I cant turn my Vaquero on sometimes - Anyone else?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't turn my Vaquero on sometimes - Anyone else?

OK Folks, anyone out there in Tesoroland have difficulties getting your machine to go on? It seems like every time I go detecting and turn on my machine it doesn't go on. Even with a new battery. :dontknow: After I attempt various things like; pulling out the battery and putting it back in, turning it off and on, unplugging the headphones and replugging, etc. it will finally start working. I'm not sure what's causing this mystery? The machines not that old. I was thinking it could be from storing it in my truck, but it happens whether it is hot or cold outside. It's almost like when old TV's needed the tubes to warm up before the TV would come on. :icon_scratch:
Any ideas?
Thanks,
MM

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had any problems like that, but it looks like you've tried everything I'd try. I assume its failed to come on without the headphones? Just wondering if there's a headphone issue that's resolved if the speaker is in use. I have several sets of phones that have a compatibility switch and sometimes it gets bumped to the wrong position in transport making me wonder if the detector is dead until I realize the problem.
luvsdux

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had any problems like that, but it looks like you've tried everything I'd try. I assume its failed to come on without the headphones? Just wondering if there's a headphone issue that's resolved if the speaker is in use. I have several sets of phones that have a compatibility switch and sometimes it gets bumped to the wrong position in transport making me wonder if the detector is dead until I realize the problem.
luvsdux

Thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes I think the toggle switch to my Grey Ghost headphones may be in the off position, but that's not the case. You do bring up a good point though as far as the headphones and now have me wondering. :icon_scratch: On yesterdays outing, once I diddled around with batteries and the knobs on the detector with no luck, I unplugged the headphones, turned the detector off and then on, and it seemed to work. I then plugged the headphones in and it was fine. Thanks for bringing that up. Maybe it's headphone related? I'll try that again next time out.
Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
follow up?
luvsdux

Sorry. nothing yet buddy. Between my eye healing from the surgery and the crappe' weather, I haven't been able to get out. I'm hoping to try again tomorrow before I have to go into work. It's supposed to be in the low 40's at least. :thumbsup:
Wish me luck,
MM

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
Thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes I think the toggle switch to my Grey Ghost headphones off position, but that's not the case. You do bring up a good point though as far as the headphones and now have me wondering. :icon_scratch: On yesterdays outing, once I diddled around with batteries and the knobs on the detector with no luck, I unplugged the headphones, turned the detector off and then on, and it seemed to work. I then plugged the headphones in and it was fine. Thanks for bringing that up. Maybe it's headphone related? I'll try that again next time out. Thanks, MM
Not sure if I have posted this on this forum or not but want to as I have on a number of other forums. I enjoy checking out/repairing/building headphones. I will check out and repair anyone that wants to send me their phones at no cost other than parts (if needed) and return shipping. Just my way of giving back a little for all the good I get from the forums. Steve.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
follow up?
luvsdux

OK, I made it over to that house again today. It was 37 degrees out here in NC. THIS TIME before I turned the machine on, I unplugged the headphones.
Guess what..... the detector came on perfectly. :hello2: Once I plugged in the headphones I was ready to go. I have no idea why it doesn't go on when the headphones are plugged in when I fire it up? :dontknow:
Thanks for the input LUVSDUX.
You helped my solve my problem. :thumbsup:
-MM-

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seemed like the one combo you apparently hadn't tried in the original post. Glad it worked, but don't know the "why" of it. Maybe you have a poor connection somewhere in the area of the headphone plug and the rest of the circuits.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread