compadre

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 8" for general detecting, however if you detect just around iron infected sites, then the 5" would be best. But a 5" while searching a field or park can be prtty daughnting.

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like HDRK stated above, it really depends on what type of sites you will be hunting. If you have a trashy area, you'll probably want the 5" coil. If you're still looking for a dealer, I would strongly suggest contacting Tom at Miller MDZ. Look for him in the vendors section toward the bottom of the Forum page.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the 8" coil for a little bit more depth. In trashy areas the difference between the 5.75" and the 8" is minimal at best. Go get some!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Terry said get it with the 8" to get more depth. I have the 8" on my Silver uMax and it separates really well in the trashy areas.

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I had to cut my initial reply short before completing it but I was going to add....
With the smaller coil you are going to be covering less area and losing some depth. I have a Compadre with an 8" coil and love it, but I've never used the 5.75 so I really don't know how much better it is in trashy areas. Terry (above) knows his stuff so I'm going to take his word for it.

Good Luck

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kellyco site says for the 8" for more coverage and are hunting a less trashy area. I plan to be in trashy areas. Well I feel that there will be a lot of pull tabs and caps where I'm looking to hunt. So is 8" going to be better or worse in trashy areas??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a personal choice, the bigger the coil the more targets under your coil at same time in trashy areas...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm going to just get the 8". Other question is is the Compadre able to go in water. Like ponds or shores on lake

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 5.75" works your tail end off in swinging open areas. I have used my Compradre in shallow puddles, but you can't get the housing wet.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I could go to the shore of a lake and put a foot of the rod and coil under water? Sounds like a win, what about sand??

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first silver in about 2 feet of water with my Compadre. Later in the day, I dropped it in the water. Pulled battery quick, opened cover, dried out with handkerchief and went right back hunting. That was 3 years ago and still no problems. My daughter took it over when she moved back home and took it with her when she moved. She has found several silver rings and lots of other goodies. What a GREAT little machine!

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did it. Bought the compadre with an 8" coil. Will post results as soon as it comes in. Weather permitting!

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great choice !

I have owned one for 4 years (we had it here in Europe before you guys) and stupidly sold it a few months ago, but at the same time, it was to help a friend getting back to the hobby. It has found me over 10.000 coins in those four years (beach hunting) and got me a fair share of jewelry. You will get 8" on an US quarter, and the unit excells in trash. Be aware that increasing the disc above the 5c setting wil reduce depth.

By the way, the coin of your avatar is well known to me...Found in the US?

HH

Grumpy

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My avatar coin I found going through a coworkers jug of pennies. Thought the miner was suiting to what we do here on this site!

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My avatar coin I found going through a coworkers jug of pennies. Thought the miner was suiting to what we do here on this site!

Indeed !

It's a belgian 20 or 50 cent coin. If it's a 1954 one reading "belgique" "20 centimes", you're a lucky guy ! Very rare !

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread