Questions to ask on a used Vaquero

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new to the hobby and had narrowed my choices to a Compadre or a Fisher F2. However there's a listing on another site that has a used Vaquero for 299. The seller says it's in "used but great condition". He also said the warranty card hasn't been sent in so presumably the warranty could still be available.

I can't justify a new Vaquero's price, but since I'm in the mineralized South and would also like to hit beaches occasionally, I like the idea of an adjustable ground balance.

My question is, what should I ask/look for to make sure I'm not getting an abused detector?

Thanks in advance.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a Compadre or a Fisher F2 are both awesome machines. They are like a really great sub compact car. A Vaquero would be like a BMW 6 CAR or a New Camaro . Does this help ? Go with the Vaquero. Buy you wife the F 2

OP
OP
S

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I definitely want to get the Vaquero as long as I can make sure the used one I'm looking at is a good machine.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are in a position to get "hands on" look it over carefully for obvious signs of abuse beyond reasonable use marks, slide the lower pole in and out to see if it moves freely and have the seller demonstrate how it works.
luvsdux

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to check out the coil, make sure it has no deep scratches. If there is a coil cover on, take it off and check the coil itself. Open up the battery compartment and check for rusting or signs that it might have gotten wet. After putting the batteries back, turn it on and run it over some target to make sure it is sounding off on targets. Be sure to try this with and without headphones so you can be sure the audio is working.

If it seems fine after checking all of this, it is a good buy, as a Vaquero runs about $450 new. Its a good, rugged and deep machine and at great buy at $300

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also get the serial # and see if the good folks at Tesoro can tell you the manufacture date. I believe it was Reid that replied when I asked this question just a couple weeks ago. You could also see if current owner would have it checked out by Tesoro but that costs about $50 so maybe a negotiating point for you. The other responders above have all given you some good advice. Good Luck and HH!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it has the warranty card with it, buy it and send in the card. That way if there is a problems, you are covered.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has the warranty card with it, buy it and send in the card. That way if there is a problems, you are covered.

You can't do that anymore. Warranty card or not, if you are not the original owner you don't have any warranty. It's not like it used to be. With Vince at the helm, there are no more favors. He's doing the right thing from a business perspective.

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that my fellow T'netters is why I generally buy new detectors if at all possible for my primary machine. For a backup machine a used one is great as long as you educate yourself re: the condition, etc. before buying. Besides, I really like that "new metal detector" smell!!Lol!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't do that anymore. Warranty card or not, if you are not the original owner you don't have any warranty. It's not like it used to be. With Vince at the helm, there are no more favors. He's doing the right thing from a business perspective.
It has nothing to do with Vince no longer being in charge. It's all the Tesoro owners who think they should just send a machine in for the hell of it (for a tune-up???) cause it's free! People abused the system and now it has bitten the customers in the ass. I don't blame Tesoro one bit, they must have been losing money hand over fist, wasting resources checking peoples machines that are working perfectly fine, and paying to re-ship them. Sad so many people took advantage of them.

rws51

May 12, 2009
You can pick up a nice Vaquero for 300.00 about anytime on the different detector classifieds. I wouldn't pay 300.00 for a well worn Vaquero personally.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pick up a nice Vaquero for 300.00 about anytime on the different detector classifieds. I wouldn't pay 300.00 for a well worn Vaquero personally.

Yep, I agree. I personally had better/deeper finds and dug way less trash with my F2! Once I used it, I couldnt go back to the Vaq. For my money a used F5 or X-Terra 505 would be a much better choice.

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
I just bought another about 2 weeks ago from a local dealer for $279. This is the 2nd V I've owned and I'm impressed with them for the price. I just finished doing a vid on the SuperTuning airtest with the stock coil. If you like check it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread