When do you send them in for "retune"

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant speak on your case, just from personal experience communicating with Tesoro on purchasing new Coils, Tesoro recommends for optimal performance to send your detector and new coil purchased to the factory to have the detector tuned to the new coil, or at a happy medium between 2 coils that are used the most. Its not the Coils they are tuning, but the detector itself. It is my guess this is what the OP was referring to?
Scanman, that is right! Sorry, I was somehow not thinking about the non-GB adjustable machines! I do hear of many people sending a Tesoro in to be 're-tuned' who aren't doing a coil change. My point was, if nothing was wrong with a UMax a year ago, nothing should have changed causing it to be re-tuned or 'tuned-up'. The performance should not change. In my case and others, it was the coil not being properly wound in the first place that required the coil to be re-spun. Now that you mention it though, what adjustments would be made to the detector itself to tune it to the coil? I would assume they use the PC board mounted trimmers to adjust GB, sens, etc... to get optimum performance for each particular coil? Ok, so what about if you switch back to the original coil? Do you have to send it back to Tesoro AGAIN to get it 're-tuned' to the old coil?? I still find it odd how BOTH my F2 coils work great (8" dimes in ground with 4" coil) and no mention was made in the owners manual of the detector needing to be tuned to each coil.

Quote Scanman: I do not think Tesoro retuned your Coil, once they are set in resin, I do not think there are many repairs that can be made.

So Rusty may have lied to me? Man, I hope not. He broke the coil cover taking it off to 're-spin' the coil. Why bother taking coil cover off (and breaking it) if there is no reason to? He said it would take a few days for the resin to dry and they would ship out. It seemed like a messy job to me, but I had no reason to believe he lied to me and 2 other forum members who sent theirs in around the same time and also were told the coils were re-spun.

Last edited:

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote Scanman: I do not think Tesoro retuned your Coil, once they are set in resin, I do not think there are many repairs that can be made.

So Rusty may have lied to me? Man, I hope not. He broke the coil cover taking it off to 're-spin' the coil. Why bother taking coil cover off (and breaking it) if there is no reason to? He said it would take a few days for the resin to dry and they would ship out. It seemed like a messy job to me, but I had no reason to believe he lied to me and 2 other forum members who sent theirs in around the same time and also were told the coils were re-spun.

I have no idea? I would have guessed they just would of grabbed another coil off the shelf? The coil is encased in a hard resin, it was explained to me that there are few repairs that can be made to the coils.

This video covers how Tesoro's Coils are made:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea? I would have guessed they just would of grabbed another coil off the shelf? The coil is encased in a hard resin, it was explained to me that there are few repairs that can be made to the coils.

This video covers how Tesoro's Coils are made:

Thanks for that vid scan. I also saw Perry touring the White's facility in Oregon years ago on a much older 'Gold Fever' episode. I'm aware of how the coils are made. it's quite obvious on my X-Terra & Vaquero, that the coil 'cover' is actually the bottom of the coil! Removing it exposes the resin & it doesn't even seem feasible to take all the windings out of a hardened mass of resin. I just didn't think there was a reason to doubt what Rusty told me (& others). You can probably google 're-spin Tesoro coils' or something close & find others who were told their coil had been re-spun. If this is true that Rusty was feeding me BS, now I will be sure to never buy another Tesoro. the only reason I could think of he would have to 'fib' is that they were so backed up in repairs and the 'few days for the resin to dry' excuse is just to buy time. Still don't understand why he wouldn't just tell me 'Sorry, we are super busy- it's gonna be a couple weeks'. That would have been much more ethical. Too bad Nathan Jaeger never seems to post here anymore. He could put this all to rest real quick! Thanks again

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see my Video Channel getting some play! I have to say that this thread -is- entertaining! :laughing7:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see my Video Channel getting some play! I have to say that this thread -is- entertaining! :laughing7:
Come on Terry, that's all you have to say, lol? So do they actually scrape out all that resin and re-spin the coils?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on Terry, that's all you have to say, lol? So do they actually scrape out all that resin and re-spin the coils?

First, Rusty did not lie to you - I bet my yearly pay on that. Whether or not you understood what he said to you or not I have no way to tell. My strong advice is to call Rusty again, and have him explain to you once again the reason for, and the way Tesoro pre-set ground balanced machines are tuned to individual coils. There is a lot of bad info and speculation in this thread.

There are "Tuning wires" that are kept accessable when the cover is removed, so that the coil can be tuned to factory specs. Once the tuning is done these wires are re-epoxed back into place. The coil is NOT re-spun, as there is no need to do that. Instead of spreading and reading a lot of opinion, I always suggest getting the FACTS from Tesoro, which is the only metal detector manufacturer that you can call and get the President on the phone (or have call you back if he's not there), in the universe.

Be aware people, that there are Tesoro haters and rival manufacturer reps that spread misinformation about Tesoro products on purpose. Sad, but true. So, if you have a question about a Tesoro machine - CALL Tesoro - Tesoro Electronics, Inc. 715 White Spar Road Prescott, AZ, USA 86303 1-928-771-2646

OP
OP
dirtynails

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
Ok so is this my answer in short??

***On fixed GB machines they "could" be sent in to be retuned to "maximize" performance of a new non stock coil. ***

If so is there any way to tell what a new coil would be like without being retuned.

Been thinking about a bigger coil, right now I have the brown donut 8".

Maybe I should take Terry's advice and just call tesoro.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Rusty did not lie to you - I bet my yearly pay on that. Whether or not you understood what he said to you or not I have no way to tell. My strong advice is to call Rusty again, and have him explain to you once again the reason for, and the way Tesoro pre-set ground balanced machines are tuned to individual coils. There is a lot of bad info and speculation in this thread.

There are "Tuning wires" that are kept accessable when the cover is removed, so that the coil can be tuned to factory specs. Once the tuning is done these wires are re-epoxed back into place. The coil is NOT re-spun, as there is no need to do that. Instead of spreading and reading a lot of opinion, I always suggest getting the FACTS from Tesoro, which is the only metal detector manufacturer that you can call and get the President on the phone (or have call you back if he's not there), in the universe.

Be aware people, that there are Tesoro haters and rival manufacturer reps that spread misinformation about Tesoro products on purpose. Sad, but true. So, if you have a question about a Tesoro machine - CALL Tesoro - Tesoro Electronics, Inc. 715 White Spar Road Prescott, AZ, USA 86303 1-928-771-2646
i

Well Terry, the words re-wound & re-spun were used by Rusty Henry. I can probably find the hand written repair slip that Rusty put in the box and post it here if you still don't believe me. Then you will have to verify Rusty's handwriting to make sure I didn't forge the receipt to perpetrate this smear campaign, lol. Maybe I need to get out my Thesaurus to double check what those words re-spun or re-wound mean. I said I DON'T believe Rusty would have lied to me. He told me that the coil needed to he respun or rewound, & it would take a few days for the resin to dry. He never said 're-tuned' to me. Scanman is the one who said that the coils could not be re-spun. So...how do the wires that ARE accessible serve to tune up the coil? I had my coil cover off and there were no exposed "wires" everything was encased in the resin like a stegasaurus in a tar pit. Maybe I had a 'mystery vaquero' that didn't have said wires? Do you happen to have a pic that shows these wires, now Im really curious! I guess the other forum members who also said they had to have coil re-spun must not have a good grasp on the english language either. I don't believe Rusty was lying, but the more you tell me, the more it sounds that way. Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scott, I really suggest - again, that you simply call Tesoro and speak to Rusty, as you are confused. I'm not real sure what your negativity is about, and it is obvious you hold me in very low regard. With that said, I will simply let others take - or leave - my advice to get their information on Tesoro coils and preset ground balanced machines from Tesoro, rather than you.

I'll state this again.. Be aware that there are Tesoro haters and rival manufacturer reps that spread misinformation about Tesoro products on purpose. So if you have a question about a Tesoro machine or coil - CALL Tesoro - Tesoro Electronics, Inc. 715 White Spar Road Prescott, AZ, USA 86303 1-928-771-2646

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, I really suggest - again, that you simply call Tesoro and speak to Rusty, as you are confused. I'm not real sure what your negativity is about, and it is obvious you hold me in very low regard. With that said, I will simply let others take - or leave - my advice to get their information on Tesoro coils and preset ground balanced machines from Tesoro, rather than you.

I'll state this again.. Be aware that there are Tesoro haters and rival manufacturer reps that spread misinformation about Tesoro products on purpose. So if you have a question about a Tesoro machine or coil - CALL Tesoro - Tesoro Electronics, Inc. 715 White Spar Road Prescott, AZ, USA 86303 1-928-771-2646
Ok Terry, You know that I respect your opinion and the many years of experience you have. I'm sure if you search this or other forums you will see that I actually stated that in at least one post. However, I take it as an insult for you to say that I am still "confused" about Rusty saying that he had to "re-spin the coil". I know what Rusty said, and if you refute that, then you do not deserve the respect I have previously given you. I still really believe that Rusty "re-spun the coils" and I quote again "it will take a few days for the resin to dry, and we will ship it back to you", BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT HE SAID. Maybe you should just ask him yourself, before calling me a liar, huh? I know you aren't very far from Prescott, being in Congress. I still have no reason to believe that Rusty would lie to me and others. If the coil is not serviceable and Rusty told me it was, why do you believe that I would have some reason to mis-quote Rusty? I LOVED my Compadre and there are MANY posts where I stated just that. I knew nothing of coils being 're-spun' until Rusty had said this was necessary for my Vaquero. I will have to post a pic of the work order since you obviously still don't believe me. I have since sold my Vaquero after getting the coil "re-spun" & receiving a 'final testing ok' on the invoice. Another forum member sent his Vaquero in along with his 5.75 concentric and stock coil & both were "re-spun" according to Rusty. A simple search on this forum will verify this if you are interested & and you actually responded to some of the aforementioned posts! BTW, what about the exposed wires that you said can be used to "tune" the coil, or was I "confused" about you stating that on your previous post? I would still like an answer to that one (if an answer is indeed available)! Just cause someone said it, don't make it so!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys, I've been through all this some years ago. Often, you can change the coils and do nothing as they'll work just fine on the preset machines. However, if the performance is obviously less than it should be, send it in. If you are going to use a different coil all or most of the time, IT MAY be worth sending it in and having it calibrated in order to get the maximum potential from that coil and box combination. In my case I've swapped coils often with no problem although I have a 10X12 spider that will false slightly when mounted on my DeLeon. The problems if any, are more likely to show on larger coils as they read more ground.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread