way, and some don't.

Hey, you gave it a great shot and 80 hours...but hunting with Tesoros is not your thing and that is evident...using screens is much more logical and better for a guy like you and that is fine and it is great that you know this.

I actually love doing it both ways and love that I have the opportunity to change when I get the whim or urge, and if I do say so myself I got pretty good at both styles of hunting.
Still learning to do both better, though...that will never end.
Digger27, I appreciate and respect your input and opinions. It's not really the screen that I believe is the real advantage with my Minelab. It is the multi (19) tones that allows me to run all metal even in the trashiest sites and decide what to dig based on those tones, only using the ID#'s as a reference. Any solid tones that stand out (& don't jump much) among the lower iron tones are diggers. I use the ID#s to get an idea of what conductor category the target MAY be. It really is weird running wide open, with no disc but I have found good targets in the same 30x30 ft spot in which I previously notched out iron, so I believe there was some masking going on when notching. I actually enjoy the low tones of the iron (and knowing where it is in the ground) over the 'snap, crackle, pop' on a single tone machine trying to disc out iron, etc...I wish others could have a way to try this out and see how they would like it, it's hard to explain how well it works, it's much different than any detector I've used. At this point I feel I need to learn my main detector as well as I can, and switching back & forth to my beep & dig just seemed like a waste of time to me. Some beep & dig users are totally happy with their technology, but like you said (especially for the price of my Vaquero) it's just not for me. It just seems like a lot of cash to me for such old technology. JMHO. HH, Scott

mybackhurts

Oct 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get all three coils? Or just the 8" concentric? While I primarily use the 8" - the other ones are great to have at the ready when needed. I hope you're as happy with the Outlaw as I am with mine.

i just got the 8 inch even thought the package is a great price. i can't see needing or wanting the 12x10 so for now the extra money is in the piggy bank for a water detector.

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Tesoro Silver Sabre II in 1994 and pulled a 6 pdr. on my first hunt with it. Since then, I have used Arados, Whites, and Minelab machines, with the Sabre as a back-up. The Whites and Arado all stopped working, and the Minelab Sovereign GT was sold due to it's weight and propensity to overlook iron (cannon balls, shells, canister, etc...). The Tesoro has NEVER let me down. Two nine-volt batteries and an entrenching tool will get me knee-deep in history on most every hunt. Everything in my display table at home, even the arrow-heads, was found deep in the woods while swinging my Tesoro. Single-tone, All metal threshold and click to discriminate ferrous/non ferrous, exactly the way I would use the TEJON. Once you get to know your machine, you won't even have to think about what your Tesoro is telling you; it's like muscle memory.
I was swiingin two days ago, walkin up a ridge and instictively stopped. I hadn't even consciously heard anything from the machine, but something told me to back up and swing again. Sure enough, there was a deep 3-ringer giving me that warm, well-rounded tone. 15 more came from that spot, one-after-the-other, until I was satisfied I had gotten them all.
Tesoro Electronics replaced the arm rest/stand when I fell on it a while back, free, no questiones asked, other than my address. You cannot go wrong with these machines; they will serve you well.
collect.jpg

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cycluran ....where u located in the great state of Virginia???

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Vaquero and a Golden Umax. Can I hunt trashy places with them with results?, "sure" my way to hunt a trashy place it to use the widescan coils, 5.75 for the Vaquero and the 7in widescan with the golden,, and I've had good results.. did I miss targets,, I'm sure I did, because I went back with the AT Pro and picked a few more goodies, and vise versa ... in heavy Iron I do use the AT Pro more I will say tho.. once you learn the Tesoro language you either like them or you don't... I personally love mine.. the bouncy numbers sometimes really annoys me trying to pick the goodies among trash.. but there again to each his own..

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The single tone will tell you a lot. I hunt with my Silver uMax with the disc set to just knock out pulltabs. Trashy areas are where I get most of my good coins. The Tesoro will separate the coin from the trash and give you that nice clean coin sound. It doesn't take long to learn. When I hunt with my 7 year old son I leave the headphones off and use the speaker. When we hit a target he tells me if it trash or a coin. It didn't take him long to learn. If I go through a trashy area to fast he tells me to slow down so he can here it pick out a coin.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

True. I have my CTX 3030 set to 4 zones and only two tones low grunt and high pitch. a low grunt for iron and can slaw range, super high for coins and silver "AND" nickels range. Nickels sing out just like silver. You just ignore the grunts with a wide open screen, no discrimination and listen for a high peep, you can analyze it after you get the coin squeal. BUT, I still think you miss coins in iron due to slow recovery if the minelabs. I want to try a Tesoro to see if the recovery speed will pick up those I missed with the CTX. Only one way to find out. But I cant imagine using only one tone.

Maybe a Fisher has the speed to pick up those missed by the slower Minelabs, they have terrible recovery, CTX better than the Etrac but still not near as fast as the the Fishers, Tecknetics, AT Pro, Tesoro's recovery times from what I see people doing recovery speed tests.

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daniel, the older MXT has the 2 tones you speak of and a faster processor.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it's about ,How much money you want to spend.

Will a multi-tone machine give me a diff, tone for a Nickel ,A pull tab ,& a Gold Ring.?
Davers

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your talking way to many tones and a very big variable to decifer for sure between the items you mention as pull tabs and gold come in at different areas as do some nickels, pending on their age and make up.

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
I've had many machines through the years. Currently I'm chugging away with a Vaquero with a NEL TOrnado coil. THis is the 2nd Vaquero I've had in the last 4 years and I've had other Tesoro models over 29 years.I like the V for several reasons, its fast,its deep,alot of bang for the few bucks,simple(KISS). Out of all the detectors i've owned the TekG2 was my fav due to the high 19khz and the 2 tone with grd phase readout and love of buttons. I did notice on it though with the 2 tone a deep minnie or button wouldn't always chime in on the high tone. I had to skin it back an inch then check it again as it has lack of depth with the stock coil. So just because its 2 tone doesn't mean it'll tell you everytime its good or bad. A good deep target which normally reads high tone can come in as a low tone or garbage causing you to pass it up. The readouts I've had in the past was digital and analog. I found after about 8 inces the readout is hit or miss and not 100% reliable. I don't mind taking my shovel and skinning back and inch of ground or two it only takes about 30 seconds. I've always said if your too lazy to skin it back or just dig it then take up fishing or crochet because a hobby where you get on your knees and dig is work. And work has its rewards.

Last edited:

lawbambam

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2013
Barrie, ON
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Stingray 2 with cable adapter, Minelab Profind 25, Vibraprobe 580, 10x12 widescan coil, Cleansweep coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's are amazing in trash filled areas and have the best discrimination. Once you've used it for a short time it'll be hard to go back. Absolutely eats my Explorer and GTI 2500.
You don't rely on certain tones or numbers and get quite good at predicting what your digging.
Also impressed with the AT Gold at picking out the good stuff in loaded iron areas.

My next 3 machines over the winter are the Tejon, Tiger Shark (for diving) and the AT Gold for wet weather & fresh shallow water.

I'd suggest the Tejon with the killer depth. I love my Outlaw and if you want different tones the Golden UMax has them. Once "you get" a Tesoro you'll be laughing at amazing they are. Bells and whistles are just a waste of money imo. My Outlaw out performs any machine I've owned.

Wait till you use the Tiger Shark, you are going to love it! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread