Compadre Sound Question

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those with more experienced with Compadre: Does the Compadre beep get softer as a good target is deeper or does it break up, or does it stay strong up to the depth limit and then suddenly drop off? I hear people, not necessarily Compadre users, talk about hearing those soft deep target whispers. Is this relevant to Compadres? I have only heard loud hard targets or broken beeps, no soft solid beeps. Not sure if I'm missing something and need to tune my ears better.

Thanks.

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8", Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got my Compadre I thought the sound would be modulated like the Silver UMax which would get softer the deeper the target, but it's not the case with mine anyway. If it does it's not much. I actually prefer it that way, it sure lets you know when you have a good target! I have dug quarters at 5"-6" with no change in sound. Keep at it the Compadre is a great machine!

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Yes, it gets softer the deeper the coin, but only after a certan depth relative to the size of the coin. Anything within 4-5 inches should sound obvious (5.75" coil). You want your disc level to be comfortably under where the target discriminates, not just under... for there to be a nice mellow signal at depth.

Make depth hunting a speciality, turn the disc down to somewhere around iron or lower (yes, even if you're hunting high conductives). Only listen to the faint, mellow, round consistent tones. Let me know how you go.

OP
OP
T

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have to set up a test bed. I'm either not hearing the faint signals are I'm dismissing them. I've kept a spreadsheet of what I've found and the depth I found it and most everything is under 2", but that's probably due to the nature of where I hunt, younger parks and totlots. The few deeper targets I've dug have hit like a freight train. There's a few that have been deeper than my digging tool and I've passed on them due to trying to keep my digging discrete, and also these parks tend to be back-filled and all the deep targets so far have been trash (mostly cans). I usually hunt right at iron in parks, or all metal in farm fields.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me it does seem the deeper the target the softer the tone.Hang in there with the compadre its an excellent little md.I consider it a coin magnet.Good luck.HH.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I got my Compadre in August 2011 and even though I have several detectors I use with screens and without, I still have managed to acquire hundreds of hours hunting time with this one and many more hours than that using a Vaquero I purchased and used for more than a year before, also.

I have made it my mission to scour all posts and articles on all forums and websites to learn techniques and tips to get better at understanding the Tesoro language as well as I possibly could, and I have also done a lot of experimentation in the field and discovered many things about how these fine units work and more importantly how I could get them to work the best for me in my sites and the way I hunt.
I am still attempting to learn new things on each and every hunt using these and also those few great units with screens that I also own and enjoy and do still change around and use all of them when I have the whim, and as far as I am concerned that learning will never end.

I can tell you that once you get to really understand the sounds you hear and the Tesoro language, an understanding at a deeper level that took me way longer to learn than just the month you have been using your great Compadre, there are many more surprises and discoveries and thrills in store for you in the future, and you will gain abilities you didn't know you had because these abilities are, alas, not innate...they must be learned.
As with all things that have worth this will take a little more time, but that time will be well spent and it will be very productive and fun to learn these things all along the way on this journey you have started.

I can tell you that there is indeed a difference in sound in objects that are coin sized and at different depths.
It is slight and it is subtle but it is there, and one day out of the blue you will begin to hear this and be able to tell the difference.

There is also a difference on some sounds you might hear on many different targets whether they are trash or good.

I can also say for certain that on some targets, my favorite targets which would be of the golden variety, that the sound you hear on the larger types like big gold class rings that come in the zinc area also have a sound that is unique and I hope you will come to experience and come to understand this particular sound one day.
On smaller gold objects and rings I still can hear no difference in the kind that I hear when I come across any other good targets like coins.
That big gold sound is different, however...way different.

The first time I heard it was on large class ring I scanned with my Compadre.
I knew it was a different sound than a normal zinc penny but at the time I didn't really understand that difference...I was just surprised that this big gold ring popped out of the ground and not the expected zincoln.
The second time I heard this sound was at a later time on another large gold men's class ring when I was using my Vaquereo, and this time that sound made me stop in my tracks, it rocked me back on my heels and made me catch my breath for a second...it was so unique and by then I was able to recognize it.
That sound is full and sweet and pure and sustaining like the sweetest bell tone you have ever heard, and quite different than the many zinc penny signals you will probably come across before you have an opportunity to hear a sound like this.
That beautiful sound is now firmly lodged in my head, my brain, my heart and I suspect my very DNA, and this is my holy grail tone that I hope for and wish for and long to hear once again on every hunt and every time I use one of my Tesoros.
That particular sound out of all others is the one that to me is the most addictive...I want to hear it again and again and with luck I will, someday.

On all detectors I own for the past few years I have posted on a few forums many things that I have discovered and learned in my travels in order to help anyone and everyone I can get over learning curves a little faster, learn things that will help them enjoy this hobby a little more, and mostly to help them in any way I can find that next great thing that will make them as elated and thrilled and happy as I have been when I have found something great.
My way of paying it forward for all the help I have received in my time spent in this great hobby from so many forum members.
All I have ever asked is that they post a picture of these great finds because for some strange reason looking at them makes me feel just about as happy as they are knowing I had even just a small part in accomplishing these rare but great feats.

To that end here is something I wrote on another forum last April on how I hunt with my Compadre and what I look and listen for.
This was an attempt to answer someone that was new with another Tesoro, an Outlaw, and it was about understanding the difference between good targets and trash and it might be of some use to you, also.
You might not want to do it this way, or maybe you might, eventually we all learn the best way to do it for ourselves, but all I can say for me this way of hunting works and works well, and others have told me they tried it and it works for them too.

Add all this up and it is a novel, but hopefully something in all of this might get you a little further ahead, a little closer to and a little better at understanding the Tesoro language a bit faster.
The more you know, the better you get at this the more enjoyment you will get out of this hobby, and this too I know is a fact.

HH

----------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

Idxpro is learning his Outlaw and asked a question about how to tell the difference between good targets and trash...specifically tabs, on another forum.
I have been making an effort to get as good as I possibly can at doing exactly this for awhile now and I think I found something that works very well.
There are several techniques we can use to target types when using most Tesoro detectors and I know and use them all, but this one is the one that works the quickest for me with the highest degree of success and accuracy.

For the benefit of any newbies that have picked a no screen Tesoro as your first detector I would like to say good for you...learning to hunt by sound can only be helpful to you as you spend time in this hobby, and I hope this technique might come in handy and become as useful to you as it has for me if you decide to try it.

--------------------------------------------------

This is what I have learned about dealing with trash using Tesoro detectors.
I am usually a dig it all hunter but late last year I got real tired so for about a month I stopped doing so much of that and at the end of some long hunts do it still, and I have worked very hard at trying to figure out trash so those "what if" feelings don't drive me insane when I am in that kind of mood.
I think I might be a little crazy compared to others because so many try to avoid digging tons of trash and I seem to be the opposite where I love digging it and the trashier the site the better I like it.
Well, maybe not like so much as long ago I decided this is the best way to hunt...for me, and I do this for the exercise as much as finding treasure so there is that reason, too,
I suspect the real reason I got to this point is among all the trash signals I have dug I have also had some major surprises along the way...very huge and delightful surprises... and I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of ever missing anything good let alone great...so I dig and I am fine with it.
For those times when I just don't feel like digging every blasted thing I come across I have read about and use some well known tips others have posted like whipping the coil over a trash target quickly and noticing if it breaks up, or lifting the coil as I swing over a target and listening to see if it breaks up at the edge of the scanning field or just fades out, and these techniques work.
I have also done a lot of experimentation discovered something else.
On every target I come across, and I mean every one, I got in the habit long ago of NOT just turning that disc knob up till the signal fades out to see what area the knob is pointing to figure out target types like all the manuals say, but I always turn all the way past the area till the target fades out completely and then slowly turning down the knob to the point where the target comes in .
Except high tone targets like quarters that don't disc out, of course.
After several zillion targets acquired and dug I am convinced this is a much more accurate way to figure out just about every target.
I get so much more information out of not only seeing where that disc knob ends up when the signal is solid and full, but more importantly I get even more info when I hear precisely HOW that
target comes in.
I noticed that and most good targets like coins, definitely on others like rings that are full and not broken, and surprisingly on most chains too, when I turn down that knob most good targets will just "come in"...solid and full...there is very little crackling or fuzzyness in that signal most of the time, not even one or two clicks.
Trash on the other hand usually does have much more crackling and clicks in that signal before it firms up and I assume this is because most detectors are designed to home in on solid round objects like coins and not irregular shapes like trash or objects with holes like tabs.
Now this is not true 100% of the time because the universe and life just doesn't work this way for us in this hobby.
There are some trash targets that do act like good coin targets and will come in full and solid and with no clicks.
Some beaver tail tabs with that tail folded over, foil that is thick like a coin, compressed and formed into a round coin shape, some small coin shaped pieces of can slaw and even a few sta-tabs do fool me me from time to time because there is virtually no difference between some of these and a real coin signal.
If those kind of targets are laying completely horizontal and flat in the ground this can compound this problem, but luckily most trash is not horizontal but turned slightly on edge to almost vertical, in my experience, and react accordingly with much crackling and clicks.
Conversely, sometimes good targets like coins do act weird and have some fuzziness and at least a few clicks before solidifying, too.
I noticed this happen on a few zinc pennies and nickels can be totally weird, sometimes.
Yesterday I was using my Compadre and dug a nickel that was a little iffy and didn't even disc out till close to the tab section, and another nickel that came in at the correct area on the disk knob but still acted very crackly just like trash.
Even though I was a little tired at this point and was not digging all trash I still dug both of these signals because I heard something in each signal that triggered my digging impulse...a slight solid tone that rang true even though they were very short nowhere near the very solid type signals that most good targets I dig emit.
Exactly why I dug those is hard to explain but I just chalk that up to an ability I have acquired over the hundreds and hundreds of hours swinging my Tesoros...something most Tesoro owners can attest to once they accumulate
enough time and experience in listening and learning the Tesoro language and quality of the tones.
The good thing about all this is that even though I do this thumbing knob thing on all targets to figure them out I also dig most targets too, and I can proudly say I have gotten good enough to correctly determine trash from treasure about 90% of the time.
On hunts where I don't dig every signal I still do check myself and dig many of the trashy ones throughout every hunt just to make sure...again those what if feelings will mess with my head and destroy me if I don't...and this is no matter how tired I am.
The best thing is my greatest targets I have found like gold rings, silver coins and silver bracelets and chains, this technique worked 100% on those type of targets every time.
Don't think this thumbing, listening figuring out thing takes a whole lot of time either.
I have had so much time in doing this and so much practice I have gotten extremely fast at it and usually beat out any and every hunting partner in shear volume of targets dug even though I take a few seconds to do this on every one, and still seem to hit those correct guesses somewhere around that 90% number most of the time.
I am not saying I never leave any good target in the ground doing it this way, after all if I never dug a trash sounding but still good target how would I ever know, but I can tell you that I have had a few hunts where I was avoiding digging as much trash as I could and still walked away from 2 in particular with a pretty empty trash pouch but a couple of really great treasures.
One was a nice silver necklace that came in as foil, and another which was a gold ring that also came in as a higher foil signal but below nickel.
Trash targets both in a site filled with other trash targets that came in at exactly the same positions as many trash signals at these sites and yet still sounded good, and more importantly met my criteria of coming in solid with very few if, any, clicks at all.
I read all posts on several forums about techniques using the Tesoro detectors and try to remember and use them when I need to, but I have not read many that talk exactly about this sort of technique of turning past the fade out point and back, or if they do at the very least using it as much as I do.
On my Compadre I know this works tremendously, on my Vaquero it seems to work just about as well, especially when using a concentric coil over my DD which has a slightly sharper disc ability.

I am assuming it will work on most Tesoro's including the Outlaw.
If you have a mind to please give it a try and let
me know if it works for you, too

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Great post, Digger27!

Thanks, I just do what I can to help.
Posting about my Compadre and my F2 the most because I used them more than others, by now way over a dozen hunters on a few different forums I hang out at have publicly thanked me because at least one thing in some post somewhere did help them find something great.
Usually that great thing more often than not is gold, and I get the best feeling of all when that golden treasure turns out to be their very first one.

OP
OP
T

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input Digger27. I have said before that your thorough posts helped me make the decision to select the Compadre. I knew it wasn't a detector I would "grow out of", but would rather "add on to" in the future. I've had this device since late October and gone on over 30 hunts and recovered 300 coins with it and I'm starting to see some patterns. Sometimes it takes a bit of repetition for me to learn something, LOL. I have found that modern tabs often, but not always, give a double beep (I guess because of the two holes), but sometimes I'll get two beeps from clad quarters too. Dimes beep loud, as do quarters and smashed cans. I think I can definitely distinguish between odd shaped foil and shredded cans but still get fooled by compact or round foil. I think I've got a good handle on the coin shooting aspect and just now need to start concentrating on the more subtle differences in the sounds I'm hearing. That's why I was wondering if I was missing soft sounds. It may be more an issue of my hunting sites not being old enough to have deep targets, or a few old sites that have been regraded in the 90's. Thanks for chiming in and I'll be sure to post the first Au I recover.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the input Digger27. I have said before that your thorough posts helped me make the decision to select the Compadre. I knew it wasn't a detector I would "grow out of", but would rather "add on to" in the future. I've had this device since late October and gone on over 30 hunts and recovered 300 coins with it and I'm starting to see some patterns. Sometimes it takes a bit of repetition for me to learn something, LOL. I have found that modern tabs often, but not always, give a double beep (I guess because of the two holes), but sometimes I'll get two beeps from clad quarters too. Dimes beep loud, as do quarters and smashed cans. I think I can definitely distinguish between odd shaped foil and shredded cans but still get fooled by compact or round foil. I think I've got a good handle on the coin shooting aspect and just now need to start concentrating on the more subtle differences in the sounds I'm hearing. That's why I was wondering if I was missing soft sounds. It may be more an issue of my hunting sites not being old enough to have deep targets, or a few old sites that have been regraded in the 90's. Thanks for chiming in and I'll be sure to post the first Au I recover.
You are very welcome, and I hope at least one thing in all these techniques helps you get better faster and find that next great thing if you try to use them. Post a picture of the first shiny yellow thing that has a number stamped on it with a k next to it and I will be proud and very happy, indeed. A note... Those double beeps you hear I don't believe have anything to do with those tabs having 2 holes as much as it does with depth or maybe a few other situations. Many targets you sweep over, tabs for instance but even coins, if it is extremely close to the coil you will usually hear a double beep as one end of the coil passes over it and then as the other end passes by. This range is small, definitely surface targets, targets that are 1/4" or 1/2" deep also if you are scrubbing the coil on the surface. Maybe a little deeper than that 1/2" too but usually when you get somewhere near the 1" mark and beyond you will usually only get a single beep at that point. Situation #2 will get you double beeps if there are 2 targets near each other, (even at different depths), and can happen if they are within a few inches of each other or even as close as an inch or even less...the target separation and recovery speed is that good on this thing. Swing at the right speed and you will get those double beeps every time when this happens and when your disc is set to accept both target types. The third situation you will get those double beeps is one of the reasons I recommend a Compadre be in the arsenal no matter what else you own or swing... Next to big metal when looking for good targets in the vicinity no matter how big that metal is. I am referring to any and all tot lot structures, fence posts, bench legs and anything else of that type. If you get good at this and learn to swing at just the right speed the Compadre will double beep on any target near or even leaning on one of these big metal obstructions, one beep for the big metal, one for the actual target. Ya gotta practice this, only the correct swing speed will enable you to get that double beep and indicate another target you will want to dig, but it works on all Compadres no matter what coil model you use the 8" or the 5.75". My 7" coil Compadre with the sense turned up to max can do it too...and very easily at that. Most owners of the small coil variety say they can get right up to big metal at factory settings and that is great, but me...I can't get within a foot of any big metal of this type before mine goes off because it is set to be hotter than hot...however I still can get that double beep every time when I swing just right. I once found a Looney dollar coin from Canada in a suspiciously and unusually clean tot lot within one inch of a huge metal pole about 4" deep in the chips doing exactly that, among many other targets others missed completely. For this reason alone and discounting the many others is a fantastic reason to own a Compadre, in my mind. Nothing I have ever swung including several other detectors even when using sniper coils can do this so easily and so effectively if at all...none, try as I might. One nice gold ring found in a tot lot or next to a fence pole can easily pay for the entire unit and might be able to be found even at sites that have been hunted by many others in the past with any other detectors you would want to list. In my area the tot lots are clean...way too clean if you get my drift, so I know others are hunting these things a lot and regularly. Doesn't matter to me, I still pick up plenty of coins and small pieces of jewelry at each and every one if I concentrate and work the areas around the big metal. I can guarantee you those others are not using Compadres to hunt these sites or if they are do not know about this double beep ability. I don't mind telling others on these forums about this stuff but if I ever see another hunter in my area using a Compadre hunting in my parks my lips are sealed. Here is a video I did using a borrowed 8" coil Compadre this past summer in case you have not seen it. Most of the time I was swinging high enough not to trigger that double beep that I talked about on shallow targets in situation #1. A few times I did come close and on those swings you will notice not 2 beeps but 3. Trust me, all this stuff works. Try it and practice it and you will see.

Last edited:

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BIG* GOLD* RINGS* TONE* WITH* THE* COMPADRE (5.75* COIL )

Hi digger27 ! :sunny:

With reference to the excerpt from your post #7 identified down below, when using a Tesoro Compadre how would you describe the difference in the tones between the Big Gold Rings you have dug on the whole and pre-1982 copper cents ? (Please state coil size when replying.)

BTW, my personal experience with the 5.75 coil Compadre has been that the pre-'82 copper's tone is more like a Dime or Quarter with a stronger, smoother sound and also will ring-up deeper than a zincer will. (and the visual target I.D. on my Teknetics Gamma 6000 usually jumps back and forth between dime and quarter on a copper, sometimes holding steady on one or the other.).

A SUPER GOOD post ! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks,

ToddB64
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

digger27
(aka: Digger27 on Friendly Metal Detector Forums.) Excerpt from digger's post # 7, dated Dec 12, 2013, 12:18 PM on Treasure Net >Metal Detecting Forum >Brands > Tesoro > "Compadre Sound Question" thread starter by Talondale, dated Dec 10, 2013, 03:29 PM

EXCERPT:

The first time I heard it was on large class ring I scanned with my Compadre.
I knew it was a different sound than a normal zinc penny but at the time I didn't really understand that difference...I was just surprised that this big gold ring popped out of the ground and not the expected zincoln.
The second time I heard this sound was at a later time on another large gold men's class ring when I was using my Vaquereo, and this time that sound made me stop in my tracks, it rocked me back on my heels and made me catch my breath for a second...it was so unique and by then I was able to recognize it.
That sound is full and sweet and pure and sustaining like the sweetest bell tone you have ever heard, and quite different than the many zinc penny signals you will probably come across before you have an opportunity to hear a sound like this.
That beautiful sound is now firmly lodged in my head, my brain, my heart and I suspect my very DNA, and this is my holy grail tone that I hope for and wish for and long to hear once again on every hunt and every time I use one of my Tesoros.
That particular sound out of all others is the one that to me is the most addictive...I want to hear it again and again and with luck I will, someday.

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post digger 27!!
I too thumb past then go back but never paid so much attention to how it was coming in, at least conciously. But I did notice that trash does crackle alot.
I have some trash specimens I have in my bench test bag o crap that will crackle all the way from before max all the way down to below pull tabs haha. Bent up weird shaped old tabs.
But now that you put it down like that, that's the best way to explain how I hunt.
It started just to go past and back to when it came in just for seeing where it was on my knob, but I had noticed how coins came in abruptly and trash and like you said some weird coins come it "dirty" I call it.
Fabulous post and some great info in there for the community!!!
Right on brother!

Happy hunting all!!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Just to add to this older thread I just got a Mojave and compared to the Compadre the deeper target modulation, softer, quieter on the deep ones, seems a bit more pronounced.
Just started using it though so more data needs to be gathered.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Mojave acts more like silver umax?

I did notice on my older cutlass umax (12khz not the cutlass II at 10khz) has the ability to ring in more faint as the target gets to bottom of detection depth. Before the Mojave, this was my "modded compadre without having to mod one" solution. 12khz, sensitivity, older high pitch audio, and a click down all metal that stays in disc but bypasses the disc circuit

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger27, what a great post. For me, as a newbie, like going to school.
Thank you.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Anything at all that I can do to help another hunter find that next great thing is truly my pleasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread