Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to know just what you'll find, so it really depends on how much digging you're ready to do vs. what kinds of jewelry you're after. Good choice of detector, though! I'd probably set the Disc just above "Foil" and just dig whatever hits solid.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
Thank you! I'm ready to do a lot of digging. I heard it's still possible to find rings in dry sand. Let's hope so!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, if they're there you'll find 'em, and that's a good detector to do it. Today my Silver uMax found a deep flat button in an area I've POUNDED with a couple other detectors including (I won't say it because the guys who own those detectors would get mad).

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
That's pretty sweet! A flat button is on my list to get. My dad and I are going, and he's going to use his garrett gti 2500. Too heavy for me.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
Here's what I found. A bunch of Change, some copper wire, and a little bling earring!

Attachments

• image-1063067814.jpg
    image-1063067814.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1453696475.jpg
    image-1453696475.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2261162948.jpg
    image-2261162948.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 115

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, hope you had a fun hunt. Couple of those pennies look like they were there a while.

Where did you set your disc knob? Wondering how many pulltabs you dug.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
These beaches were very clean. I dug 3 bottle caps and 2 pull tabs for 3 hours of hunting two beaches. I set my disc right above foil like you said with the sensitivity all the way up.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering they combed the beaches with those machines, it looks like you did pretty well. We're pretty long after the peak season, so they've had some time to work.

But, you never know what you're going to find!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul you got there.I wish you continued good luck.HH.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
Thanks justdon. Maybe in a couple weeks we wi go back. Wish I could go back today. Just had a tiny tropical storm.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Silver uMax is a great detector for that. Yes, rings are lost on the beach sand. My 8 year old found two gold rings on the sand just laying there. Somebody probably took them off before swimming and set them on the beach towel. When they went to leave they picked up the towel and off went the rings. This was a real fresh drop and they were his and her marriage rings. Because they were so fresh I contacted the city police and left them there. The next day somebody inquired and claimed them. I like gold rings but because these were so freshly dropped I figured someone might be looking for them. On the beach turn that sensitivity way down and scoop it all. Keep at it as no beach is every truly hunted out.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
Thanks rainyday, I will turn down the sensitivity next time. Should I be in all metal mode or discrimination mode?

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks rainyday, I will turn down the sensitivity next time. Should I be in all metal mode or discrimination mode?

Sorry, my typo. It was supposed to be turn the disc way down, keep sensitivity as high as you can without getting any falsing. Set the disc to the "O" in iron, maybe the "F" in foil. The point is use a handheld scoop and just scoop all good sounding targets. It's a lot easier than digging on turf, so there is no sense in missing anything. All you need is a handheld sand scoop, Garret has one on their site, scoop and shake the sand out. The goodies are left in the scoop.

For the money your Silver uMax is on hell of a detector and will outperform many detectors costing much more. Spend as much time with it as you can and learn the differences between a clean tone and a scratchy tone. I find my Silver to be one incredible detector. I have about 100 hours on mine this season. It has never let me down and continues to amaze me. No matter what I buy next I will never sell the Silver. In a nutshell- simple, inexpensive, effective.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rainyday101 said it best. I still love to hunt with a Silver uMax. It's all about putting in the time to learn it. 100 hours, 200 hours... keep at it.

If it wasn't late and freezing outside, I'd want to go out and hunt w/ a uMax right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread