Please help me decide which detector to buy

P

porcelein

Hi...I am another newcomer and I have no idea what I am doing. I have wanted a detector for years and have finally talked my hubby into letting me get my first one. I am trying to make a wise choice. I think I have narrowed my choices down to purchasing either a Tesoro Silver UMax or the Garrett 250Ace. I sure would appreciate any help deciding between the two. Tesoros sound like a good machine with an impressive warranty but I am wondering if I need the target I.D. screen or not. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
the silver umax is a great machine it has no pinpoint mode but motion required to pinpoint is very slow.the warranty is the best in the business and they stand by their products.the ace 250 is a completely different machine.it has target id depth reading and factory peset modes for coin jewelry relics and custom mode that you can set any way you want too.comes with an instructional dvd plus a easy to understand manual.more bang for the bucks.i owna few Garrett's and tesoros and like them both but the 250 gives you a lot more for your money.and has a two year warranty.and Garrett service is great also.i would recommend the 250 for you only because it has target id.email me if you have any questions.best of luck on what ever you decide.
ernie.

OP
OP
P

porcelein

Ernie,
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate your assistance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I like the Umax, I have to agree with Ernie on the ACE 250 being a better machine for most beginners. While I don't care much for a visual display that can lie to me, I understand the value if it's right sometimes. Trouble is you may not retreive some target and it could be a good one. By the way, 90% of the gold rings lost will read as pull tabs. Just so you know, this is true on all machines, even the $$$ ones.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
P

porcelein

I wanted to thank both of you again for your kindness in responding and helping me with the decision. I REALLY appreciate it and I can't wait to get started!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread