Iam i addicted to tesoros

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel the only negatives for any of the three mentioned are the lack of a sensitivity control on the Compadres and the factory preset ground balance on all three and that's only a problem in more heavily mineralized ground, so may never be a problem. I have several preset ground detectors (Tesoro) and have no problems in the areas I hunt with an exception or two. Pros - quick turn on and go detectors, easy to learn and fun to use.
luvsdux

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
The biggest negative is that there is no all metal mode. All the others like sens, GB, and the other trimmer pot which I don't know what it does... you can mod.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you turn the disc all the way down on the compared it is in all metal.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have a Vaquero and a Compadre and have used them in both the horrible soil in Alabama and also the much better soil here in Kansas.
Depth was an issue in Bama in that devil soil, but it was the same with anyone's and everyone's VLF detectors across the board.
Even the manual GB and a DD coil on the Vaq didn't help much because the soil was so awful and the depth was unbelievably pitiful.
Still found way more than my share of coins and silver and gold jewelry among many other great treasure despite all of this.

Here in Kansas the soil is just about perfect and both units go way deeper and work even smoother and I have found a huge amount of new great treasure and coins every time I use them.
I have the unique experience of using them in two completely different environments and soil types that are about as different as you could ever come across and they worked extremely well in both.

I made a big effort over time to get good at using them and to really learn and understand the Tesoro language to get the best out of them.
Even though I also use detectors with screens, the Tesoro language is a rich one with a huge amount of information available to you when you understand it, so much so that most that only use screens and have never tried hunting with sound the Tesoro way usually never believe how much information is actually there at our disposal.
There are plenty of techniques and tips you can use to actually help you make very good educated guesses on what is in the ground and I have learned these to the point that I believe I am just about as good at this as I am when using screens...and I am pretty good when I use those screens.
Beep and dig...not even close.
More like beep, figure it out and then dig...something that is fast and easy to do and learn with a high percentage of success given enough time.

I do have a complaint about them, however.
I don't use a treasure pouch, I put all my coins and good finds in my front left pocket when I hunt.
Using these I sometimes run out of room or the weight will begin to slow me down after filling it up on some hunts because they can find so much so easily.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Cibolas. Light weight, good discriminators and great depth. Very light weight and I'm digging a lot of good stuff with them. Great on salt water beaches also. I tried some more expensive brands but were no better and the AT gold I had was terrible and very heavy.

OP
OP
justdon

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say the reason i got the silver umax is because the compadre impressed me very much.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard good reports on the Silver Umax

Enjoy

Scanman

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The field report on the silver umax on Tesoro's website may be something u want to read. Sounds like a great machine, especially for the money!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Silver uMax and have used it all season. Went through 4 batteries. That is a lot of use. It has it's depth limit in my mild soil. 6-7 inches is realistic, maybe 8 under ideal conditions with moist ground. For sure it is a coin slaying and ring machine. I found 7 rings with it this year and all were fake/cheap, but it found them no problem. I pulled over 200 coins out of one park that the park employees said had been well hunted. This just goes to show you that no place is ever hunted out. In the trash if you slow down the swing and listen for the good solid tone over all the cracks and pops from discriminated items you will do good pulling the coins out of the trash that others have missed. I have zero complaints about my Silver and will probably never sell it. It is just simple and effective up to it's depth limits. Tesoro did really good on this detector.

One day at a park I ran into a guy with a DFX. We chatted and he asked to see how the Silver did in the trash. I gave him a demo locating pennies in a sea of pulltabs. He was really impressed.

Matt_SC

Nov 8, 2012
Upstate SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw, Eldorado & Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also suffer from this addiction. Sometimes the only relief is to get another Tesoro. Enjoy your new Silver!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iam i addicted to tesoros - TS, the best way to combat this illness;

Find a Minelab E-Trac or Excalibur (Depending on If you are a Land or water hunter) - Go out detecting for a couple hours.

When you start finding relics you have never found before - You are cured!!! Good Luck!!! 8-)

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am extremely loyal to the brand. My local detector shop was Hickory Valley Electric in Chattanooga. The owner , Amos Taylor has passed on , upward. The building is empty now. I still have memories of the early Gillford detectors. Amos loved to air test them for everyone. I remember him air testing the tiny C&G Wildcat and smiling so big ! Amos had such faith in Gillfords detectors that he and Hickory Valley became south eastern regional distributors for the new Tesoro brand . My first Tesoro was an Inca for relic hunting. I know where an almost brand new Sovereign GT with 2 loops is for $300 . I'm I going to buy it ? Naw... Owning a Tesoro is not a hobby. Its a passion.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I walked into a pawn shop looking for a guitar. Saw a Tesoro Silver uMax hanging on the wall. So loyal to this brand , I couldnt leave it there. I bought it , took it home. I had just bought the wife an Fisher F 2. She wants the Silver uMax and I supose I will give the Fisher to the kids. That Silver uMax is ONE bad ass machine !

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Find a Minelab E-Trac or Excalibur (Depending on If you are a Land or water hunter) - Go out detecting for a couple hours.

When you start finding relics you have never found before - You are cured!!! Good Luck!!! 8-)

Hmmm... Flute tones, heavy machines.... I don't think that's going to work.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iam i addicted to tesoros - TS, the best way to combat this illness; Find a Minelab E-Trac or Excalibur (Depending on If you are a Land or water hunter) - Go out detecting for a couple hours. When you start finding relics you have never found before - You are cured!!! Good Luck!!! 8-)
You read my mind RF! Take 2 aspirin and a ML and you will be cured in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck all it took for me was 1 x-terra 505 and I was completely healed! Feeling better than ever, just wish I had done it sooner.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck all it took for me was 1 x-terra 505 and I was completely healed! Feeling better than ever, just wish I had done it sooner.

And yet you are still hanging out in the Tesoro forum and even posting. It sounds to me that you are not completely cured! :BangHead:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 compadres a 5" and a 8".Did my christmas shopping and then got myself a tesoro silver umax.Should get it in a few days depending on shipping time.My only question is how good are they.And does anybody have anything negative to say about them.

They are fine detectors and I can find no fault with even the entry level ones.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread