PROBLEM WITH TEJON TODAY...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st I worry way too much

I just got home from a relic hunt .
When I first arrived at my site I turned on my Tejon (ground balanced etc,)
Then noticed every time my (Stock) coil barley struck a sapling or a small rock or if I tapped it with my foot , it would sound off LOUD ,with each tap on the coil it would sound off!:icon_scratch:

So then I unscrewed the coil plug from the jack ( the machine made a steady humm) when it was unplugged ; is that normal?
Then I screwed the jack back in and made sure it was good & tight ,Then the machine started toning out of control- so I loosend the jack slightly and the machine settled down - to where I could at least hunt but every time the coil struck a small tree or rock it would sound off but nowhere nIear as bad as it was at first, tho I could barely thump the metal screw in jack part and it would tone every time.

I used the machine on friday and it was ok then.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem and if so is it most likely the Coil thats the issue.

I made the machine work from 900 am - 500 pm so it does work I just have to go slow and not run into anything .
I was just about to purchase a "Sniper " coil but if there's a problem in the box ,I:dontknow:.

A short history of the machine is --
I bought it Used a year ago from a friend who also bought it used so , No Warranty
That said the detector only had about 5-10 hours of field use ( the bottom of the coil was barely scratched).
Also it's an older model (not sure how old ) but where the serial # is it says Tesoro's 25th Ann,.

The Detector worked like normal other than the coil bumping and jack "tapping " issues.

As I stated ..Has anyone else had this type of problem? and if so was it the coil & how was it fixed.?

Sorry for the rant but this has worried me all day. & actually had some decent finds & that's really the only reason Im not Wigging out more .
Good Evening All & thanks..
Davers..:thumbsup:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming you have the coil cable wrapped so that it isn't flopping easily, especially near the coil my next thought is there may be a loose wire in or near the coil. I have a 7" coil that responds to a light bump or tap even though it works just fine so I keep debating with myself to send it in. As to loosening the connection, unless it was tight enough to pull something inside out of shape, can't tell you, but if it continues to happen, I'd suspect the box might need a look. If you have any buddies close that have compatible coils you might try changing to see what happens.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming you have the coil cable wrapped so that it isn't flopping easily, especially near the coil my next thought is there may be a loose wire in or near the coil. I have a 7" coil that responds to a light bump or tap even though it works just fine so I keep debating with myself to send it in. As to loosening the connection, unless it was tight enough to pull something inside out of shape, can't tell you, but if it continues to happen, I'd suspect the box might need a look. If you have any buddies close that have compatible coils you might try changing to see what happens.
luvsdux

Thanks for the reply luvsdux.

The coil is def, wrapped tight. & The coil is acting just like you describe your 7" coil does.
And yesterday was the first time I have disconnected the coil from the box since I got the machine.

I found , as long as the "Connector" is set in a certain position it seemed to work just fine , unless
The coil was tapped or the connector was touched "Directly " or somewhere in the first foot or so of the wire (as it comes out of the box):
like - when on my knees and I picked the machine up about half way down the rod to re-scan a hole. & at that point the MD would Sound off..
It's funny all 4 Whites machines I have owned "chirped" when the coil struck a tree or rock And I had srota gotten used to it .
& Was happy the Tejon did not do that.

I wish I had another coil to check the machine with but don't at this time.

Oh well I may give Tesoro a call and just hope it's an easy fix ; as my "money is funny"= I,m pretty broke at this time.
Happy Hunting
Davers

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil could be be bad or on the way out. Also on my two detectors I have had shorts appear at the connectors. Even with a new coil I can get a false if I hit wet grass or a twig. Not all my coils do this, but this is normal. You should not have to run a connector loose, that is a problem. I use Velcro strips to hold my coil wire so it doesnt wiggle. It may be time for a new machine, if you are loosing confidence in it.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah
I,m now 95% sure it's the Connector ( just strange that it worked fine on Friday & on Sunday this issue pops up).
I don't recall the coil wire being pulled or snagged in any way since friday when I last used it .
Once I tweaked it the machine worked as normal ,( it had to ,I had just walked over a mile back into the woods).
Ill likely "like you said" use a piece of Velcro or tape to hold the wire in place where it does not wiggle in the connector junction .& Search slow and carefully witch is likely the best way to hunt anyway .
Until I can test the machine with another loop.
Thanks for the reply
Davers :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With these older coils the coils of wire inside the coil become loose and that is where a bump causes them to sound off. It might be time for a new coil and to send it in anyway. Even though you bought it double used, Tesoro may fix it for free anyway as is their custom.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Thanks Sandman..:thumbsup:

Ill give them a call soon & if all works well I will likely purchase a smaller "Sniper" coil
from them. ( for those trashy home sites).

Davers:hello2:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll find the smaller coil is a very good addition.
luvsdux

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
I was told the other day from a friend that had to send in his water machine to Tesoro and he spoke to them on the phone and there is now a $50 charge for sending in a machine. Thats automatic. They can't service all the used machines out there for free. Don't know what it includes but I guess people were just sending in machines to be checked out with nothing wrong. Might want to verify that so you have no surprises.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this is True.
I spoke with a man at Tesoro yesterday & that,s exactly what he said...

He said the 50 dollars would cover a loop connector issue but if the loop was bad I would have to buy a new one.

I was not clear if the 50 dollars covered any "BOX" repairs.

I wanted to first see if the coil/ coil wire was indeed bad , so I called a local Dealer and got no call back.

Ill give him another call today ,if I don't hear from him by around 2ish
I,m 99% sure it,s the coil connector .

I,m tempted to try to rework the coil plug myself but .:dontknow:
Ill Likely get a new coil ( if I can try it out at this dealer who lives in the same city I do) or just send it off & let Tesoro Handle it.
Oh Well
Happy Hunting
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose ill box up the tejon tomorrow and send it to AZ
50 bucks what the heck.
I never heard back from my local dealer ( no business for him in the future!!)

I have come to enjoy the machine over the last year and its my go to machine for relic hunting.
Davers

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could find someone with another Tesoro and switch coils and see how it performs. Thats what I did when I bought a used Tejon and it was hard to handle. What I mean is that I thought I could pick up any Tesoro ever made , look at the controls and turn it on , tune it and take off detecting. It wasnt that way. It was really unstable which baffled me. Mine had done some of the same things that you describe like bumping something and it going out of tune and also adjusting the ground balance , then start swinging the coil and it then becoming UN GROUND , I put a coil on mine from a friends Cibola and the Tejon worked like a bandit ! No problems. Then I put my coil back on and got problems. Then I wiggled the wire going into the coil and wham ! There it was ! A short ! A lose or broken wire causing all my problems. See if you can borrow another Tesoro coil and see if its in the coil

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now after '
Having my Father in law ( a retired computer tech) have "A look at it Yesterday"
It still don't work right.
I'm def, going to send it off Tomorrow to Tesoro.
Hopefully it will be an easy cheap fix.
Just sick of worrying about it .
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Tejon arrived in Prescott AZ yesterday [pm] .
Now i,m just waiting to hear from them.
I hope the news is good /cheap.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Davers! That sucks! Sounds like it's time to get a Minelab, Fisher or White's. RARELY (other than a few CTX 3030's) do you hear of problems with any of these brands. It just boggles the mind how many people have had to return their Tesoro (at least once). Thank God for the Tesoro lifetime warranty....you're gonna need it! Good luck HH

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn Davers! That sucks! Sounds like it's time to get a Minelab, Fisher or White's. RARELY (other than a few CTX 3030's) do you hear of problems with any of these brands. It just boggles the mind how many people have had to return their Tesoro (at least once). Thank God for the Tesoro lifetime warranty....you're gonna need it! Good luck HH

Scott is the President of the "Tesoro Hater's Club." No Scott, nobody EVER has to send in their Minelab, Fisher or Whites detector - LMAO!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott is the President of the "Tesoro Hater's Club." No Scott, nobody EVER has to send in their Minelab, Fisher or Whites detector - LMAO!
Have you ever read the definition of the word 'rarely'? I even capitalized it to make it easy for you. Re-read the post and you will see that word. It would be a tough task to add up all the post's on this forum and others of people asking 'is something wrong with my Tesoro?' OR 'is my Tesoro broken?' OR 'is this normal?' OR words to that effect. So I guess you are the Prez of the Tesoro seller's club? That must be a tough job! ROTF LMAO

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever read the definition of the word 'rarely'? I even capitalized it to make it easy for you. Re-read the post and you will see that word. It would be a tough task to add up all the post's on this forum and others of people asking 'is something wrong with my Tesoro?' OR 'is my Tesoro broken?' OR 'is this normal?' OR words to that effect. So I guess you are the Prez of the Tesoro seller's club? That must be a tough job! ROTF LMAO

Go drink your koolaid, go back to the Minelab forum and whine over there. Really- do need to come over here and do nothing but nag and badmouth Tesoro? Grow up and get on with your life.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go drink your koolaid, go back to the Minelab forum and whine over there. Really- do need to come over here and do nothing but nag and badmouth Tesoro? Grow up and get on with your life.
Ok bro, I tried to help you, but you go ahead & just keep wasting money on those beep and digs. I can only PERSONALLY speak about the Vaquero from my experience, but I've read about many other T's being sent back for repair. If you spent $450 on a detector and realized your $200 detector found more stuff in the same spots, you would be pissed too! You have no idea what you are missing. If you could ever make up your mind and actually BUY an X-Terra, I'm sure you will agree with me and your 'other' detectors will probably be collecting dust. Either progress or get left behind. Oh, actually I have plenty to do, I'm going detecting today at an old home site, since it's 75 degrees and sunny here today. Since you have no idea how much better a detector could be, keep spinning your knobs & waving your Tesoro banner with pride. While you are busy trying to figure out what's in the ground, I will already be on the next target! HH

Last edited:

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Atomic Scott, you must have a totally miserable life, if you dwell on every bad experience that comes your way. You'll feel a whole lot better to just get over it and move on with your life. Good luck and hope you get to feeling better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread