AT pro or outlaw

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that you are comparing apples and oranges here. If you plan to detect in the water then the choice is obvious. If you don't than it comes down to other factors. Do you really want a screen? Will you ignore the screen and hunt by audio or will you start trusting what the display is telling you and start getting too selective with your digging and miss good targets? I say that because that's what I did.

As a Tesoro fan I would obviously suggest you wait to see what the new machine is all about. There are rumours that they will be releasing two machines. If you can't wait, you might want to take a look at the new MX5 from White's too. At $499 it might end up being the biggest bang for the buck detector in a long time. ($499 is the real price, not the published $599)

I will admit that I've been lurking on the White's forums to see what people are saying about that new machine.

As for the Outlaw, if I didn't already have a Vaquero I would definitely buy the Outlaw. Having the Vaquero I don't see a clear advantage in the Outlaw other than better battery life, 3 coils included, and the no motion all metal. Also, the switch to all metal as opposed to twisting the disc knobs would be nice. Hmmm...maybe I do need an Outlaw!

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outlaw also does pretty well in alot of iron trash with its lower frequency....and small coil is awesome in trash aswell. However, i would hate to say that it is a "better" machine than my ATP. I love my ATP and once you have learned it in the Pro Mode you can do alot with it. Mine paid for itself in 6 months. To compare them ....Outlaw comes with 3 coils/ ATP only one...Outlaw is lighter and much easier to swing for long periods....ATP is waterproof/ outlaw is not...Battery life is much better on the outlaw, but this is because of no readout....The Tesoro has very good discrimination to small iron (nails) but once you learn the ATP you will run it in pro-zero and "hear" the nails so disc is not a big deal. If you want a readoout go with the Garrett if not go with the Tesoro. And if i could only own one machine it would be one of these two forsure...

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8", Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's tough but I say wait for the new machines, you already have one of the best coin, jewelry machines available. I get the must have new machine bug every once in a while also. Just a bit of advice, if you do get a new machine hang on to the Silver if you can because later on you will want another.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
This is a really tough decision. Is it worth buying the outlaw when I have the umax? The outlaw seems like it's another step up from the umax. Am I being silly?

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I have no interest in the AT Pro as I'm not near salt water. Now the AT Gold I'm interested in, but am holding off until I see what Tesoro is releasing next year. If Tesoro brings out a comparable machine to the AT models then I'm going to buy Tesoro.
I can't say enough good things about the Outlaw. Sold my GTI 2500 & Explorer SE which would be collecting dust if I didn't. Great depth, super disc with fast recovery. A pleasure to use in trashy/iron filled areas.
I'm getting the Tiger Shark & Tejon . Hopefully the new model is what I'm looking for also or I'll get the AT Gold. Still don't understand why people get the AT Pro without even looking into the AT Gold. Even if I was near salt water I'd go for the Sand Shark.

OP
OP
pristinelove89

pristinelove89

Jul 30, 2013
I may just go with the outlaw because of the 3 coils. I want something light and easy to use. Has it found a lot of silver coins and jewelry?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The outlaw will find the silver....even in trashy areas; i have seen this first hand. But i have alot of silver from the ATP in trash aswell. And Ronzie, for me i could care less about jewelry, i want civl war relics and old coins, so for me i got the ATP with both coils for the price of the AT gold. The outlaw and ATP are good machines and i think it comes down to personal preference.....either machine could out do the other depending on the area and definately the user!

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice given, I would also try to wait and see what Tesoro comes out with next, I wish Tesoro could release more information, but I understand that may effect current stock, and apparently they just are not quite ready for a release yet.

I have no experience with the Outlaw, but it is also available with the single coil at a reduced price, something to possibly consider.

I am also interested in the White's MX5, I really like the feature set, and the option to hunt in inclimate weather is a plus for me. I keep seeing references for a price of $499.00, and I would like to know who is selling them at that price? Kellyco gave me a price of $529.00?

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was quoted $499 by a local White's dealer here in Canada. It's tempting, but I'm going to wait for the new Tesoro. I've come to realize that it's not just metal detecting that I enjoy, it's metal detecting with a Tesoro. I've had lots of other machines, and they don't put a smile on my face. I'm afraid this MX5, as good as it may be, could end up in the classifieds like the rest.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a new B with a bad case of the fever, why because I just pick up 3 Tesoro's . I don't know about the other machines out there, all I can say is Im very pleased with my Tesoro's and would like one more , the Golden Umax. What I've read and seen I think this would be a great addition to my current line up , a great park unit able to notch out a lot of trash. The Outlaw is a nice unit, able to pinpoint very nicely in the All Metal no motion, plus the 3 coils it comes with is a great deal. Im not sure going from the Silver Umax to the Outlaw will be a great enough leap for you, try looking at the Tejon instead. By stepping up the a higher end unit you will need to EXPAND your learning curve which is ALWAYS a good thing in any hobby. Peace.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's are very well made and that is why they have a lifetime warranty....you can see the quality even in their compadre; the cheapest machine they make. I have a coinmaster from white's that is their "cheap machine" but it definately shows!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I have the Silver also. It sure found it's share of coins this last season. I can't find one bad thing to say about it. I also have the new detector bug and want a depth demon. I personally don't think the Outlaw is enough deeper than the Silver to justify. I know the Outlaw is kick butt detector but I don't think you will gain much. You can get really good depth by putting the 10 x 12 on the Silver, at least that is what I have read. Haven't seen any test results to verify this though. My guess is it would give the Outlaw a run for its money with that coil.

A new Tesoro machine? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I like Tesoro BUT they couldn't even manage to fix the Golden. From what I have been told they don't even employ a true engineer. New machine I doubt it. Maybe a new faceplate on an old detector. Oh and my Tesoro pet peeve, my 8 year old kid could make a better manual in Microsoft Word.

I will admit though, the Tesoro machines in their current line up work dam well and are a great bargain.

As mentioned above the Whites MX5 looks to be a killer detector so far.

If you just want more depth consider the Cibola or the Vaq.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Tesoro BUT they couldn't even manage to fix the Golden.
I don't follow what Tesoros been doing since I got rid of my Vaq & Outlaw. I did know they had issues with the Golden. Did they NOT fix them? The Outlaws had their fair share of issues when they came out too but they seem to have straightened those out from what I understand.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've gathered through hearsay and rumour is that the Golden has been discontinued. It's probably time. That one wasn't a depth champ. I had one, and it was fun, but it wasn't real deep.

It DOES seem likely that a new machine is coming in 2014. They've pretty much came out and said that when they were taking a poll for a new machine name.

I wonder if the Golden was dropped to make room for a new tone machine? Wild speculation at it's best!

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the multi tones of the Golden...just wish it had manual GB and waterproofing would be nice! I'd buy one!

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the Golden, and I think it may have been one of Tesoro's better machines. I say that not from experience, as I have only used Tesoro detectors in my signature, so take that for what its worth. I agree on the lack of depth, one of its only shortcomings that I am aware of? I am not interested in manual GB machine unless it also had a fixed or auto setting as well. If you only like one tone machines, you will not like the Golden, but man for me, it makes life easier playing the guessing game. I suspect there was more going on behind the scenes with the death of the Golden and IMO suffered a premature passing.

Tesoro has had a lot of time to engineer a new detector, maybe they will surprise us and come out with a game changer. I am certainly rooting for Tesoro! But I am afraid Rainy is probably spot on.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I hate to say it, I'm not expecting a game-changer from Tesoro either.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro has had a lot of time to engineer a new detector, maybe they will surprise us and come out with a game changer. I am certainly rooting for Tesoro! But I am afraid Rainy is probably spot on.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not expecting a game-changer from Tesoro either.

It's hard to come out with a game changer today. VLF technology has reached the end of it's physical limits and depth. The deep ones today can be noisy and emi prone because they are so hot and have such sensitive receivers. I think the F70, F75, T2, and Tejon are good examples of that. I feel any new detector, at least VLF is more or less repackaged with some new improvements on tones or VDI stability. For the time being we are gonna just get a repackaged VLF with a new name or a new feature that doesn't do anything spectacular. I'm not complaining, even though it sound like I am, I am just stating the facts and being realistic. We all have our favorites and they work quite well, but at the same time we are all looking for something better. It's human nature and it keeps the manufacturers in business.

I don't know for sure, but from what I have read some of new VLF detectors may be slightly better than some of the oldies like the CZ's but not a ton better. If this is the case we have been at the edge of VLF technology for some time now. I am fine with that though because a VLF will still find any coin I am looking for, just some better than others. There is a limit on what I am willing to spend on a coin finder, but I am always looking for the best detector within that budget. All of the manufacturers have at least one detector that fits that bill within my budget.

So don't expect anything real big from any of the brands in a VLF detector. They have already reached their zenith. At least that's my take on things!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions