Got My New Outlaw In Today/ Looks Good

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Got my new Outlaw in today, installed some wire loom protection and padded cork tape on grip (easy to clean does not trap dirt like foam and get grungy) Waiting on rain dust cover should be here next week.
Happy Hunting To All, :occasion14:
Bill G

Attachments

• Outlaw 1.jpg
    Outlaw 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Outlaw 3.jpg
    Outlaw 3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Outlaw 4.jpg
    Outlaw 4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 91

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill good luck with your Outlaw. I am digging what I see with the mod to the grip. Awesome! Where do you get padded cork tape?

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Bill good luck with your Outlaw. I am digging what I see with the mod to the grip. Awesome! Where do you get padded cork tape?

jfeeney,

You can get it at a bicycle shop. It is the same cork tape they wrap road bike biycycle handle bars with. I try to find the kind that does not have a thin two sided tape on the back side so it does not rip my foam grip if ever removed (a little harder to find) if it has the two sided tape on it I carfully remove it with out ripping the cork tape before I install it over my detectors foam grip. You wrap it tight overlapping (look at the pic above)at the top of the grip to capture and hold the tape. Then you wrap down the grip tight like a candy cane overlapping. when you get to the bottom of the grip (I go past a little keeping things tight this is key to sucsess) you pull it tight hold it and wrap with black tape to hold it from unraveling. ( the same way you apply it to bicycle handal bars) It works great and it is easy to clean without holding dirt on it like foam grips do in the poors of the foam.

If you can find Giant Bicycles handal bar tape it does not have the two sided tape on it and it is the best I have found (a Giant Bicycles dealer should have it) other brands are that way too sort of hit and miss.

I use 1/4" plastic wire loom material on the coil wire (Pep Boys or any auto parts store should have it. They make it in diffrent sizes 1/4" works on the detectors. I apply it wrap it with one light overlapping coat of tape and you will never damage or cut your coil wire on anything.

Hope this helps,
Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Oldbuttplate

Oct 18, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT. It was free. Still works good.
Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are killing me with all the new outlaws I see on here, going to be hard to get one by the wife!!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill a thanks for the info. I'll look for a local Giant dealer and pick some of the tape up. As well as the wire cover. Very much appreciate the detailed info.

I was in the same boat with my wife about a year ago. I got the OK for the Outlaw when she was coming out of anesthesia after some minor surgery. I felt a little guilty but I got over it pretty quick. LOL

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Bill a thanks for the info. I'll look for a local Giant dealer and pick some of the tape up. As well as the wire cover. Very much appreciate the detailed info.

I was in the same boat with my wife about a year ago. I got the OK for the Outlaw when she was coming out of anesthesia after some minor surgery. I felt a little guilty but I got over it pretty quick. LOL

Your very welcome,

Here is a pic of something else I did to the new Outlaw. I put the Tesoro rain & dust cover on it but I cut the clear plastic face out of the cover that covered the knobs. I just did not really like how the clear face piece blocked the access to the knobs. The key thing is it still protects the control housing and I can get to the control knobs easily and it still looks good on the detector.

I find putting all the protection items on the detector up front increases the value of my detector down the road. If for what ever reason I do sell or trade one of my detectors in I just simply remove all the protection materials and they still look really nice. Not like they have been used like an old shovel. I blow them of with air and wipe them down with a lightly dampened cloth after each use. Like I said the dividends pay back in the end.
Take Care & Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Attachments

• Outlaw cover 3.jpg
    Outlaw cover 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Outlaw Cover 1.jpg
    Outlaw Cover 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 96
  • outlaw cover 2.jpg
    outlaw cover 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 77

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my Tesoro rain and dust cover once and did not like it at all, it would always move my threshold. I see doing your mod in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Have fun Bill!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread