compadre silver question.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
You can't disc out silver coins, well, silver war nickels you can because they are only 35% silver and come in lower, but if everything is at factory specs on the big C copper cents, clad dimes and anything higher and all other silver coins will still beep at full and max disc if they are within scanning range and depth of your coil.
When you move the disc knob from all metal up to the higher ranges you will lose a little depth along the way.
Not a whole bunch and the amount could be different on every Compadre, slightly, but you will lose a little.
I have had many iffy pretty deep targets that were not really solid at even 1/2 way up on the disc that became full and clear and loud when I moved the knob back down to lower levels so that is how I always hunt now...
To get the clearest most stable signal possible the knob is set at just a hair below the i in iron or even down to all metal, (a little higher than the n in iron in areas with so much tiny little foil pieces I stop digging those but rarely ever higher than this), and thumb the knob up to see where they disc out and then slowly down while passing the coil over the target with quick short swipes and listen hard to how they come back in.
A ton of information is revealed when you do it this way on target type and making a guess on what is good and what is trash if you know what to listen for.

The best targets are the ones that don't disc out, don't blow my ears off in my headphones, don't paint as a huge item when moving the coil over the area, don't have a sustained longer tone as the coil is moved over the target, don't beep with the coil raised high over the target, and don't sound "tinny" like aluminum always does to me.
Those are usually going to be coins or coin sized objects like nice sized silver rings that you want to dig...always.
If you are lucky and hunting in the right place, could be a silver coin, too.

I know you stated in another post that all you want to find is coins and that's great if that is the way you want to do it.
For me, that is crazy thinking.
This thing is the best chain sniffer you will ever swing and the size of targets it can pick up is nothing short of amazing.
Really tiny earring studs in silver and gold all the way up to big ole gold rings is what this thing excells at...along with being one of the best coin shooters out there.

Hit your sites, clean out all the coins and then call me and let me know their locations and I will be happy to clean out all that pesky jewelry you don't want.
Who knows, I might just help you out by removing a big gold ring that could be masking a clad or silver dime so I will leave those and you can come back and get it.
Deal? :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to shoot coins first. Got a site that is really close to my house that I'm using as a training ground. Going to try and dig coins first. Then as I figure out what I'm doing go back and dig for more. As far as I can tell no one in my direct area detects.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I think I read somewhere you are in Oakland County.
I used to live there, Oak Park, Troy, among other cities.
No other hunters around that park...maybe, but there are several in Oakland County.
I think this guy lives there, hunts all over the place and many parks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichiganCoinHunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread