Tigershark, can it find gold nuggets?

Thorgrim

Nov 7, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta
I am brand new to metal detecting and will be purchasing my first machine soon. I had thought about getting a basic machine to get started but I am pretty sure that I will enjoy MD'ing enough to warrant spending more on a machine. I can always sell it and recoup some of my money anyway.

The problem I'm having though is that I want to try a bit of everything. Coin and nugget hunting as well as beach/water hunting. I have even started planning a vacation this summer where I will be able to spend a couple of weeks doing all three. From the reading I've done so far the Tiger shark seems to be a fairly good machine out of the water as well. However I haven't heard anyone here mention having tried it on nuggets. Tesoro's website though does say it can be used for that purpose. Any comments on this would be helpful.

Another option would be to get a machine that would be better for just nugget hunting and coin shooting and purchase a water proof machine at a later date.

I would say that $600-700 is the upper range I am willing to spend on a machine. I have found a dealer that is not too far away that is selling the Tiger Shark new for $699 cdn.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted the Tiger Shark will work for nuggets in the all metal mode, it does not have the gain a true gold detector would need to do a good job. I haven't used it for nuggets, but it will find bird shot easy.

Having a true coin/relic detector is one choice. Having a Super Lobo is for the nuggets. An the TS for a water machine. It is hard to have one detector try to do it all. It comes out a compromise on everyting with nothing done well. That is why many of us have more than one detector. If you can afford just one for now, try to decide what you will do the most.

Good Luck,
Sandman

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive tried the Tiger Shark on many small lead bits. Lead is clsoe to gold on the table of the elements and suffices as a test sample in it's stead. My T-Shark will pick up on fired .22 bullets easily, although there isnt a lot of depth.

DO what the Sandman says...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread