COMPADRE OR VAQUERO

NJBOB

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

New guy here. I've been kicking around on what detector to get. I've decided that I don't want to get a detector with display for my first purchase. I want to learn how to distinguish targets in a more pure/traditional method. I want a Tesoro.

Trouble is I can only get one detector now and can't decide between the Vaquero or Compadre. leaning towards the Vaquero because I like the idea of having more adjustable controls and manual ground balance. But still the Compadre looks like it would be really fun and easier to learn as a newbie. Whatever one I get, I will eventually get the other.

I have a number of modern parks and basketball courts close to house for coin shooting. However, I also am close to some older towns and sites that should provide a chance to locate some older coins which I am very interested and in finding. I also have access to tidal rivers that should provide some good hunts during low tide for some really old stuff and being in New Jersey I'm close to miles of ocean beaches.

Given the wide range of hunting I available to me would one be better suited to my needs over the other?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I planned on detecting as a hobby, and not a one time thing, then I would get the Vanquero. The Vanquero is more versatile and you can pretty much set it and go once you have the hang of it. It isn't much more complicated then the Compradre and then you would have a detector that you can still use for a long time and use it in more variety of situations. Also more variety of coils if you plan to keep it.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'd go with the Vaquero as you won't out grow it like the Compadre. Once you use a Tesoro you'll never want or need a display.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaquero also has the advantage of interchangeable coils. Put a 5.75" concentric on it and you have a super Compadre. As much as I like the Compadre, I'd make the Vaquero my first choice or waffle back and forth in my mind between the Vaq and the Outlaw.
BB

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, kudos on your decision to skip a display and learn to hunt with audio only.

I have both. I would take the Vaquero over the Compadre for all the reasons already mentioned. But why not consider the Outlaw too? The Vaquero has a little more depth but the Outlaw offers a few other features, like 3 coils, non-motion all metal pinpointing, a more precise disc and much better battery life. Get either one and you won't be disappointed.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro will be coming out with a new machine. Might be worth the wait.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will second Ronzies comment that you will probably outgrow the compadre fairly quick. Also, for coins i like the outlaw over the Vaquero....but Vaq is a little deeper. Cibola is another choice....if you dont need manual GB. Any of these are good machines and once learned would serve you well.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I planned on detecting as a hobby, and not a one time thing, then I would get the Vanquero. The Vanquero is more versatile and you can pretty much set it and go once you have the hang of it. It isn't much more complicated then the Compradre and then you would have a detector that you can still use for a long time and use it in more variety of situations. Also more variety of coils if you plan to keep it.

Well said :)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't look past the outlaw either!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the Tesoro's are very competitively priced why not buy two of them , one for you and the other for your hunting partner.
My wife and I now enjoy hunting together , she with her Compadre and I with my Outlaw.

OP
OP
N

NJBOB

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the Tesoro's are very competitively priced why not buy two of them , one for you and the other for your hunting partner.
My wife and I now enjoy hunting together , she with her Compadre and I with my Outlaw.

I want both of them, but with being new and needing to buy all the extras I can only afford to get one for now. I still want to get get a pin pointer, lesche, knee pads, and a rain/dust cover. Those little things add up fast.

I think I'm going with the Vaq and will get the Comadre later. The Comadre can be my backup or if the kids/buddy want to tag along.

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and especially don't forget a GOOD set of headphones!! Plan on spending $75 - $100 for new ones. The good thing is that once you are fully indoctrinated into the "Way of the Tesoro", the headphones will be interchangeable. Get GOOOOOD ones; Grey Ghost, Jolly Rogers, Killer B's, are just a few of the better brands with a pretty wide price range in each of them. Just my $.02. HH

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...and especially don't forget a GOOD set of headphones!! Plan on spending $75 - $100 for new ones. The good thing is that once you are fully indoctrinated into the "Way of the Tesoro", the headphones will be interchangeable. Get GOOOOOD ones; Grey Ghost, Jolly Rogers, Killer B's, are just a few of the better brands with a pretty wide price range in each of them. Just my $.02. HH

And a good pinpointer as well as a half decent hand digger.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it will all add up! Good choice, they should have called it the Tesoro Vacuum it will suck a lot of stuff out of the dirt thats for sure!!!! The Kids will love the Compadre. It has to be the easiest to use metal detector on the market, yet one very cable of good depth, my wife was digging 6" dimes and we dug a drainage grate in sand at 12", ( we are learning ) its all good.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Santa's got a Compadre coming to my house this year. ;-) My little boys been staring at it in the Tesoro catalog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread