All Treasure Hunting

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you know if the ground is very mineralized in your area? The Cortes will only ground balance in All Metal Mode and not Disc. Mode. If the ground in your area is mineralized you might consider a Vaquero that has a ground balance in both modes. If you call one of the forum sponsors you can get a Vaq for maybe a tick over what you are going to pay for the Cortes. However, $400 is a steal on a Cortes and it is a great performing detector from what I have read and been told.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not do it. While the Cortes is a good machine it is a complicated machine, and not a good starter. It has problems in highly mineralized soils and tends to get "chatty" or give lots of mixed signals in extremely trashy areas. My opinion is you would be better served buying a new Vaquero, or an Outlaw as your first Tesoro. Whatever you decide, Tesoro will be there with customer service and tech support.

Good Luck - Terry

rws51

May 12, 2009
I tried the Cortes and did not like that it didn't have manual ground balance in the disc mode.
The SUM feature was a waste of time and effort in my opinion... unloaded the detector as soon as I could and got a Vaquero.

OP
OP
Y

Youngster1972

Greenie
Jan 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of your help. I am anxious to buy a Tesoro.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one and like it. Don't find it too complicated at all and it does well in the parks and fair grounds etc. where I use it. (mild ground) I agree with the concerns about ground balancing as I believe anyone that is going to have just one detector should choose one that has either manual ground balance or true auto ground tracking as these features are a must in more minerlized ground.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions