Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry , we had the same issue. All you need to do is turn off the WIFI, but just about everyone in my hood has theirs up and running so I had a hard time finding a quiet part of the house. That chatter, chatter is proof of how good it is. Now just imagine how sensitive its gonna be in some nice quiet park or ball field!!! Yeah buddy thats what Im talking about! Also beware of overhead power lines they will give you chatter too. Peace.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately for 8" Compadre users, is that they can be rendered completely useless in some areas due to interference. People can talk all day about how sensitive they are but if it doesn't work, who cares how sensitive it is! However, in areas they do work in, they work very well.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read on here somewhere that a cell phone causes them issues. Anyone know anything about this

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read on here somewhere that a cell phone causes them issues. Anyone know anything about this

Yep, shut it off!

If you find that the Compadre just becomes more trouble than what it's worth as far as emi is concerned, you have to trade up to something with sensitivity adjustment. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first metal detector. I'm hoping I can fond some decent things with it. And if I really get into the hobby(I see no doubt I will) I'll trade up next season!

dirtynails

Mar 21, 2013
This is my first metal detector. I'm hoping I can fond some decent things with it. And if I really get into the hobby(I see no doubt I will) I'll trade up next season!

I bet you won't actually "trade" next season. You'll probably just buy one with more bells and whistles but keep the compadre. That's what I did and I'm sure many others on here. I still break out the compadre often because it's just sooo fun and fast.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Inside the house I have had some trouble with all my detectors do to EMI of one kind or another, outside it all goes away.

In 3 years and several hundreds of hours hunting with my Compadre, with the sensitivity turned up to the max internally so it is very "hot", I have only come across one site where I had to turn up my disc knob high to stop noise that was higher than I really wanted to do.
Even near or under power lines, in direct site of towers, up a mountain withing direct line of site of every radio, tv station and cell tower for miles around and all other situations I have come across there has never been one site where it became so noisy it was unusable.
Most times a slight turn on the knob from my usual low area of all metal or iron gets rid of any noise in the very rare times it does happen, not enough to really matter and it never enough to affect my hunting or the things I can find.

Don't worry, take it out and start hunting with no worries.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Walk outside, put the coil to the ground, listen to how noisy it's not. Don't sweat the small stuff in a house full of EMI!!! Get out and hunt with it. Even if the ground is frozen and your up to your armpits in snow yet, take it out to a park, put the coil to the ground, turn it on, and I bet you have no noise.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out in my own backyard today dug this

ForumRunner_20140326_203333.png

It seems to be copper it is non magnetic and has a copper look on the back.

Also the machine would sometimes beep at the end of my swing at the exact moment I started to return my swing. Think left to right and as soon as I start to go back left. After like 10 times checking those areas the sound would not duplicate

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love looking at other peoples finds! Thanks. Also find some nice quite field and I bet it will stop chattering.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah hopefully this weekend or next I can get out for an hour

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread