Cibola vs Compadre Please help/explain. I am stumped!!!

Jul 16, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my daughter a compadre for Christmas. I have had my cibola for about 7 months. Did a few air test when i first got it and was happy. When i did
some air test on her compadre i put a small dot on the face were the caltrop i used in the video would be detected on her compadre. I then tried the
caltrop on my cibola and nothing at all. The cibola was set at min disc. with thresh and sens at the level i hunt. Her compadre was at min disc. As you can see in the video the compadre picked it up but the cibola did not....(this was not in the video) when i held down the pinpoint button it did pick up the caltrop. i don't want to miss something like this but cant hunt all the time holding down the pinpoint button...lol. Is there something wrong with my cibola???

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
I'm not positive about this answer but....

I think it has to do with what kind of disc each machine has. The compadre has a 180 or true all metal type disc dial. I think the cibola runs at 120 which means it it will not pick up some irons no matter how far you turn her dial down.
I have a silver sabre umax which is very close to the cibola and it doesn't make a sound when going over rusty nails and things like that. When I press the pin point button which is all metal it picks that stuff up.

I may be completely wrong though. Not even sure if I explained it properly. Oh well good luck

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to worry. Actually, a simple explanation and you'll be glad to know there's nothing wrong with your Cibola. It has to do with "acceptance" . Many detectors are designed to pass over small iron/steel trash when the detector is in the discrimination mode. In other words, there is a bit of discrimination even with the setting at 0 so 0 discrimination is NOT the same as all metal. Your pinpoint button when activated puts the Cibola into all metal and the targets are now accepted. The reason for the difference with the Compadre is the Compadre when turned on, but not set into the discrimination area is always in all metal and therefore it recognized the target.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Phantom Digger
Jul 16, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much y'all. That explains it. I guess my daughter is gonna out hunt me on the good iron relics. Good for her i hope she always out hunts me. As long as we both find some good targets i will be happy. The most important thing is spending time together and getting outdoors. I'm just waiting on my son to get one so he can get out there with us. Again thanks so much for the info i feel much better about my cibola now.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should have no problem with larger iron, by the way.
luvsdus

OP
OP
Phantom Digger
Jul 16, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should have no problem with larger iron, by the way.
luvsdus

Yes it picks up the large piece of cannon ball with no problem at all. I am very happy with my Cibola cant wait to get back out there.
Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread